• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Titling and registering a moto with out of state salvage title?

k9dr

Reaction score
All,

I have a 2002 FZ1 with a tweaked frame. I bought a frame out of CA with a salvage title from another state, off of eBay. Of course, I pulled the trigger on this before I had thought of the VIN/title/registration implications or done my homework. After reading a bit on internet I now realize that when I swap all my stuff an departs and engine from my bike to the new frame I am essentially resurrecting an existing motorcycle rather than just changing a part on my bike. Oh, wow.

A friend of mine said this can get really, really sticky in TX, because a frame/bike with a salvage title is considered not roadworthy by definition. But when I read up on titling a vehicle with salvage title on TXDoT it seems there is a definite process and no obvious obstacle. Of course I just wind up paying plenty of taxes.

Can anybody shed any light on this process? Do's and Don'ts before I get started? Traps I can fall into?

Thanks,

k9dr

All,

I have a 2002 FZ1 with a tweaked frame. I bought a frame out of CA with a salvage title from another state, off of eBay. Of course, I pulled the trigger on this before I had thought of the VIN/title/registration implications or done my homework. After reading a bit on internet I now realize that when I swap all my stuff an departs and engine from my bike to the new frame I am essentially resurrecting an existing motorcycle rather than just changing a part on my bike. Oh, wow.

A friend of mine said this can get really, really sticky in TX, because a frame/bike with a salvage title is considered not roadworthy by definition. But when I read up on titling a vehicle with salvage title on TXDoT it seems there is a definite process and no obvious obstacle. Of course I just wind up paying plenty of taxes.

Can anybody shed any light on this process? Do's and Don'ts before I get started? Traps I can fall into?

Thanks,

k9dr

BTW Im the friend and have NO personal knowledge of getting this done, just what I was told by my insurance company reference my now "Listed as salvage" VTR1000F would not registrable here in TX so I was agreeing to buy it back as parts only.

Very interested as well if someone has personally done a salvage title bike to road registered here in Texas, even better if it was done in the last few years.

Thanks

Erik

In Texas we have two different types of salvage titles. No longer on road/ for parts only and rebuildable salvage title where you fix it and get it inspected to verify it is safe and they then issue you a rebuilt title.

First, I have NO knowledge in this area but do in the area of "Assembled" bikes, as in making a chopper on a homemade frame, which is no problemo. I cannot envision why it should be harder to title a non-chopper if, say, the old title, Salvage or otherwise, had somehow disappeared along the way and all one had was a Bill of Sale for the frame. Send me a PM if you're interested in discussing how this might be do-able, easily.

That possibility aside, if it were me I'd diddy-bop down to the courthouse and ask the ladies there. They ARE the Keepers of The Keys, after all.

In Texas we have two different types of salvage titles. No longer on road/ for parts only and rebuildable salvage title where you fix it and get it inspected to verify it is safe and they then issue you a rebuilt title.

OK so I may have been told correctly...

I've researched Texas titles some and have been unable to find any reference to two SALVAGE titles.
I did find Salvage and Junk

Salvage
A vehicle with any of the NMVTIS brands listed below is considered a salvage vehicle in Texas. In order for this vehicle to be operated on a road again, it must first be rebuilt and inspected. Otherwise, the vehicle is only eligible for a salvage title, nonrepairable title, or for authority to dispose of the vehicle.
* I only listed the NMVTIS Brands that are likely common to those of us dealing with a insurance totaled bike*
NMVTIS Brand Description

Owner Retained Vehicle was declared by the insurance company to be a total loss but the owner maintains possession and ownership of the vehicle.

AND

JUNK
A junk vehicle is not safe to operate on U.S. roads and highways. It should never be titled or registered. The vehicle should only be sold as parts or scraps.

Junk Title Brands

NMVTIS Brand Description

Totaled A vehicle that is declared a total loss by a jurisdiction or an insurer that is obligated to cover the loss or that the insurer takes possession of the title to that vehicle. The reporting jurisdiction, or an insurance company, has determined this vehicle is a total loss and is incapable of safe operation for use on U.S. roads or highways. This vehicle cannot be registered or titled, and its only value is as a source of parts or scrap.

As mentioned above, there are other nationally used title "brands" so the important thing I thing is to check the title you have ans see what NMVTIS Brand is on your title.
http://www.txdmv.gov/motorists/buyi...e-check-look-before-you-buy/junk-title-brands

Then we have my situation.... I have the title as I owned the vehicle outright.. the insurance company totaled the bike... No new title has been issued. When i titled and registered the New bike... nothing was asked or said about the old one. Im guessing there is something in a computer database that would cause the ladies at the tax office to put a "different" NMVTIS Brand on the title than currently there. Next time Im in Lampasas I'll ask.

Last edited:
About 6 years ago I rebuilt a bike with a Georgia "salvage" title, and registered it here in Texas. As already mentioned, I had to take it to my local State Inspection garage, they verified the VIN and that the bike passed Texas safety requirement. They issued what they referred to as a "green form" . I took that and the Georgia title to the courthouse, paid sales taxes and registration fees, and in about 3 weeks I got a clear Texas title that stated "Rebuilt" in the upper right hand part of the vehicle description. The only problems are Progressive insurance would not write full coverage (only liability) for a rebuilt bike, and the word "REBUILT" on the title automatically reduced the resale price at less $1000.

Good Luck, Bud...

About 6 years ago I rebuilt a bike with a Georgia "salvage" title, and *snip*

Good Luck, Bud...

That sounds exactly like what my understanding is. With an "Assembled" bike, OTOH, inspection and assignment of a VIN by a DPS Inspector goes in there, too.

I'll bet "The Lady" at the Courthouse in Nac still has the file on one I was putting together in the drawer, left side of her window, from 1999. They lost the MSO for the Santee frame between Nac and Austin and it turned into a mess (not much, DPS inspection, and he said, "It's already got a VIN." :shrug:) But I never finished it, took it apart and sold the rolling chassis some years later and that's on the road around here somewhere. And the engine (78 FXE, stock bore) is sitting in a homemade gooseneck hardtail frame, tranny's on the dining room floor, new gears in the East Bike Parts & Camping Gear Warehouse (AKA front bedroom), and . . . . . :lol2:

She still had the file, right there by her left hand, abt 10yrs later and asked me about "the bike" when I was registering something else.

Last edited:
Back