• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

mx boots for dual sport?

These Gaerne boots have that ankle pivot. I had some ARC boots that were mostly plastic with the pivot and felt great so I looked for that feature in my current selection.

These Gaerne boots have that ankle pivot. I had some ARC boots that were mostly plastic with the pivot and felt great so I looked for that feature in my current selection.

Got a link to either of these? Are they water proof (so long as the water doesn't go over the top)?

http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/...t+Boots&utm_campaign=off+road-motocross+boots

Ive not tried them out yet. But will this friday. One of the things I like about them is the amount of protection on the little toes. Most bots seem to just have leather there while these have a layer of plastic. Easy to walk in out of the box thanks to the ankle pivot.

Ordered on monday and recieved on thursday. Smokin deal.

http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/...t+Boots&utm_campaign=off+road-motocross+boots

Ive not tried them out yet. But will this friday.

Ordered on monday and recieved on thursday. Smokin deal.

:tab Those do look nice! Looks like they aren't quite as adjustable through the calves as the SIDIs, but that is a great price!

:tab "Slim fit"... :ponder: One of the reasons I went with the SIDIs I have is they were the only boot wide enough across the toes to fit my feet. Apparently I have fat feet? I wear a 10 or 10-1/2 and tried all the AlpineStars, Oneal, Thor, etc... and they were all too narrow when I had them in the right length.

:tab I look forward to your review of them.

I just joined TWT and up to this point have just been lurking around reading, but this thread hit home. Just bought a new 2012 XR650L two weeks ago, used to ride a KDX 420 about 30 years ago out in San Diego while in the Navy. I got the bike home and immediately hit the pasture and trails I have on my five acres, put about 18 miles on the bike just fooling around with my son on his four wheeler. Just as we were heading back to the house I went through a tight spot and got a little out of shape and side swiped a tree (I still think the tree moved) short story I was wearing tennis shoes (I know better) and broke my big toe in two places. Definitely need to buy a pair of riding boots, your comments have gone a long way in helping me to decide which kind of boots to go with, thanks. Sorry haven't gotten around to figuring out how to post pictures yet.

When I crashed on the street, my peg feeler punched through my boot and into my foot. It took two months to heal. After that experience I decided foot protection is really important.

I bought some Alpinestars Tech 3 All-Terrains. It's their entry-level MX boot with a lug sole. Yeah they'll be stiff and hard to use at first, but nothing a break-in shouldn't solve. And when I think about my DR landing on my foot, I want something that feels like a ski boot protecting me.

This thread is a little over a year old (original post), but rather than start a new one I figured I'd see if anyone has any updates.

I'm getting ready to buy a pair of boots to use when I ride the dual sport, but I'm having trouble determining what boot would work the best. I currently have 2 sets of Sidi's - one for the street and another set of motocross boots, but neither pair would work well on the dual sport. While I'd normally just find a Sidi and go with it, the current cost of the boots has driven me to look for a less expensive alternative.

I've read glowing reviews on the Gaerne Balance boots and would like to give them a try. The boots are available as "Oiled Waterproof" ($324.99) and then non-oiled non-waterproof ($219.99). The difference in price is substantial, so the question is - do I really need waterproof boots? I love the thought of forging a stream or two as I ride, but it appears from what I've read that even the "waterproof" boots are not waterproof if you go over the top of the boot. If all I'm getting with a "waterproof" boot is something that rain slides off of, then I figure I could just spray the boots before I ride.

Comments?

Last edited:
From what I've read the Fox comp 5 boots ate comfy enough fr walking and still offer good protection. I was looking at those bit want the white and I need a 14 in those (they run small)
Wild West has they in stock. They're under $200 and seem to get good reviews.

I just recieved a pair of Gaerne React MX boots and they feel great! Will find out tomorrow how they feel on the bike. KLX400

Smokin deal too at $235.00

bought the same pair. they felt good right out of the box. wore them 8 hours the day i got them. the sizes run a litte small

I just bought a set of Thor 50/50. Essentially a short mx boot. It comes to just over the ankle, I have been commuting for about a month and they are nice. Solid like a proper MX boot.

I have the Gaerne Reacts as well. They are as light or lighter than the Alpinestars Tech 8 lights. Very nice boot.

Just got back from a 65 mile ride (64.5 miles road and .5 dirt) using a pair of "just over the ankle" hiking boots. They worked, but I felt like I had zero protection. Does anyone ride with army style boots? Those would have higher ankle protection....

Also - for those of you who have the Gaerne Reacts, have you dunked them? If so, how do they handle the wet?

I have the Gaerne Reacts as well. They are as light or lighter than the Alpinestars Tech 8 lights. Very nice boot.

Have you owned both? I've got the Tech 8s now and have been casually looking for their replacement.
The $235ish price puts them really close to the Fox (which I had ruled out do to my size being unavailable) and the Alpinestars Tech 3.

Do the Gaernes fit pretty true to size? I wear a 13 in most shoes. My tech 8s are 12 but I need a 14 in the fox boot.

Just got back from a 65 mile ride (64.5 miles road and .5 dirt) using a pair of "just over the ankle" hiking boots. They worked, but I felt like I had zero protection. Does anyone ride with army style boots? Those would have higher ankle protection....

Also - for those of you who have the Gaerne Reacts, have you dunked them? If so, how do they handle the wet?

i wear a pair of bates for my daily commute boot. then i just wear them the rest of the day at work

Have you owned both? I've got the Tech 8s now and have been casually looking for their replacement.
The $235ish price puts them really close to the Fox (which I had ruled out do to my size being unavailable) and the Alpinestars Tech 3.

Do the Gaernes fit pretty true to size? I wear a 13 in most shoes. My tech 8s are 12 but I need a 14 in the fox boot.

Well what is weird is that all the boots have changed sizing over the last few years. I used to wear a 10 in most boots but now I wear an 11 in Alpinestars and Gaerne. I would def try a pair on first before u buy. The Tech 3s are pretty cheap. I would go a bit higher.

Cycle shack North in Conroe has some Gaerne you can try on for size. I found that most all Mx boots i have tried fis small i normally wer 11.5/12 but had to go with a 13. The little bit of water i have been in has been mud holes and they did not leak.

I pulled the trigger on some last night. Motorcycle closeouts has them for $237. I did some reading and most people said they fit pretty true to size.

Boots are funny. I've tried on a bunch. My old Sidi road boots were a 47. A* I wear a 12. Thor, o'niel, fly and one other I'm a 13 (like my normal shoes), and the fox comp 5 I need a 14.
I ordered 13s, and if they don't fit, their website says I can trade them for another size with out hassle.

Saw on facebook today that Bike Bandit is having a sale on Gaerne G-Adenture boots.
Take an extra 20% off. That will put them down to almost $200. Use coupon code: "GBOOTS"
They look like they would make a good dual sport boot.
Just thought I'd pass it along.

Back