• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Emma Long City Park UPDATE

Dao

Reaction score
This morning, I got a txt saying :
"austin city council meeting at 11:30am, come help emma long."

So I rode my bike into downtown, and sat in on the meeting.

THREE(!) speakers from FOEL, (Friends of Emma Long), got up to voice concerns about the BCP (Balcones Canyonland Preserve) shenanigans. What FOEL's (Friends of Emma Long) saying, is that the BCP is withholding info on their own studies that claimed the protected species bird is declining due to m/c riding activities. Therefore 1/3rd of the park, including Connors Creek (the jewel of Emma), will be closed off, and stay closed indefinitely.

FOEL, (Friends of Emma Long), have provided proof to BCP that there IS NO loss/damage/deaths of the protected bird directly related to motorcycle riding out there (it's the opposite, they're flourishing). Their request to see the BCP's studies has been refused, and BCP's ignored subsequent requests to come to the table for negotiations.

That BCP is refusing to cooperate in good faith is eroding the trust between the two parties. Thus, FOEL has no other recourse but to approach the Austin city council to request that this issue be put on the docket.

I found out that my council member, ACTIVIST Leslie Pool is against Emma Long m/c park. So I must, -we must!!!, do something to correct that come Nov. 8, 2016 General Election. Her opponent is Natalie Gauldin, an Allandale homeowner. SHe's got my vote!

HOwever, some of the council members present, Sheri P. Gallo Dist10 & Don Zimmerman Dist 6 expressed appreciation towards FOEL for bringing this up to their attention and they are eager to help move our agenda forward. THey're our friends, We Austinintes need to re-elect them.

Also, we had some dignitaries sit in on our side: Kevin Schwantz, Will Hendrix and a couple other notable elders sat in on the council meeting. After the meeting, Mayor Steve Adler and Mr. Schwantz shared some small talk. Come to find out, they are good friends. :clap::clap: so, things are looking rather favorable.... for now.

Great news for my friends in Austin. I think BCP underestimated the organziation of the moto community. Even AMA got involved, i've been getting emails from them the past few weeks with updates.

Yes- good info and thanks for attending!

The MTB community have the same rallying cry to elect those that see the BCP as a simple landgrab instead of serving the community.

Good NEWS!

The Austin TRIALS CLUB has rented the
EMMA LONG M/C PARK on DEC 10, 2016.
The club's laying out 5 sections & putting on their annual
CHRISTMAS BENEFIT CHARITY TRIALS EVENT.
All proceeds will go to the Texas Baptist Children’s Home.
TBCH WEBSITE HERE

Screenshot_2015_12_13_14_49_03.png

Rider's meeting @ 10am
Under the steel canopy in the parking lot area.
GPS: 30.344218, -97.826947
20160302_184049.jpg

CLICK HERE FOR FLYER

Come join in on the fun. Open to the public. Free to all spectators.
The main loop trails are closed for public motorcycle & bike riding on this day.
Only those participating in the TRIALS event can ride. All spectators can walk to any of the 5 sections to observe, take pictures, have a good ol' time.
20151212_113219.jpg

After the event, the club will furnish the meats, plates, plasticwares for a late lunch. Please bring a side dish, your own beverages, a chair, plan to hang out, goof around, chillax.

screenshot_Edits_190k.jpg

Very nice. I'm out of town otherwise I would attend.

That sounds really interesting. I'd love to walk the course and watch those guys defy gravity! I'll plan on attending (as spectator, of course). Austin folks: ping me if anyone wants to meet up there...

I'm hoping to head down, but it depends some on whether the wife wants to camp for this month's Meet and Eat. If she does then I'll be out at Granger Lake. Otherwise I'll be down there filling up SD cards on the camera.

Back