• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Lane Splitting ( A Cagers View )

Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Last Name
Wells III
Glad nobody ran a red light...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCXHp-rKEm4"]Lane Splitting A Cagers View - YouTube[/ame]

Look at motorcycle crashes on youtube and this is how the majority of them occur. (Not going thru a light like that, but going much faster than the autos going in the same direction.)

I've actually been saved from a crash twice so far, by not jumping off the line like that.

Well, I saw the winner this morning. Guy on a scooter (vespa type) split between me and the entry lane with merging traffic no less. And 635 is still covered in sand.

Scared **** out of me.

Larry
VFRrider

Right turn on red is a door just waiting to slam on you. We each takes our chances......

Having split lanes in LA for 6 years back in the late 80s early 90s that would get ya a ticket. Yes, lane splitting in Cali is NOT legal, they just do not enforce it unless the rider is being blatantly unsafe, such as that. CHP sees bikes as part of the traffic solution, thus the reason they allow it.

At a red light they will allow you to filter to the front of the cue while everyone is stopped. But once traffic is moving its a no no. You see guys do it all of the time out there but I assure you from first hand experience it is very unsafe in any lane other than between the #1 and #2 lanes where cars expect to see you and actually drive on the outer edge of those lanes to give you room.

Do not, under any circumstances, travel out of the United States or Canada.:eek2:

Do not, under any circumstances, travel out of the United States or Canada.:eek2:

As my host explained to me about driving, when I visited Uganda about 10 years ago: "There are no rules --- there are a few suggestions......."

As my host explained to me about driving, when I visited Uganda about 10 years ago: "There are no rules --- there are a few suggestions......."

Yes, I understand completely. In Luanda, traffic lights are merely recommendations. In almost every country in South and Central America, double yellow lines and speed limits are seen as challenges, lane lines are a waste of paint.

Funny though, after you get "it", which doesn't take long, it really isn't a big deal. It seems the only rule followed is "don't have an accident" and believe it or not, that works pretty well.

Last edited:
Back