• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

On a side note,

Yeah, uh...NO!

Exactly....Rob would have locked the rear wheel to square up to the bridge and then wheelied to set the front tire where he wanted it.

Ya know.....like the cool guys can do. :)

I think it was the speed that got you Jarrett. I've rarely seen anyone with the stones to take a KLR above 35 mph where it's known to suffer high speed wobble. I think this was first discovered in Bonneville when it was used as a pit bike by Rollie Free (1948?) If you'd had a milk crate on the back as Maximus suggested earlier, aerodynamics likely wouldn't have let you go that fast without the 685 kit. (all in good fun my friend) Seriously, glad you're okay.

You just made me spit out my coffee. :)

That's some funny stuff right there...

I'm nowhere near as good a rider as most folks posting on this and I'm sure experience played a part, BUT just like a slick low water crossing, when it goes it happens fast. Standing, sitting, riding backwards. Slick crossings can get you. Even Tourmeister messes up once in a while. lol. Just not as often as the rest of us. Not sure there's a "great" tire for slime or wet wooden bridges. Being setup before hand and steady throttle is best to me. Sounded like this one caught him off guard.

Okay, covered my laptop in Folgers reading that one.

On a side note, my first trip on the Challenge took me across the James river, then on to a series of smaller low water crossings. I was so proud of making it across the James river that I let confidence get the better of me and ended up eating concrete on one of those slimy low water crossings. I'll cross upstream before I do one to of those Mason County hockey rinks again.

I've wondered if the creek beds would be a better choice.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

I've wondered if the creek beds would be a better choice.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Yep. Some of those moss covered concrete crossings are so slick you can't walk across them, much less ride.

But... in the creek bed, it's hard to see the obstacle sometimes.

As to which is the lesser evil.... I think on a big bike, it's probably better to take your licks on the concrete....but on a little bike..... I think you gas it and go on the creek bed and just try to power out of the spots with big rocks or holes.

Either way....the important thing is to try to keep water out of the air box if you drop it.

Even Tourmeister messes up once in a while. lol. Just not as often as the rest of us.

:tab I subscribe to the tree falling in the forest philosophy... If there is no one there to see me fall, laugh, and take a picture, did it really happen? :-P Rob doesn't think I fall down because he just hasn't ridden with me very much ;-) Talk to Rsquared if you want the real scoop. He's been witness to some "creative riding" over the years :flip: But like you said, the gear makes a world of difference!! I cannot stress that enough!

Yep. Some of those moss covered concrete crossings are so slick you can't walk across them, much less ride.

:tab I squared up for a crossing like this on Cow Creek Road in the NW Austin area while riding my 1200 GS... it did NO good. The front instantly went all weebly wobbly on me and in the space of maybe one heart beat I was down pretty hard :huh2: The bike was mostly fine, but my left elbow looked like I had a cue ball under the skin :shock: I was up in Arkansas last May and literally stopped before entering the water, which was maybe 2" deep and moving fast. My son was on the back of my GS. The front wheel got maybe two feet out into the water and it washed right out from under us. Down we went, freezing cold water rushing in through the collar of my jacket and exiting my pants at the heel. We were both fine, as was the bike, but picking it up and walking it to the other side was a MAJOR challenge! Just standing there, the force of the water was pushing us toward the downstream edge, which had a drop of about 8-10"... We eventually made it across, but it was work! We approached another crossing a few miles later, stopped, and walked the bike across. It was just as slick and just as hard to do. It is surprising how even an inch or two of fast moving water can take the bike right out from under you! I had TKCs front and rear for all of those crossings. The only thing that might have helped would have been studded tires :-P

You notice I cut that part out when I quoted him above.

I wasn't kidding, I ride my dirty bike half way decent, I'm still very much learning these big bikes offroad. They have my utmost attention and respect. Not real comfortable in a lot of situations with it.

That said 2wheelnut summed up what my attempt would have been in scrubbing speed and getting as squared up as I could.

It's infectious. It's had been for me at least. Call me crazy but I get depressed when I don't ride it for a while. Lol

Before I bought my current KLRer, my wife told me I had become boring since my last KLR had been sold. I'm not allowed to be without one if I want a happy life. [emoji6][emoji6]

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Before I bought my current KLRer, my wife told me I had become boring since my last KLR had been sold. I'm not allowed to be without one if I want a happy life. [emoji6][emoji6]

:tab :lol2:

Occasionally, my wife will ask me if I need to go for a ride... That is her subtle way of telling me that I am getting stressed out and annoying :-P Sometimes she will TELL me I need to go for a ride :oops:

Ditto on the wife telling me I need to go for a ride. Maybe I need to start moping around and being annoying more often....

Mike P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A little fear is healthy... It keeps you from taking things for granted ;-)

I used to blaze through concrete low-water crossings. One moss covered one slapped me down and taught me a lesson. Still cross them but with a little more respect now.

I guess Jarrett paid close attention to our conversation on the Hotel steps in Glenwood and made the correct decision.:nana:

Caught on film... MacDaddy on a KLR

42983392_2179970795662490_5356174249356689408_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Not that there's anything wrong with that. :rofl: It wasn't me...but if it was Rich, I would have been ducking down too, thinking Rich is going to give a ton of grief for this. Not that it happened of course.

Sorry to hear it. Hopefully you get a fair price on a great bike

Say it ain't so. I thought we had a lifer there. Best of luck on your sale. Sure wish I could help ya out with that problem.

Are you selling the AT as well?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Wow! You are giving Kurt a run for his money on bike turnover :lol2:

You are at least sticking with the AT right?

I think I've come to realize I'm not much of a dual sport guy, at least at this point in the hobby.

Plus, after owning two automatic motorcycles, working a clutch lever gets old pretty quick.

So as soon as title comes in on the KLR, its going up for sale, unless I see an interesting trade out there.
Don't feel bad. Shortest I owned a bike was 17 miles. Sometimes you know.

Or think you do......I re-bought same model bike

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Back