• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Unusual Chain Problem

I’ve never had this problem with my 1200 GSA.
Because you don't have chain and sprockets. Lol But seriously come clean now, you did tell me your final drive went out once. Started acting up in Wyoming or? and finally went out in Colorado where you had to have it serviced.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Thank you KiwiTex...

I've not had to fix the driveshaft on the RT, but then it is an older model without all of the recent improvements.

As for premature chain wear, the technology is about as straight forward as a rock fight. If improper installation, care, bad riding conditions and a poor quality chain have been ruled out, then all I can say is Gremlins. Then again JMZ will jump me for being superstitious.

Only things I'm supersticous about are mechanical and safety stuff. Lol

I haven't heard much about final drive failures on BMW's in the last few years. Maybe the LC generation banished these issues. Moving it to the opposite side seems to have worked! :rofl:

I never got more than 12K from my chains. The Bandit 1200 was really hard on them, but I have to admit, from a maintenance perspective, I'm a better shaft owner than chain owner.

IMO their rash of final drive failures seemed to center around the time when they went from the older design like on the 1100 and 1150 bikes to the 1200 bikes when they reworked the final drive and gave it not only a smaller fluid capacity but also touted it as "maint free" and didn't even put a drain plug on it. Then they quietly redesigned it again while basically going "nein, our motorcycles are perfect", just ignore those p/n changes and service manual changes.

Same thing happened with the pre 09 F bikes when they were frying stators and the non GS F bikes when they were puking up rear wheel and driven pulley bearings.

The chain on my Strom was the worst part. I went through too many . Maybe my fault , IDK.

Yeah I had the final drive go out on my 2008 GSA in Billings MT. It made it back to Raton but it was making some bad sounds by then.

Back