• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Howdy from Frankfort MI

Reaction score
First Name
John
Like many of you have had many bikes dirt and street bikes. Currently I have a '06 DL650 and '13 xcf-w 350 plated. I am considering relocating to Hill Country (retired...YEAH) and will be there 2/21 to 3/31 exploring area staying in Cedar Prk 1 week and Kerrville. I will have my KTM with me. I'm running 14/48 and DS tires with 3 gal tank. I have been to area twice before ('16 and '02). All research seems that Texas and Kerrville:sun: is the place to be regarding a nice town, year round riding opportunities, having a WALMART and medical facilities if not Fred or Boerne. Suggestions welcome!
I see a ride scheduled in Feb in area and will be watching for activity in March. Would like to make a ride and meet some other riders. I ride with the Great Lake Dual Sporters in MI and rode with theMSTA in the '00's. THANKS!

Last edited:
Welcome to the site! :wave:

There isn't much actual off-road riding around Kerrville unless you know someone with property. There are some fun dirt roads though. Other than going to private parks, Texas doesn't have a lot of off-road (think single track) available. The Sam Houston National Forest has trails you can ride if you get the sticker and pay the fees. The VStrom can handle just about anything you might ride out there, paved or not. The 350 would be more fun out at Big Bend NP and Big Bend Ranch & SP. The Cloudcroft, NM., area has some great dirt riding and single track. It would be close enough for you to make a four day weekend out of it and get in a lot of fun riding.

No hard core single track this trip (I am allready on road in travel trailer) cause of tires and gear I brought. Gravel and pavement is what I am set to ride. I have MT43 rear and Kenda DS tire front.
What tires are popular for DSing there?
In MI its all sand so Michelin S12 is the tire of choice or for DOT Kenda trackmaster.

What tires are popular for DSing there?
In MI its all sand so Michelin S12 is the tire of choice or for DOT Kenda trackmaster.

:tab The bulk of the Hill Country will be rock/gravel and snot slick algae covered water crossings... Most any big block dual sport tire will do. You might encounter patches of sand here and there, but they usually aren't that bad. If you are used to riding in sand, it will be a non issue. You don't tend to see much serious sand unless you get further out toward Big Bend or come East into the Piney Woods. Then you can get some deep silt/sand for miles. For that kind of riding, I prefer a full on knobby over any of the big block adventure tires.

:tab For my KTM 530, I like the Pirelli MT 21s because they work well in dirt, sand, and gravel, but also work well on pavement. The same is true for the Dunlop 606s, which are very popular. On my 1200 GS I like the TKC 80s. They just don't last very long. I have also used the Heidenau K60s, which are okay. They last longer but you give up grip in the loose stuff and even a bit on the pavement because they are a harder compound. Right now I have a Shinko 805 on the rear of my GS. It has worked pretty good and has lasted as long as the TKCs, but the nature of the block pattern allows it to side slip quite a bit on off camber stuff. Out in the Hill Country, something like Anakees, Tourances, or something similar will work fine.

Stay an extra week if you can. About 30 VStrom and other adventure bike riders will be at the KOA in Kerrville.

Hey Tim, I lived there and worked at Arlington Suzuki as a mechanic in early 80's. Had a great time but no $$$ in the field. Left to go back to school up north. Looking at moving back to Texas. Moto mechanics do not get paid much. Very sad.

Back