• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Bajaworx Ralley Windscreen for the DR650 *Update2*

Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hughes
Well after some posts here and on the DR forum, it's come to my attention that the odd feeling I've had after putting on the 606's really is an issue. While without the screen it was ok, one the screen is on the front end gets crazy. I jacked up the bike this morning and sure enough, the front tire looks out of round. So I'll be taking it by Cycle gear, thats where I got the tire. Once that's settled and back on I'll update again.

As always, thanks for the input guys.

So I got everything installed and I have to say I love the look love the sound. But now I have a problem. The wobble that comes from that windscreen! I was hoping that it was just me being sick, but no. I took it out again today and the bike is SUPER unstable. Any little thing at speeds above 50 mph can make it wobble. I even lowered the windscreen so that it sat lower like the picture on procycle's web page. That did help with the buffeting. That is gone now. But the over all wind protection isn't worth the money spent on this thing. That and this wobble? I've tried searching to see if anyone else has had the same issue but haven't come up with anything yet.

Re: Bajaworx Ralley Windscreen for the DR650

If every Bajaworx DR650 windscreen caused a wobble there would likely be comments all over the net so the windscreen may just be triggering another problem. Not saying this one isn't bad, just check for other issues before giving it up. Lot's of stuff can cause a wobble and sometimes it can be triggered by something as simple as tire pressure. Hope you get it figured out.

If every Bajaworx DR650 windscreen caused a wobble there would likely be comments all over the net so the windscreen may just be triggering another problem. Not saying this one isn't bad, just check for other issues before giving it up. Lot's of stuff can cause a wobble and sometimes it can be triggered by something as simple as tire pressure. Hope you get it figured out.

I contacted Bajaworx and so far they seem just as perplexed as I am, and seem to want to help. They too think it could be bringing to light a problem I already had just didn't know it.

The bike has seemed twitchy ever sense I put the 606's on it. I figured it was just how the ride was with knobby tires.

I abandoned the D606 because of the pavement handling. Lot's of riders like them though. It's the best turf tire and more than adequate for most off road conditions. One popular setup is to run a D606 on the back and an Pirelli MT21 on the front. With all that said, a D606 in itself should not cause a wobble either. Again, it's likely a combination of factors. Maybe one of the techs can jump in here with suggestions.

less than 5000 more than 4000, it's a 2013. I've had it less than a yr.

Did you modify the suspension? Have you adjusted the sag settings so it is riding at the right height? Too high in the rear with make it twitchy, Loose steering bearings will wobble too.

Knobbies will wander a bit. I've never run 606s though, so I don't know if they are worse or better. Any fork mounted sheild is going to influence steering, but, as mentioned by others, if the rest of the system is good it shouldn't cause a problem.

I changed the springs, and set the sag as well as I could by myself. But it's hard to measure while sitting on the bike.

The 606's do track the road pretty bad, but after a while you get use to it. As long as you pay attention to the road you can gauge when and where the bike is going.

I think I might have over tightened the bolts and cut off the air flow under it. I'm going to get some washers this afternoon and see what happens.

I got the wheel back an installed. I took it out for a short run without the screen to get longer screws for the screen. Even with it off it felt a little unstable, but I'm thinking that it's me. I run it up to about 65 and all seems good.

Got home and installed a 1/4in spacer between the screen and cowl and took it out. It's defiantly more stable than before. I ran it all the way to 80, it feels like it wants to weave but doesn't. If I bump the bars it's quick to react. But I can't tell if it's me being nervous and anticipating it or if there is still an issue. I'm still not 100%, this flu is a tough one. So I'll ride it next week to work if weather permits and see what happens.

So I know the instability WAS NOT because of the screen. I put that in bold so the guys at BAJAWORX wont hate me. :mrgreen:

I need to find a get bike guy that can set this thing up for me. I just don't know enough about it. I had my son come out and rechecked the sag and he got 3ins. That's what I got when I did checked it. And everything was fine up until I put the 606 on. The front tire/wheel is true and balanced. They took the tire off trued up the wheel and reset the tire. So I don't know. I wonder if my preload is too much. I followed the instructions that came with the springs.

Anyways, I'll ride it and see what happens. Until then, if anyone knows of a good place to take the bike please let me know.

I changed the springs, and set the sag as well as I could by myself. But it's hard to measure while sitting on the bike.

You may need to adjust your clicker if you have one. The stiffer spring is probably overpowering the damping. Becareful!

I have a 2013 DR with 606's on it and haven't noticed any change after I put the Bajaworx on. And that's up to an indicated 80. But, next time I need tires will not be putting a 606 on the front.

I have a 2013 DR with 606's on it and haven't noticed any change after I put the Bajaworx on. And that's up to an indicated 80. But, next time I need tires will not be putting a 606 on the front.

I've got it about 90% gone. It'll still wobble, but only in turbulant wind (like what you get behind a mini van).

I balanced and trued (or I had it done) the front wheel, put a space between the faring and wind screen, and lowered the angle of my hand guards. With all of that done I don't usually have any issues. But if there is a strong headwind and I accelerate hard from 4th to 5th or if I'm behind a big vehicle it will start.

Could be the springs are too stiff, I don't know. I had the 4k mile checkup done at TJ's and they didn't say anything about it. I made sure to explain what was happening. I don't really think they even rode it, other wise they would have noticed the rear brake lever was bent and not engaging my rear brake.

So far it hasn't been worth by time to buy new softer springs.

I do have race tech springs in both ends. But on the front I did have to use shorter spacers to get the sag right. You might check that.

Update... It`s the tires..
I just switched back to stock tires from 606`s and now zero issues.
The 606`s were pretty much worn and stability issues were starting to show up. They had about 3k on them.:clap:

Back