• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Battle of the Bulge

5:2 is a form of intermittent fasting developed by Dr. Micheal Mosely. It's called the Fast Diet in the book BBC documentary. Essentially it called for two days where the total caloric intake is below 500 to 600 calories and the rest of the time the diet is open to pretty much anything. The two days need not be contiguous. It will strip the weight off of a person in no time and is really not as difficult as true alternate day fasting since you only need real will power two days per week. Cynthia and I used it a couple of years ago with good success.

^^^ what he said. I also try to still eat healthy, e.g. limited sugar, more fresh veggies, fruits, etc. I also just try to eat a moderate breakfast and lunch on my fast days, rather than trying to hit 600 cals, so I'm probably closer to 1000 cals for the 2 meals. There's strong evidence that fasting, even from 2 meals/week, has positive effects on your immune system, etc., triggering hormonal changes that are good for the body.

https://youtu.be/Ihhj_VSKiTs

It's simple arithmetic: calories burned > calories ingested = weight loss!

1 pound of fat = 3500 calories. A caloric deficit of 500/day loses a pound a week. (This is just fat; overall weight loss could be greater due to excess water loss.)

Do the math, stick to the math, and the math works. Every time.

It couldn't be that simple. Otherwise why are there shelves of diet books, uncountable diet plans, conflicting diet foods, multitudes of diet exercises, opposing theoretical dieticians, rich diet doctors, diet drugs, fat farms, and why do I breathe out as much as possible when on the scale?

Last edited:
It's simple arithmetic: calories burned > calories ingested = weight loss!...

The equation might be simple and known to all but the follow through is not simple for most.

More like: calories burned > calories ingested = hard to do!

That is the struggle and why this thread exists.

One personal tip that might help others. After drinking anything other than water and after eating each meal, I immediately brush my teeth and gargle/rinse with Listerine. I am much less likely to snack, eat or drink again soon.

_

The equation might be simple and known to all but the follow through is not simple for most.

More like: calories burned > calories ingested = hard to do!

That is the struggle and why this thread exists.

One personal tip that might help others. After drinking anything other than water and after eating each meal, I immediately brush my teeth and gargle/rinse with Listerine. I am much less likely to snack, eat or drink again soon.

_

This a prime example of the complexities of dieting. So many individual things and habits that work for someone, perhaps not everyone. Of course, calories have some importance too. But, humans are way too complex to consider just calories. We need more diet research!!!

I tried that once day the other day and I'm still fat - go figure

Seriously, I have purchased the book (The Fast Diet) and currently reading it to gain an understanding of the "science" and the method. I did try it once the other day. I was not able to confine myself to 600 calories, but I was under 700. It did have me scrambling to find foods that were filling but very low in calories.

Last edited:
It's simple arithmetic: calories burned > calories ingested = weight loss!

1 pound of fat = 3500 calories. A caloric deficit of 500/day loses a pound a week. (This is just fat; overall weight loss could be greater due to excess water loss.)

Do the math, stick to the math, and the math works. Every time.

So I need to lose 80 pounds.. If a normal diet is 2000 calories, I need to limit my diet to 1500 calories per day for the next year and half. I may kill someone in that timeframe.

_

What a GREAT idea! I had never thought of that but I know I don't like to eat soon after brushing teeth because food will taste funny. Your idea is worth a shot and will improve my next dental exam as well..

I tried that once day the other day and I'm still fat - go figure

Seriously, I have purchased the book (The Fast Diet) and currently reading it to gain an understanding of the "science" and the method. I did try it once the other day. I was not able to confine myself to 600 calories, but I was under 700. It did have me scrambling to find foods that were filling but very low in calories.

:rofl: I had to keep trying it over and over for it to finally work for me. Seriously though, removing almost 2/7ths of the calories from anyone's diet will be sufficient to drive weight loss.

The thing about fasting diets is what they do to promote other beneficial changes beside weight loss. Researchers have known since the 30s that restricted calorie diets could aid longevity. They are only now really learning all of the metabolic mechanisms that fasting triggers.

Keep in mind that Mosley is a television presenter with an MD and not a researcher, so take some of what he says bout the science with a grain of salt. This is a relatively new field and there is a lot of basic science going on.

Look up Krista Varady with the University of Illinois in Chicago. She does research in alternate day fasting. Then there is the research reported by the BBC above that shows results from just fasting a few days a month.

I'm really digging my Polar A300. Between it, the trainer who is trying to kill me and a wife that works at a cancer hospital and is therefore willing to eat rocks and twigs I may end up healthy after all. :eat:

Last edited:
^^^ what he said. I also try to still eat healthy, e.g. limited sugar, more fresh veggies, fruits, etc. I also just try to eat a moderate breakfast and lunch on my fast days, rather than trying to hit 600 cals, so I'm probably closer to 1000 cals for the 2 meals. There's strong evidence that fasting, even from 2 meals/week, has positive effects on your immune system, etc., triggering hormonal changes that are good for the body.

https://youtu.be/Ihhj_VSKiTs

I eat a yogurt and granola cocktail, and drink coffee & water before I workout. Then I'll have lunch or a hearty breakfast when I get back from the gym.

I do it three times a week (luckily retired). Hit it as hard as I can (and hopefully won't have another "stroke"). I can't eat bacon and eggs and work out. So I get a treat like that maybe twice or three times a week. And I am BBQ hobbyist too. Just not before a workout.

Bob, go to Home Depot and buy some Revolving Punch Pliers. Use them to shorten your belt. I think taking making your belt an inch shorter is quite a reward.

Bob, go to Home Depot and buy some Revolving Punch Pliers. Use them to shorten your belt. I think taking making your belt an inch shorter is quite a reward.
Or you could do what I do. Poke a hole in the belt using an ice pick. You save the money off buying the tool. [emoji12]

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I waited until I went from 46 to 36 before buying new britches.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

BeamerlessBob, great to meet you at Sam's today. Keep up the great work. If you need any advice or the like....please ask away.

Weekly update

I would love to report about how the pounds have been flying off, BUT ...

This morning the scale said
275.4 lbs, 45.6% body fat

Last weeks update, I was 273. Therefore I have GAINED 2 lbs. I am very discouraged.

I have been trying to make good choices of what I eat and have a goal of 1700 calories per day. I have meet that goal about 50% of the time. Obviously, I need to work harder on this.

I have done well with my walking. Fitbit sent me a weekly summary and it reports that for the past 7 days I have averaged over 13k steps per day and have logged over 70 miles walking. My walking, however, is at a leisure pace but it is more walking than I have ever done before.

I have read that to burn fat I need to raise my heat rate with more strenuous exercise. At the current time, I am hesitant to do that. When I was discharged fro the hospital I was told, walking was fine but take it easy for a while. At the time all I wanted to do was go home so I did not ask for more specific instructions. How easy is 'easy' and what does 'a while' mean? My first follow up with the cardo doc since having stints implanted is a little over week from now. So for now, I am just going to stay with walking.

I have meet with my PCP and she agreed to take me off blood pressure meds and for me to monitor my BP and report back. This morning my BP was 133/88. A little on the high side and not as good as when I am on the meds but hopefully I can bring it down.

So, I am discouraged and had hoped for more weight loss and certainly not a gain. But to quit is not an option unless I am ready to check out of life, so my only option it to make improvements.

Therefore, next week's goal:
1700 max calories every day
Pick up the pace with my walks.

I'll keep you posted.

Bob,

Don't be discouraged. You have a lot of friends along with you on this. You'll make it. Just keep hacking away, take your time and, most of all, don't hurt yourself. I am absolutely dying for a trip to Chuys. Fortunately the Admiral has outranked me each time I bring it up. As much as I miss Lone Star BMW, at least I'm not at Chuys every other weekend. ;-)

m

Weekly update

I would love to report about how the pounds have been flying off, BUT ...

This morning the scale said
275.4 lbs, 45.6% body fat

Last weeks update, I was 273. Therefore I have GAINED 2 lbs. I am very discouraged.

I have been trying to make good choices of what I eat and have a goal of 1700 calories per day. I have meet that goal about 50% of the time. Obviously, I need to work harder on this.

So, I am discouraged and had hoped for more weight loss and certainly not a gain. But to quit is not an option unless I am ready to check out of life, so my only option it to make improvements.

Therefore, next week's goal:
1700 max calories every day
Pick up the pace with my walks.

I'll keep you posted.

My take...

1) It took years, if not decades, to arrive at the state you are in. Expecting to turn things around in a manner of a few weeks is unrealistic. That said, find a way to stick to the 1700 max calories intake EVERY day, not half the time...ASAP!

2) Until you dig down deep and tell yourself the truth, nothing will change. What I mean is that your health is either important to you or it is not. Period.

While no where near the life/death decisions that you are dealing with, I dropped out of college in 1986 (after four years of struggling at it...i couldn't deal with the freedom/responsibility). The truth was that I was there to please others. I wasn't there for myself. In 1996 I found a new truth, that it was important to me that I complete my degree. Once I found that new truth, nothing was stopping me in achieving my goal. I returned to college in 1997 and earned my degree in 1999. Best decision I ever made, along with introducing me to a higher level of sacrifice.

I remember well how I hated others telling me how important it was that I finish my degree. Maddening. It took me 17 years, but I did it.

Not sure it will make an impact, but I am in your corner on this. Today you are feeling down and I can tell this is important to you. I pray you find the will to make the necessary changes in time.

Edit/Addition:

My point is this. Until you tell yourself the truth and come to the realization that your health is truly important to you, I expect to read more reports of how you are floundering along.

Once you change your attitude and really make a commitment to yourself, it will become second nature. It won't happen over night and it won't be "easy", but you will end up spending every waking moment making progress towards your goal of being healthy and you will achieve that goal.

Last edited:
WhiskeySmith hit the nail on the head, me thinks. Be very firm with yourself but also patient. And kind. Beating up on yourself is not helpful.

We are in your corner!

Bob
I'm not going to comment on any of the past few comments because I have been where you are and right now I'm not in the mood to get into an argument with folks on here over psychology and weight loss.

You're going to have good days and bad days and good weeks and bad weeks. Just remember the journey isn't won or lost in a single weigh in. Heck it's not won or lost in 2 weigh in's. As long as you have your head wrapped around where you need to be and how you're going to get there, it all works out in the end.

I appreciated you taking the time to share with me on Saturday at Fairfield. I can't say I know what it is like to have experienced a heart attack or the fear of mortality that you experienced. But I saw and heard a man with determination and a goal to succeed. You're do the right things. Just keep doing them.

Keep the calories as low as possible.
Keep the protein consumption high (Isopure Vanilla Non-Carb Protein Powder is da bomb)
Eat multiple (5-7) small meals a day
Drink a minimum of 1 gallon of water a day. Get yourself a 32 our cup at Wally World and use it as a standard. Remember ice counts also, afterall it is nothing but frozen water. :rofl:
Walking 10,000 steps a great accomplishment. Take a look at changing your enviorment periodically for doing it. If you don't make the 10K in a certain day, don't feel guilty....do 12K the next day. One thing to keep in mind about the Fitbit, it will pick up movements from driving as well. So if you drive wiht your left hand and you wear it on your left hand it will pick up false steps. And don't forget what I told you about motorcycles and fitbits, the vibrations will give you all the steps you ever want. :nono:

Figure out your target in conjunction with your doctor. And if you're not satisfied with your doctor find one you are happy with. I had a "come to jesus" discussion with my PCP over my whole process. He was not liking the way I was doing things, and I basicaly told him that it was working for me and I was feeling the best I've felt since grad school, so either support me or I'll find another doctor. He has been 100% supportive since then.

It's ok to feel guilty about slipping or cheating. Just make sure you keep it in perspective. Friday nights a group of friends have a wine/pizza/movie night. I eat salad and drink the wine and cheat with dark chocolate and maybe a slice of pizza. But I know I'm doing to and have to work out 2x on Saturday and Sunday to make up for it. And I enjoy both the Friday nights and the Satursday/Sunday workouts.

The worst thing you can do it beat yourself up. You're allowed to feel sorry for yourself for 38 seconds then it's time to go back and remember why you're doing this. For yourself and for your family.

The one thing I agree with is that we (me and you and others) didn't get there overnight. And unless you want to go through the surgery for lapband or stomach reduction.....you're going to have to work for your health.

You've helped start something here on TWT.....and I am honestly excited about it. Keep up the work. Make sure you do not overdo it too soon.

As I have stated on here and in person, if you have questions or need advice or just need/want to vent a bit let me know, I'm happy to share my phone number with you.

Only real comment I have, at this point, is one thing I don't think I've seen covered in the previous posts...and that's "Muscle".

You're working your body more now than in the previous years. During this process, you can expect to put on some muscle. Muscle is leaner than fat (duh!), but it's also heavier than fat. In the beginning of any regimen to lose weight, you need to pay more attention to how your clothes fit, and how you feel, than the display on the scale.

Muscle also burns fat - but no, it will never be "converted" from fat. As you put on more muscle you'll get smaller, and your weight at this point is actually irrelevant. It's not until you get your body to the point where it can actually burn off that fat you can worry about the scale. As you progress, your body will change, but it will be slow. It's very, very common for people to lose a few, feel good about it, and then, when the real changes are actually starting to happen, their weight goes up, they get discouraged, and stop.

You're just getting to the point where you can reasonably expect to start burning...don't stop now.

I think you've read something along these lines in previous posts, but just to reiterate it all:

The keys (for me) were to eat early in the morning, and eat small.
Always have something small, and healthy, readily at hand. You'll get hungry during the day, and if you're keeping your body right at that burn/feed stage, you'll drop faster.

I'm with you. Working on it, too. I've seen these things work on many others, including me. Even though now I seem to be stable between 235-239, it's still far too high. I should be down another 40. We'll both get there. Don't give up. What @WhiskeySmith said. Again.

Back