• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Strom 2 - The sequel

mitchntx

Follower of Rev. Doug
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Last Name
Warren
The dog owner basically told Jim and I to pound sand.
John Flippen of Glen Rose, Texas is a heckuva ****** bag.
Karma sucks ...

Been searching lists and sites for a few weeks looking for parts or donors and found this nugget ...

Strom_2_01.jpg

An 06 with 7K miles.
The cost was about the repair costs associated with fully repairing everything on the wrecked 05 ... almost all is cosmetic.
I made a flying trip to Austin today and brought her home.

So the plan is to take most of the farkles off the 05 and put them on the 06. Repair the 05 back into a rider once again and sell it to recoup some of the costs.

Last edited:
Have your insurance company contact their insurance company and they should settle it out without you having to get involved. Doesn't really matter what the home owner says. It's not up to him whether or not his insurance is liable.

My insurance company doesn't care either. I only have liability.

I'm sorry that happened to you. That could be a small clams case and or I'd bet that a lawyer might take it on a contingency basis. Of course he'd want a sizable cut. If nothing else, being served with papers might motivate the home owner to call his insurance company.

Good luck with the rebuild and the new bike.

I'm sorry that happened to you. That could be a small clams case and or I'd bet that a lawyer might take it on a contingency basis. Of course he'd want a sizable cut. If nothing else, being served with papers might motivate the home owner to call his insurance company.

Good luck with the rebuild and the new bike.
While I would normally not be a fan of the lawyer approach, in this situation I would say go for it. People seem to think if they are big enough dirtbags they can intimidate their way out of taking responsibility. Which is working more and more because most normal folks don't want to call lawyers.

Really glad you're ok, that's the main thing, and you got a good looking 06!
Hope you get back to enjoying the bike soon, take care.
You know you will need to show us pics of the re-build right?

Hey Mitch, lets make a nekkid V-Strom...:rider:

I'm looking at a Jim switch. That would deploy a 360* air bag. :eek2:

Talked with a lawyer. He too said a stern letter might be enough. I doubt it would. Contingency is 25-40% depending upon the judgement. Small claims is limited to $1200.

There are no "witnesses" other than the flippin Flippens. Lawyer said the defense could say the dog was already dead and Jim crashed trying to avoid. Need conclusive evidence that the dog caused the accident. Flippin Flippen lawyers.

Trying to decide what is worth moving and instead of ordering new farkles.

Last edited:
Hey Mitch.... you do kno a bunch of the 650 stuff will also fit 1000s.
Upper fairing...lights...windshield... guage trim panel... tank...frt side tank trim... seats... lugg rack..... frt footpeg assys (although 650 are steel brkts) frt fender... wheels 04-06 (bearing swap)

Thanks, Rod.

I recall you telling me that at Bill's in Burnet.
I found a Givi tall screen from a Wee for $30

Upper fairing ... is that the headlight surround? That I didn't know.

You people are being mean to me ...

You know you will need to show us pics of the re-build right?

I sometimes forget to take photos in progress. But I'll update when its possible.

Cooler temps this morning so I went for the inaugural ride. Put about 60 miles on it just to make sure all was OK.

And here she is before anything has begun.

Strom_2_02.jpg

Removed the Jesse pans and mounts along with the slip-ons From Strom 1.

WiP_01.jpg

And moved them over to Strom 2

The mounting bracket on the right side was tweaked pretty good. So it came on and off many times till I was satisfied I couldn't do any more good.

WiP_02.jpg

WiP_03.jpg

I had considered buying a new mount but Jesse no longer has the Gen 1 Strom mounts available. So, I had to fix this one. It's still off a tad, but close enough.

I found a set of used AltRider crash bars on eBay, made an offer and got them cheap. They will be a nice addition to Strom 2.

I've systematically reinstalled parts back onto Strom 1.
She still runs strong and is none the worse for wear.
I'm leaving the crash bars on her along with the Madstad bracket.
The plan is to sell her and recoup some of the cash spent in repairs. But she's such a great old bike ...

Last edited:
Bring it by ... must see it.
There might be some parts I need. :trust:

The way I had it figured was since you are already wrenching on yours, I could just leave mine in the driveway once a month for service. You could call when it's ready to pick up.:zen:

The way I had it figured was since you are already wrenching on yours, I could just leave mine in the driveway once a month for service. You could call when it's ready to pick up.:zen:

OK ... do that and I'll call when I'm "done". :rider:

Peg relocation swapped over and replacement/fixed footpeg and brake pedal is on Strom 1.

Got it buttoned up to the point where I rode it around the block. Seemed to track straight and true. No funny sounds or feels.

I kept looking at this and looking ... it just didn't seem right.

WiP_03.jpg

The exhaust is what is shifted. Upon further scrutiny there are differing width spacers.

Much better ...

WiP_04.jpg

Maddstad
Windshield
Crash bars
Lowering pegs
Throttle lock

All installed on S2

On S1, replaced ...

peg mount
brake pedal
tweaked maddstad
windshield

Decided to leave the fork brace and 4-piston brakes on S1 and replace the brakes on S2 with new stuff.

All that is left is moving PC3 and Eastern beaver electrical box and the center stand.

We've got to do a South o' the Plex M&G soon. You'll bring the Strom, right?

Back