• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

First Photobucket...now PostImg

Reaction score
Putting one's trust and images into an image hosting site appears to be a significant gamble, as they are fully trustworthy and functioning right until they aren't. When Photobucket decided to change its business model rather drastically, it took me forever to find the time to update all of those links in the most important threads. I carefully searched for an alternative solution, and ultimately decided to go with PostImg.org, due to their fast and easy interface.

In fact, I had planned on adding to those images for upcoming posts, but now PostImg.org appears to have gone the ways of the dodo, once again without warning. A message by that site reads "postimg.ORG domain is locked by Registry, no prior notice. While we hope to resolve the issue, we chose postimg.CC as our new home. Please update codes embedded in your websites." :headbang: :rant:

Uploading the pics and updating the links in the threads was a very time-intensive task, and I cannot believe that this has happened again. The more that I think about it, the more I come to the conclusion that this is a risk that is nearly impossible to eliminate, unless you decide to host your images on your own server. How is everybody else dealing with this problem? Your input and suggestions are welcome.

Well, I've been on a pay for site for many years and it has worked out great. I still had old stuff on PB for a while, but migrated it off a couple of months before they started charging. I never went back an updated those old posts because they were all at least five years old.

Smugmug is what I've been with since 2011 with no issues. Basic plan, paid for annually is ~48 for the first year.

https://www.smugmug.com/plans

One of nice features is the bbcode embed code that you can directly cut and paste into the posts here without generating the tags (or using the image button). Unlimited storage at full size. Very good phone app and plugins for Lightroom if you do lots of editing on a computer.

Smugmug user here, as well.
I just wish they had the latitude to store PDF files.

For years I had a simple web hosting and domain on 1and1.com.
It was about $60/year, IIRC.
I could store anything.
However, they too changed without much notice.
All of a sudden my FTP uploader wouldn't access the folder tree and the fee structure skyrocketed.

I miss the days of BBSs and X-Tree Gold.

Last edited:
I miss the days of BBSs and X-Tree Gold.

:tab X-Tree Gold! That dates you :-P

:tab I have my own physical server, where the TWT site is hosted and I host my own personal images. Even that can be a hassle. I don't know squat about running a server. So I have to have help with that (thanks Woodbutcher). It is not cheap. Now I am running into issues with PayPal that will likely force me to migrate the forum and all my personal content to some kind of cloud hosting service. Nothing is hassle free, but if I were looking for an image hosting site right now, I would definitely be looking at SmugMug.

Yep, when photosucket did their thing I figured it was time to suck it up and start paying. I figure if I'm paying then they have a side of the bargain to uphold. Not foolproof, but better than relying on the free sites. Smugmug ended up being my choice.

:tab X-Tree Gold! That dates you :-P

:tab I have my own physical server, where the TWT site is hosted and I host my own personal images. Even that can be a hassle. I don't know squat about running a server. So I have to have help with that (thanks Woodbutcher). It is not cheap. Now I am running into issues with PayPal that will likely force me to migrate the forum and all my personal content to some kind of cloud hosting service. Nothing is hassle free, but if I were looking for an image hosting site right now, I would definitely be looking at SmugMug.
I too have gone to smugmug. I trust them about as much as anyone on the web.

What kind of paypal issues affect your server Scott?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

What kind of paypal issues affect your server Scott?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Some SSL ciphers the OS won't support. We have another server I picked up from work, but we are also looking at alternatives. And help...seems like time is always an issue.

I'd offer to help, but I'm pretty sure you don't want it. I keep my little SageTv server working, but even then I have occasional issues. I con't even spell most of the stuff you are having to work with. It is amazing what a time sink some of this computer stuff can be.

Used to use smugmug but was lured away to everpix before they went under. They let me download all my images again to but screwed up all the EXIF data and names. I'm still pissed about that.

I have some old message board images still hosted in my public folder for Dropbox. That works pretty well and I know not to delete them. Been doing that since 2011 and never had an issue.

Now I archive to Google Photos and then use imgur.com to host shared images on message boards in case I ever want to get rid of dropbox.

Now I archive to Google Photos and then use imgur.com to host shared images on message boards in case I ever want to get rid of dropbox.

This is from their terms of service:
Also, don't use Imgur to host image libraries you link to from elsewhere,

You stand a chance to lose all of that content.

This is from their terms of service:

You stand a chance to lose all of that content.

Oh interesting. I had no idea. Thanks for the heads up. So far it is only about 50 or so images so it wouldn't be too bad to move them.

Since Photobucket went to the dark side, I've been using Flickr. No problems so far. In fact, it's easier to use and performance is much better.

I am using Imgur right now since Photobucket went crazy. I used to use SmugMug but dislike paying to host pictures. Anything really important I keep stored locally and only upload what I may want to post online somewhere so there is little concern of losing images for me. Just hassle or re-uploading to a new image site if the I am using goes south.

In fact, I had planned on adding to those images for upcoming posts, but now PostImg.org appears to have gone the ways of the dodo, once again without warning. A message by that site reads "postimg.ORG domain is locked by Registry, no prior notice. While we hope to resolve the issue, we chose postimg.CC as our new home. Please update codes embedded in your websites." :headbang: :rant:

Yep, part of my images hosted on my "Cloud" thread are now not being displayed due to postimg.org hosting policy change. For free image sites, they need to be able to monetize their business model. This is usually accomplished by having the site create page views on their server with some type of banner ad mechanism etc.

RB

Just received this from smug mug ...

SmugMug + Flickr together at last.

Hello,

We are thrilled to announce that SmugMug has acquired Flickr. We couldn’t be more excited to unite two brands that share the same mission, passions, and values.

In a way, our communities existed long before our brands were established. Photographers have always found ways to connect with one another to share their passion, work, and inspiration. Both SmugMug and Flickr were born from a passion for photography and a mission to support the community we were already a part of.

For 15 years SmugMug has built products that reflect exactly what we believe: that photography is the global language of storytelling. Flickr is the other side of the same coin. Since 2004, they’ve established themselves as a home where photographers can go to inspire and be inspired, to share, learn, meet new friends, and share a piece of the soul that unites us all: storytelling.

Together we are home to the creators, the shutter pressers, the doers and makers. We’re home to you. Home is where you can hang your hat and kick up your feet. It’s also where you can go to work on your passion. Relax. Reload. Refine. Bring your authentic self. Dare to risk and grow.

Join us.

Learn more about the acquisition and our future together.

Just received this from smug mug ...

Yep. me too. They don't mention in the email that it will cost a minimum of $3.99/month billed annually when Flickr folds.

We have one month to get our stuff off before the eviction.

And all the threads I have posted to with pics are going to go zombie. It's the vintage rebuild stuff that's going to lose - like when I drilled the old and no longer available sealed beams and made them accept bulbs.

Don't get me wrong; I don't expect a free lunch. Just a sigh as another era ends.

Last edited:
I use imageevent.com. I pay every year, I can store pdfs, I have "10607 of Unlimited images, 24,073.86MB stored" I have been using it for almost 20 years. Never an issue. I have stuff on forums that is still there since at least 2003. So, I know folks hate to pay, but you do indeed get what you pay for. I pay about $5.41 or so a month as a $65.00 renewal payment every year. Not only that, there are no adds, I can email albums and I can protect what I don't want other folks to see.

OPT-306%20011.jpg

We have one month to get our stuff off before the eviction.

Ever tried to download albums from Flickr? It was a major pain a year ago and now with (probably) many people leaving, it will be even worse. I'll transition over to Smugmug and then ride it out to see what happens.

Hey Doug ... I been there!!!

I need to look into your hosting site.
I try and document all our stuff for insurance purposes. Receipts are easier to manage in pdf format.

Last edited:
Ever tried to download albums from Flickr? It was a major pain a year ago and now with (probably) many people leaving, it will be even worse. I'll transition over to Smugmug and then ride it out to see what happens.

I started yesterday. It's a huge pain to download from Flickr.

The more that I think about it, the more I come to the conclusion that this is a risk that is nearly impossible to eliminate, unless you decide to host your images on your own server. How is everybody else dealing with this problem? Your input and suggestions are welcome.

For "serious" posts I have my own Virtual Private Server (VPS) over on Linode, with my own domain name and all that. It is likely cheaper than you think.

For quick one-off image shares, I use imgur. If imgur went toes-up tomorrow, I wouldn't cry about it.

Back