TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > Prayer Requests

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 11-19-2009, 11:38 PM   #221
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Re: Prayer for Zac Chapman - family needs help

Awesome!! We will continue to pray for further progress with coming out of the coma fully and for it to go smoothly, physically, emotionally and mentally.

Total Forum Supporter Donations For October: $323.43 - Previous Month: $685.11 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 128 Current Forum Supporters out of 20679 Users (0.62%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 05:28 PM   #222
Lil Squid

Friday 11/20/09

Got a call this morning from Baylor that Zac had an episode of apnea ( not breathing) again while he was awake and they had an MRI/CT scan done yesterday. The scan showed that there is a specific area of Zac's brain that has swelling. This swelling is causing pressure on his brain stem. The neurosurgeon believes this may be causing Zac's apnea. He wants to go into the area of the brain and insert a tube that will be connected to the tubing of Zac's shunt that is already in place. This should allow the fluid to drain into the shunt that is already working.
As you can imagine, there are risks with this surgery. I asked him if he felt this surgery was necessary and he said yes. There is a slight chance that this surgery could improve Zac's condition and there is a chance that it could make it worse. Dr. Carlile recommended this Dr. and I have faith in her. Like everything else that we have faced in this journey, I am giving this to the Lord. I have a good feeling about this Dr. after meeting him and listening to him, and Dr. Carlile recommends him. So far, the Lord has lead and directed us toward facilities and Dr's that seem to have been just what Zac needed at the given time. I am putting my faith in God that He is continuing to answer our prayers for guidance and direction in this time. The plan is to move Zac to "big Baylor" on Monday and then surgery will be on Tuesday.
I know sometimes I may put too much of my heart into the notes, but it is almost therapy for me at times. Today, getting to spend time with Zac and observe some of his therapy sessions, it was almost surreal to watch him answer "yes" "no" questions with eye movements. It was not consistent, he became tired at times and his eyes would start to close. BUT, there were those responses that were correct and appropriate and it was like , "Yes! Zac is definitely there!" He knew that he was in Baylor, in Dallas, that it was November, and that it was Friday. He could recognize himself in a picture, Julia and I in a picture, and his friend Derek in a picture. (Derek, it was the Seaworld trip we took and a picture of you and him resting in between races at TWS) I am concerned, as any parent would be, of their child having surgery. Some of the risks are scarey, and their outcomes are not good. My heart is burdened for my son, and so I am asking for special prayer for the upcoming surgery. All of you have been so faithful to pray for Zac and I know that you will be faithful once again. God Bless all of you!!
Lil Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 10:53 PM   #223
Lil Squid

Saturday 11/21/09

Zac established communication using eye movements for "yes" and "no". This is the one step forward. Zac had a period of apnea on Thursday with a CT scan to follow. There is swelling in an area of Zac's brain that is putting pressure on his brain stem; Zac needs surgery to correct this condition. Today Zac threw up and is having loose stools. The respiratory therapist stated that when Zac threw up, he was concerned with the appearance/color of it. He said it appeared the same color of his stool. I asked what color it was and he replied "dark". They tested Zacs emesis (vomit) and his stool (poop) and they both tested positive for blood. So, Zac is bleeding somewhere. Zac's oxygen saturation level dropped on room air, so they put the neck collar/humidifier over his trach with some oxygen as well. Zac's bloodwork also showed that his hemoglobin is low which shows that Zac is losing blood somewhere. There are the three steps backward.
I don't know what the plan is about this. A Dr. is being called on Zac's case and will come by in the morning. When i get to the hospital, I will find out what she said. I do not know if this new development will affect the plans for surgery. I know his blood loss was not significant enough by the time I left today that he required getting blood.
I do know that today was a hard day. Zac did not have the best day today, and neither did Jon Broom. Lori and I talked about what a rollercoaster ride this is and how you get on a "high" from something good happening, and then some set back occurs. This was a hard day for us mothers. Please continue in prayer for Zac and be sure and add Jon and his parents to your prayers tonight. Thanks in advance
Old 11-23-2009, 09:59 AM   #224
Lil Squid

Sunday 11/22/09

Went to visit Zac today with my sister and a mutual friend. It was easy to see that Zac wasn't his usual self; he did not keep his eyes open fully for the length of time that he usually does. Zac had thrown up again today, so his feedings remain on hold. He developed bleeding around his PICC site (type of I.V. that can stay in longer) so they tested his blood and found it was too thin, so his blood thinner was held today. The nurse had said that they had not had any diarrhea today, but as we were leaving they were no longer able to say that. Zac's weight when he arrived at BIR was 118.9, today he weighed 121.5. That is the first time he has been weighed and gained weight! I want to end with a positive, and thank God for Zac's weight gain. Tomorrow should bring action, maybe tests, and hopefully answers. Zac's source of bleeding has still not been determined, and neither has his inability to keep feedings( or water and banana flakes) through his G tube down. I will post as soon as I know more. Thank you all for your prayers for Zac!!
Old 11-24-2009, 02:27 PM   #225
Lil Squid

Tuesday 11/24/09

I have been told the surgery to relieve pressure on the brain stem will be tomorrow. This is a very delicate surgery that involves risks, and so I again ask for prayer for Zac as well as the surgeon. May God's will be done in this situation.
Old 11-24-2009, 03:41 PM   #226
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Any idea how soon they will know if the surgery has accomplished the intended goals? We will be praying that it goes well and does not introduce any new problems.

Total Forum Supporter Donations For October: $323.43 - Previous Month: $685.11 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 128 Current Forum Supporters out of 20679 Users (0.62%)

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Old 11-24-2009, 08:08 PM   #227
wdw

Prayer for the surgical staff, for Zac and for all of his loved ones.
wdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 08:37 AM   #228
Lil Squid

Tuesday 11/24/09

I think FB was having some issues yesterday. I did not get to post yesterday. This morning Zac had a test to check out why he was bleeding, but they did not find any active bleeding in his esophagus or stomach. They seem to think that Zac's vomiting caused irritation and because his blood was so thin, this caused bleeding.

Zac's surgery has been scheduled for 1:00 tomorrow at Baylor Hospital in Dallas. Thank you all for your well wishes and prayers. I do hope that all of you have a great Thanksgiving if I don't get a chance to post this later. May you all enjoy family and friends and remember to give thanks to THE ONE who deserves it!
Old 11-25-2009, 07:23 PM   #229
Lil Squid

Wednesday 11/25/09

Zac made it through his surgery. The Dr. was able to put a catheter into the area of the brain that was collecting fliud and connect it to the existing shunt that Zac already had. He is back in his ICU room recovering; he is on the ventilator for now because he is asleep from anesthesia.

We will not know if this will help Zac's cognition until more time passes, nor will we know if this will help with his breathing and vision problems until more time passes. All the surgeon would say is that we will be hopeful that this surgery will help Zac.
Old 11-28-2009, 03:47 PM   #230
Lil Squid

Friday 11/27/09

Well, Zac made it through his surgery that took place on Wednesday. The surgery lasted 2 1/2 hours and the surgeon was able to insert a catheter into the area of the brain (4th ventricle) where fluid was building up and then connect into the existing shunt that was already in place. CT scans showed that the placement of the catheter was good and that excess fliud had already been drained from this area. Zac has had no periods of apnea since the surgery, so hopefully this has been resolved. Zac has not really been keeping his eyes open very much since the surgery, so no communication on Zac's part has occured. When I was with him yesterday and today, I could tell that he made eye contact with me and felt that he heard what I was saying to him. However, his level of responsiveness is not as good. When I saw him at BIR, his face was flushed and his head, neck, shoulders down to his elbows were warm. From his elbows down to his hands, he was cold. His temperature was 100.2. The nurse took it a little later and it was 99.6. Later, his temp was 100.4. I called to check on him(just now) and the nurse said that she gave him some Tylenol, but has not taken his temp. since giving the Tylenol. I know that Zac has had many infections along the way, but would not want to see something so soon after surgery. I am not completely happy with the decision to discharge him back to BIR so soon after major surgery, but am happy that he is in the area where he is closely monitored. I know God's hand is on Zac and that He is in complete control of this situation. I must continue to put my faith and trust in Him!
Old 11-28-2009, 05:34 PM   #231
Faylaricia

I am glad to hear the surgery went well and wish Zac continuous improvement. I can imagine that it is hard over the holidays now for you all. You are in our thoughts!

Horses aren't my whole life, they make my life whole. --- L. Stewart
Equimotus, costus, muchus
Faylaricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 08:34 AM   #232
Lil Squid

Sunday 11/29/09

Found out today that Zac had 2 periods of apnea yesterday and 1 period of apnea today before we left BIR. They have him hooked up to a monitor that attaches to his ear that can detect when he stops breathing and also if his oxygen saturation level drops below a certain level. It still may be too soon to say whether or not the surgery helped with this issue; there is still swelling in the area from the surgery. Zac is still having difficulties tolerating his tube feedings. He is not digesting the feedings well, and has been having significant "residuals" in his stomach. His weight today was back down to 118.2#
A positive thing that is going on with Zac is that he was swallowing today and had less secretions.
It is still baffling to me that Zac is warm (and flushed) about his face, and down to his elbows. From his elbows down to his hands he is cold. He has goosebumps on his forearms, and so we placed a towel over his forearms and hands to warm them up. He used to be warm all the way down to his hands, with the pillowcases usually being damp with perspiration from the back of his arms. Everything about a brain injury is baffling and seems to change almost daily. If it weren't for the Lord giving me strength to get through this day by day, I would be a complete wreck. Thank all of you for your love, support, and prayers for Zac. Tomorrow he should start up with all of his therapies again. We need him to stay strong, stay infection free, and show progress so that he can stay at BIR. Please pray that the apnea will have been taken care of through surgery, and that Zac will start tolerating his feedings so that he can gain weight again and get the nutrition that his body needs.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:58 AM   #233
Lil Squid

Tuesday 12-1-09

Dr. Carlile called me today to discuss Zac's latest CT scan of his head. It looks like the shunt is working correctly. There was a small area where the surgery occured that showed blood and air present, but the amounts have decreased since the surgery. She said that when Zac is standing on the tilt table that his heart rate increases. There is a possibility that Zac's shunt (which is now programmable) may be "draining" too much fluid when he is standing, so the neurosurgeon has been contacted to check this out. She said that Zac still has difficulty looking to the left.
There was discussion with the GI Dr. that if Zac did not start tolerating his feedings that they would change the location of his feeding tube past the stomach area. She stated that Zac was digesting his feedings better, so they will wait and watch. She and the dietician are working hard to help Zac gain weight. She also said that Zac had no apnea during the night last night, but that he did while he was up today. She was able to stimulate Zac and get him to take a breath. They are still keeping the monitor on him which detects when he stops breathing and if his oxygen level drops too low.
He has not shown much consistency with answering questions with eye movements since before the surgery.
I pray in earnest for Zac. He has been through so much and I beg God to be merciful to him. Zac is deserving of a miracle in his life; I know he would be a good and faithful servant. May God answer my prayers...
Old 12-02-2009, 02:20 PM   #234
NitroRoo

Good news that the shunt is working. You have many praying with you, just trust God and have faith that He knows best. I pray that He would give you peace about everything. I know it's been a long struggle and can't imagine how hard it would be for a parent.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:40 PM   #235
zacsmom

This is Jenny, Zac's mom. I just wanted to thank all of you for your prayers for Zac and the family. Thank Yuliya for copying and pasting my facebook entries here on this site. All of you have been a blessing to me and an inspiration when times get tough. It is a comfort to know that so many are praying for my son...thank you all
zacsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 12:20 AM   #236
Lil Squid

Thursday 12/3/09

I was able to go to BIR today and be present for his care conference today. The Dr's and therapists are pleased with Zac's increased level of alertness since earlier in the week. He is now on a 3rd neuro stimulator which seems to be helping with his alertness. Zac has been having issues with increased heart rate and blood pressure since his surgery. They are giving him medication to lower his blood pressure and they are monitoring his heart rate. Since his surgery, they have not put him back on a blood thinner and they will be doing a test on Sunday to check for blood clots in his arms and legs. Depending on what this shows, they may leave off the blood thinner since Zac already has the filters above and below his heart. The neurosurgeon came and reprogrammed his shunt valve so that it is not pulling off so much fluid from the brain. It took about 2 min. and is reprogrammed by the use of a magnet. Zac will be watched to see if there are any changes in his alertness. If there are negative changes, the setting will be returned to what it was originally set at. Everything is being done to see that Zac reaches the maximum potential for improvement. We were told today that it does not appear that Zac will progress to the point where his trach can be removed while at BIR. Unless some improvement occurs with his swallowing and management of his secretions, the trach will stay in. This means that our choices for places after discharge from BIR gets narrowed. It would be so wonderful if God allowed Zac to get rid of the trach! There are more places that would take him after he leaves BIR if he did not have a trach. I'm asking God to work in this area for us.
Zac has still not shown any voluntary movement in his arms or legs. Zac was not able to answer any questions for me today. (with me being 100% sure of his eye movements for responses) He made great eye contact with me, and I did feel that he would have made vocalization if his trach were capped off.
Zac is in a wonderful facility that is taking great care of him. I know they are doing everything in their power to help Zac reach his highest level of recovery. I still pray relentlessly to The higher power that I know is in control of this entire situation. I do pray with tears for my son, asking God to take any blessings that may have been for me, and give them to Zac.
Old 12-06-2009, 05:32 PM   #237
Lil Squid

Saturday 12/5/09

Zac's weight is down from 118 to 115. They seem to have it figured out that if he has high residuals (contents in his stomach)then they hold his feedings for a while. This has prevented episodes of vomiting for a while now; maybe Zac will gain some weight back. They removed the PICC line in his left arm because they felt he did not need it anymore and see it as a door for infection. He is getting a medication through I.V. to help with digestion, so they stuck him in his right hand for the I.V. site. I found out that Zac had to have 2 units of blood after his surgery because he was so anemic. The medicine is working to lower his blood pressure and heart rate. When he was put on the tilt table on Friday, his vital signs were in the normal range.
Immediate prayer requests are for Zac to gain weight and for him to start swallowing consistently and manage his secretions so that his trach can come out. Oh how I pray for him to start swallowing. The respiratory therapist was telling me how many muscles it took for a person to swallow. It was a very large amount; I had never thought of it seeing how we all do this every day without having to think about it. Certain tongue movements must occur which Zac does not have much of at this time. I also pray that God would allow Zac to be able to communicate with us again. He has not been able to do this with eye movements since his surgery. Wouldn't it be great if God would allow him to swallow and speak?! This is my earnest petition on Zac's behalf
Old 12-07-2009, 09:36 AM   #238
Lil Squid

Sunday 12/6/09

The posse and i went to go see Zac today at BIR. He was fighting more congestion/secretions today. The respiratory therapist said that they will probably do a chest x-ray tomorrow to make sure another infection is not starting. His left eye has been red since Thursday afternoon, and it is not getting any better; now today his right eye was starting to look red also
Old 12-07-2009, 02:05 PM   #239
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Every night when I put the kids to bed, I ask them who they want to pray for and then we combine everyone and pray together. They never fail to mention Zac and his family. (Sarah is 5 and Daniel 3). I try to remember to let them know about specific issues he is dealing with. Even at their young age, their insights into faith and prayer can sometimes take me by surprise. I learn a lot from them. I'll be sure to update them on Zac's condition and continuing needs.

Quote:

Old 12-09-2009, 01:01 PM   #240
Lil Squid

Tuesday 12/8/09

Called and spoke with the nurse to get an update on Zac today. Zac has been given antibiotic drops for his red left eye and the nurse stated in her opinion his eye looked better. Zac's test to check for blood clots came back with no evidence of blood clots in his arms or legs. There was not a chest xray done, so maybe Zac's congestion/secretions have improved. Zac's heart rate continues to be high, so they are going to put a halter monitor on him for 24 hours. The nurse stated that Zac has not been able to answer any questions with eye movements, but watches the T.V. with eyes wide open.
Some days my heart is so burdened that I don't know the right words to pray, but I know that God knows my heart, He knows how much I love my son and only want the best for him.