• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!
  • The Vendor forum is for users that wish to offer their services or products to the TWT Community. Creation of a new thread is limited to users that are members of the TWT Vendor usergroup. Contact Tourmeister to join this usergroup. Vendors may create ONE thread to promote their business. They will still be able to edit and reply to their thread, and reply to anyone else's, but they are limited to one thread. Regular users can reply to any existing thread. Vendors should strive to keep all of their business related posting in this thread.

Custom Made Heated Gear

Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Last Name
Phenix
I have been making and wearing my heated gear eight years. I haven't had much luck getting other riders to DIY this stuff so I decided to begin producing selected heated items. I can add carbon fiber warmth to virtually any glove via a thin integrated liner that stays in place without disturbing the glove or its warranty. I can do a pair of gloves for $80.
20151218_213150-L.jpg

I'll do this during the warmer months too when you don't need your winter gloves - so you'll be ready for next winter. Considering the quality of the heated gloves on the market - a better insulated winter glove makes a far better heated glove.

Here's my beloved ReV'it! Alaska gloves now with heat:
20160107_074128-L.jpg

I've often wondered why nobody makes a Gore Tex heated motorcycle glove. Fixed that. :trust:
20160107_074212%20a-L.jpg

Here's a pair of Gore Tex Klim Togwotee gloves I did recently. They came with removable fleece liners that worked perfectly.
20160124_202953-L.jpg

I have been searching for the best winter glove value and The Olympia Weather King #4102 might be it. It's all leather, well insulated, has Gore Tex and is quite comfortable. Olympia claims the Weather King is the warmest glove they've ever made.

20160202_194749-L.jpg

< < AND THIS PAIR HAS H E A T ! ! > > :clap:

The stated is size XL but with the integrated liner it would pass for a Large. I am also impressed with the finger and thumb length. My only beef is the textile palm slider is a little cheesy. This is a whole lot of heated glove for $200 shipped and if you're not absolutely thrilled I'll gladly take them back. Just cover return shipping.

http://shop.olympiagloves.com/products/olympia-4102-weatherking-extra-touch

FIRST MESSAGE GETS THIS PAIR!
Paypal $200 to: kphenix600@gmail.com

If you're in the Houston or College Station areas I'll knock ten bucks off for shipping and deliver them and call it an excuse to take a bike trip. :mrgreen:

https://www.facebook.com/Phenix-Flaming-Hot-Heated-Motorcycle-Gear-571738242984574/

Last edited:
Im outside CS & would love to learn how to do heated diy !
Sure. Here's one of my DIY threads. http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90528
I used 26ga nichrome for years but it was just too brittle. I recently switched to carbon fiber braid which is sooooo much more dependable. It's easier to work with too. Just tell me what you'd like to make and I'll walk you through it.

Nice,
Thanks. Let me read up on it for a bit. I'm assuming battery power ? Or wired to bike DC.

Can you send me a link on supplier for the controller, carbon fabric & how your powering the gear ?
Have you tried duplicolor vinyl & fabric coating to hold wires in place before covering?

Sure. Here's one of my DIY threads. http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90528
I used 26ga nichrome for years but it was just too brittle. I recently switched to carbon fiber braid which is sooooo much more dependable. It's easier to work with too. Just tell me what you'd like to make and I'll walk you through it.

Im thinking of gloves & mid section of a jacket. If I can get somewhat proficient at it I'll try the knees is a pr. of riding pants.
I sew deerskin & sheepsking gun socks & gear bags. I could use this skill.

Im thinking of gloves & mid section of a jacket. If I can get somewhat proficient at it I'll try the knees is a pr. of riding pants.
I sew deerskin & sheepsking gun socks & gear bags. I could use this skill.
Sounds like you and I should get together and compare notes. I'll give you a shout next time I ride to Bryan. I'm always looking for more efficient ways to insulate and attach the carbon fiber. As you're probably already aware resistance specs on the carbon fiber are hard to come by - there's trial and error involved.

Sounds like you and I should get together and compare notes. I'll give you a shout next time I ride to Bryan. I'm always looking for more efficient ways to insulate and attach the carbon fiber. As you're probably already aware resistance specs on the carbon fiber are hard to come by - there's trial and error involved.
So try this:
take a known length of the carbon fiber you use and connect an ammeter in SERIES with it. then connect it to the power source and note the amount of current flowing. Use the formula
resistance=voltage/amps
so, if 12 volts causes 2 amps to flow, then resistance=6 ohms
remember, the formula uses WHOLE numbers, if less than 1 amp flows the value changes.
Hope this helps

Sounds good. I'll send you my number. Would like to see some heated gear. I have some rider friends in Illinois who wear it regularly & they love it.

:tab Heated gear is one of those things that it is easy to think you will never need and it is a silly luxury... until you try it! Once you try it, you will be amazed at how much more fun it is to ride when it is cold outside. If your hands are warm, it makes the whole riding experience so much more enjoyable, but also safer!! If you've ever ridden in really cold weather, you know how stiff the hands can get if you are not constantly moving the fingers and operating the clutch and brake lever. If you don't have heated grips, heated gloves are great! Heck, they're great even with the heated grips because the back of the hands can still get pretty cold with just the grips. As for the rest of the body, I find that simply wearing a heated vest (with heated collar) makes a huge difference in how my hands and feet feel. With the core warm, the body will let the blood flow to the extremities and you can really tell the difference. There have been a few times over the years where I thought having heated sleeves would be nice, but I was never uncomfortable during those times with just the vest.

Ken, do you do jacket liners?

Yes Bob, I have done a few using the Freeze Out brand "gilet" from Cycle Gear. Its quality is surprising and the coated fleece is crazy warm. I wear the Freeze Out bottoms too. I can do heat in torso, arms and even collar plus power supply to gloves but it's pretty time consuming. I think the heated base layer format is superior but I can't at this point do it cheaper than what's on the market. I can do torso only pretty cheap. I can also add heat directly to your touring jacket's thermal liner. Just let me know what you have in mind. Is there A Cycle Gear close enough to you to go try one on?

https://kphenix.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Homemade-Heated-Glove-Jacket/i-7R5fwTz

Would ya do heated boots if I supply them? :duck:
I can do insoles. If you get some insoles (not the gel type) and trim them to fit your boots and send them to me and I can add heat across the top of the toes.

This pair is older with nichrome and SAE plugs but they have worked well for 8 years. New ones would be carbon fiber with standard coaxial plugs.
P1010173-L.jpg

P1010176-L.jpg

Last edited:
:tab Heated gear is one of those things that it is easy to think you will never need and it is a silly luxury... until you try it! Once you try it, you will be amazed at how much more fun it is to ride when it is cold outside. If your hands are warm, it makes the whole riding experience so much more enjoyable, but also safer!! If you've ever ridden in really cold weather, you know how stiff the hands can get if you are not constantly moving the fingers and operating the clutch and brake lever. If you don't have heated grips, heated gloves are great! Heck, they're great even with the heated grips because the back of the hands can still get pretty cold with just the grips. As for the rest of the body, I find that simply wearing a heated vest (with heated collar) makes a huge difference in how my hands and feet feel. With the core warm, the body will let the blood flow to the extremities and you can really tell the difference. There have been a few times over the years where I thought having heated sleeves would be nice, but I was never uncomfortable during those times with just the vest.
Quite right Scott. I originally started building this stuff because I couldn't justify spending the money on heated gear that I would almost never use. Now I'd much rather ride in the 20's than the 90's - and I don't get cold.
P1010297-L.jpg

image-L.jpg

And you're absolutely right that when the core gets cold the body actually restricts blood flow to the extremities thus exacerbating the problem of cold hands and feet. I have never needed heat on my legs and my current liner doesn't have heated arms. I turn on the gloves in the 40's, the jacket liner in the thirties and I don the insoles below freezing or if I'm maintaining highway speed for an extended period. Wind chill is exponential: the lower the temp, the higher the speed, the longer the duration, the greater the the effect. :rider:

I have been searching for the best winter glove value and The Olympia Weather King #4102 might be it. It's all leather, well insulated, has Gore Tex and is quite comfortable. Olympia claims the Weather King is the warmest glove they've ever made.

20160202_194749-L.jpg

< < AND THIS PAIR HAS H E A T ! ! > > :clap:

The stated is size XL but with the integrated liner it would pass for a Large. I am also impressed with the finger and thumb length. My only beef is the textile palm slider is a little cheesy. This is a whole lot of heated glove for $180 shipped and if you're not absolutely thrilled I'll gladly take them back. I'll even cover return shipping.

http://shop.olympiagloves.com/products/olympia-4102-weatherking-extra-touch

FIRST MESSAGE GETS THIS PAIR!
Paypal $180 to: kphenix600@gmail.com

If you're in the Houston or College Station areas I'll knock ten bucks off for shipping and deliver them and call it an excuse to take a bike trip. :mrgreen:

The Olympia's went up on ebay. Happy bidding!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/222019036792?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649
Or feel free to make me an offer. I know it's getting late in the season and I really want to get these out there for review. Remember, none of the major heated glove makers offers a Gore Tex motorcycle glove. And if you don't think thses gloves are warmer and more comfortable than what you've got I'll take them back no questions asked.

I am happy to share my experience. I’ve given open source online DIY instruction and also produced custom turn-key heated gear for sale. I believe what some riders are looking for is something in between. So I’ve done the resistance calculation, sourced the materials, made the electrical connections and provided the standard 2.5mm jacks to interface with most heated gear on the market today. All you have to do is sew these completed carbon fiber loops into your gloves and plug them in. The kit sells for $50 which includes postage to the continental US and all the tech support you could stand. I'll even talk you through the installation process over the phone. :trust:
Here's a link to the online instructions so you'll have a better idea what you'll be getting into.
https://kphenix.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/DIY-HEATED-GLOVE-KIT/

20160926_215044-XL.jpg

20160926_215122-1-XL.jpg

Last edited:
(SOLD) REVIT ALASKA GLOVES WITH HEAT!

Back in 2012 while on an east coast ride I visited Revzilla in Philly and tried on every winter glove in the store. And I bought the ReV'it! Alaska. I bought them a size up to accommodate my heated liners. The Alaska was and is an awesome glove, total goatskin, knuckle protection, poly palm slider, highly insulated and genuine Gore Tex. The Alaska has been discontinued BUT I just scored what might be the last new pair in captivity.

I'm installing my carbon fiber heat in them and they will go to the first taker. The price will be $175 plus $10 shipping. That's a ton of glove for south of two bills. The Alaska retailed for $189 without heat!
They will fit like a size Large. The ones I wear are the same size. I measure 9 1/4" around the palm just behind the knuckles and my index finger measures 2 7/8" and they fit me perfectly.

Here's the old Revzilla video on the Alaska.
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQTMLU-TwuQ"]REV'IT! Alaska GTX Gloves Review at RevZilla.com - YouTube[/ame]

They arrived yesterday and they still have that new leather smell. This much heated glove doesn't exist on the market at any price. If you're not totally thrilled with these gloves for any reason I'll gladly take them back and give you a refund - just cover return postage. :trust:
20160930_160919-1-XL.jpg

20160930_160938-1-XL.jpg

20160930_161012-XL.jpg

Last edited:
REVIT ALASKA GLOVES WITH HEAT SOLD!

The Alaska's are sold.

Just remember I can add heat to virtually any winter glove for $100. :trust:

* * S O L D ! * * Alpinestars Gore Tex Heated Gloves $140

Here's my latest ebay find. These are new (discontinued) Alpinestars Gore Tex leather/textile winter touring gloves. They're supple, comfortable and roomy. They will fit on the high side of Large, maybe even XL. They have good finger length too. I just finished adding my carbon fiber heat to them and they're ready to ship. First come first serve. :trust:
20161102_120841-1-XL.jpg

20161102_120940-XL.jpg

Of course if you don't find these gloves warmer than Gyde/Gerbing or if you're not absolutely thrilled with the fit or anything else, I'll take them back and refund your money. Just cover return shipping.

[EDIT] Remember, I can add heat to virtually any pair of gloves for $100. [/EDIT] :trust:

Last edited:
Here's my latest offering:
20161128_114557-1-L.jpg

Lightly used Cabela's winter motorcycle gloves.
All leather, full draw string gauntlet
100 gram Thinsulate
Genuine Gore Tex
Phenix integrated carbon fiber heat
Size Large
$140
:trust:

OLYMPIA WEATHERKING - WITH HEAT! $200

My criteria for a great heated glove includes leather construction, ample insulation and genuine Gore Tex waterproof layer. But that doesn't exist in the current market - except here.
The Olympia Weatherking is one of the best values out there. I have added my carbon fiber heat to several sets and the reviews are glowing, pardon the pun. The last batch I ordered sold as soon as it hit the ground. I'm about to place another order so let me know if you're interested. And if you happen to run across another all leather, Primaloft, Gore Tex carbon fiber heated glove at any price - but especially for two bills, let me know that too. :trust:

20161202_204546-1-XL.jpg

20160202_194749-XL.jpg

GLOVE DEAL ALERT!!

The Held Freezer II is on closeout at Revzilla for $149. The Held Arctic is still available in larger sizes for $129. Watch the videos. This is a ton of glove for short money. These will be gone in less than a week. Remember to order one size up from what you normally wear and have them shipped to me for heat treatment.
:trust:

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/held-freezer-ii-gloves
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/held-arctic-gloves#overview_tab

https://www.facebook.com/Phenix-Flaming-Hot-Heated-Motorcycle-Gear-571738242984574/

Last edited:
Dainese Extreme Foul Weather Gloves

I have been a fan of the Dainese Jerico since its introduction. I just stumbled onto a similar version of this extreme foul weather glove on ebay across the pond. Its primary construction is of an abrasion resistant textile Dainese calls Stone PU. Carbon knuckle and leather palm round the exterior. There's Primaloft insulation too but what's unique is the Gore Tex gaiter under the gauntlet. Any water that runs down the sleeves into the gauntlets is routed out two eyelets on the underside. EXTREME! But don't get too excited - these are MINE! :trust: Just remember I can add heat to virtually any winter glove.
20161231_225423-1-XL.jpg

20161231_225508-1-XL.jpg

Revzilla has the Jerico evo size 2XL on closeout for $164.95 ! ! DEAL ! If you're XL send these to me for heat treatment.
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dainese-jerico-evo-gore-tex-gloves#overview_tab

Last edited:
Back