• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Riding in MX, preps for and stuff to do before

garfey

Reaction score
First Name
Dave
I'm not sure if this is the "correct" place for this but in the middle of a great RR wasn't, so I'm copying/pasting what I was about to post in, and clutter up, Trail Boss's thread/RR re his & JT's Excellent Adventure finding "The Other End" of Santa Elena Canyon.

This is 1st-hand info from two trips into MX last year, both to Ensenada, the 1st (May-June) for the Baja 500 and the 2nd (Sept-Oct) for Baja Rally 3.0.

Re (finally) getting a Passport: As I was committed to providing a bike for ADVRider Inmate bananaman to ride in the Baja500, I had to break down and get a P'port. Now, I was generally PO'd (/P'dO (?)) at the idea of having to have a Passport to get home when I didn't need one to leave - dang overreaction & shotgun approach to 9/11 by the Washington Weenies! - but I was committed and already had beaucoup $$$$'s "invested" so when ya gotta, ya gotta. I filled out the Application online and printed it and got photos made and was ready to turn it in. Per what I read on the State Department website, I expected 30days or more to get one, even with the "Expedite" fee.

Actual time, application to receipt => 9 days.

I don't know if it depends on which Passport Office you go to, but The Guy at the Main PO in Tyler flat knows what he's doing, and should, having been there, IIRC, 32yrs. He's also a funny dude who enjoys his work and makes sure that his customers do, too.

With 10 days South of the Border in May/June last year (Baja 500) plus another week in Sept/Oct (Baja Rally 3.0), my Passport was checked exactly twice, by "our guys" at the border, coming back North. Also, the only potential "paperwork" problem was at the Otay Mesa crossing in May when the (female) MX Agent went hermitile over the 7 spare tires I had in the truck bed - it seems if there are more than two (per bike, UNMOUNTED - if they're mounted, reportedly (by experienced BJ500-ers) there's no problem), they want Import Duties, reasoning that they must be being imported for resale in MX. Handed off to a Caballero, Max (bananaman on ADVRider) soon had him laughing and when the Agent whipped out his cell phone and showed Max a picture (of him wheelie-ing his Quad), we were Golden. Having a guy who'd grown up in Panama and habla'd was a definite PLUS. Alone, I'd have been in Deep Kimchi!

2nd time, crossing at Tecate with 3 bikes on the trailer, towed by The Adventure Crown Vicky ( TWT FM ), the MX agent checked license plate numbers against MX insurance papers (trailer, too!) but didn't even look for VINs, commented on the 4 spare tires in the trunk (two mounted on extra wheels), then "Have a nice time in Mexico, Senor."

Also, during BR3.0, we were waaaay South of the "Free Zone" (as in down to El Progreso (totally deserted/abandoned, landmark palapa gone, still smoldering when we got there) where I headed back North (the bikes/Quads continued East to Mision La Catavina for their last bivouac before the finish back in Ensenada) and went thru many checkpoints, military and Policia, and was NEVER stopped/questioned except to ask where I was going (back to the Motel in Ensenada). "Have a nice day, Senor." YMMV

However, since then I have read that the the "Free Zone" is no more and that Temporary Import/Aduana papers are required everywhere, but I don't know if that is true. I'll find out next month and report back.

"PRO TIP": If you're going to go to MX more than once in a year and stay a while, buy an annual insurance policy. Short term policies are horribly expensive, like $7-10/DAY (on the Sept/Oct trip I was insuring five vehicles!) and the premium for an annual policy will not cost much more than one for two weeks.

HINT: If going to Baja, DO NOT cross at Otay Mesa (unless you really want to feel your way all the way across the "back side" of Tijuana! There's a paucity of street/Hwy signs there (as in essentially NONE) and TJ, if you don't know it, is HUGE)! Instead, cross at Tecate, head straight ahead (South) until you intersect MX3, turn right and follow it thru MX Wine Country (beautiful!!!) to the North side of Ensenada, then turn left onto MX1 and Bob's Your Uncle. Or, if you'd like a little Adventure on the way, cross at Calexico/Mexicali, offload the bike(s), and ride La Rumorosa/Rumarosa both ways before reloading and heading on West to Tecate, then South on MX3, as above. (Note: I haven't done this yet but will probably run the south side of the border all the way from San Luis Rio Colorado, Sonora, MX (/Yuma) to Tecate, then cross North to camp/ride in the Dez abt 12-13 days (?? Hot Springs ??) until WARPED. Or bum a couch/bed in/around San Diego for a while. :trust:

'Nother Note: Motel rooms in Mexicali and Tecate are CHEAP, as in $15/day, and $20-25 in Ensenada. Note also that Booking.com lists/books rooms at Motel Agora in Ensenada for $41-45/day; same room is $25/day if booked at the desk.

Dunno about SLRC and Mexicali but will soon.

Last edited:
I am by no means a MX expert but I know a little.

Free Zone is still active. All of Baja, most of Sonora and other places certain range from border but this I'm not clear on how they control. No papers of any kind required for entry passenger vehicle. I recommend however to carry a registration renewal or something else that has VIN and your name on it anyway, basically anything official printed from state...but if you are hauling a bike, ATV, UTV,etc. always be prepared with above paper as they almost always ask to see papers for it. Also for the trailer you are using and names must match on both. Trailer and hauled toy on it name mismatch can stop you cold.

+1 on annual drivers policy. Very cheap, $90-$100 a year and covers you for liability on anything you drive; car, truck, bike, RV. Only exception is cannot be a MX registered vehicle. I try to avoid entering on higher value vehicles that need collision/comprehensive coverage anyway so this helps discourage me. If I do, then I get a short term policy when needed. You can buy annual full coverage also but higher, approx $300 a year for $25K value and then only covers that vehicle.

Plenty of other hassle free entry points. Sonoyta south of Tucson is another. Hwy 2 to Baja is not the most scenic drive but still better than I-10

Just returned from overseas recently and got my passport renewal in the mail quickly thereafter as figured I wouldn't be out again for a couple months at earliest. Ordered a passport card at the same time for MX and cruise line trips. Total was only $140 (passport $110, card $30). Didn't pay for any special processing or mail expediting fees. I will post back here with the actual time it takes upon receiving back in the snail mail. FYI, I visit my PO Box almost daily and witness crazy long lines (2-3 hour waits typical) for people applying for passports in person and paying all those extra fees. A little planning goes a long way and saves much time and money. Do it before you need it, it's valid for 10 years.

_

... Free Zone is still active. All of Baja, most of Sonora and other places certain range from border but this I'm not clear on how they control. No papers of any kind required for entry passenger vehicle.

Yes, that's how I thought it was, but last year preparatory to heading for Ensenada for Baja Rally 3.0 in September, I read somewhere (pretty sure it was on an "Official MX.gov site) that that was by "special exception" to the actual MX law and that that exception was going to be scrapped so that the base law applied and that, best I recall, Import Papers (Aduana) were required for EVERY Vehicle entering, everywhere. Obviously I wish I'd "saved" that and printed it out and bookmarked it . . . . . but I didn't, {only having about a bazillion things to take care of before delivering the 500EXC to Ensenada and turning it over to Jenny Morgan, who'd already flown in from England to race it and was breaking in her new Honda CB500X in Norcal and the Dez. (And the EXC did not let her down, losing only the taillight (apparently made of finest, thinnest, most fragile Crystal and NOT what's needed for off-road racing, though threy're really beautiful parts if you look at them closely (available online for abt 1/3 the OEM price, even after Munn's substantial discount on parts for Lifetime KTMTalk members - WORTH EVERY PENNY OF THE COST, IMO) and underfender/license-plate bracket (same part seen in the attached pic from when La Policia brought the bike and bananaman back to the Motel in Ensenada after his endo at Erendira Ejido while pre-running for the Baja500) which she saved, tucked into her Camelback and delivered to her (one (wo)man Service Crew at the bivouac.) And she told me what to do in future to prevent both taillight and underfender problems and that info is available anytime anyone wants to buy me a beer at a campfire, or wherever)}, and I just Googled again and here's what I found.

BAJA CALIFORNIA: Bajabound knows what they're talking about, being probably the best-known and most successful outfit at getting folks ready to tackle the Baja500 and/or BJ1000.

And that link contains a link to info re

SONORA: And I believe this to be "GOSPEL" and 100% correct and I will be following the procedures contained herein step by step.

And it is NOT what we thought the requirements were/are and I say Ignore This At Your Peril.

Now, as to whether or not it is enforced, in actuality, my experience is that that may depend on where you are and who the "enforcer" is and how "honest" the enforcer is. YMMV

I recommend however to carry a registration renewal or something else that has VIN and your name on it anyway, basically anything official printed from state...but if you are hauling a bike, ATV, UTV,etc. always be prepared with above paper as they almost always ask to see papers for it. Also for the trailer you are using and names must match on both. Trailer and hauled toy on it name mismatch can stop you cold.

I carried Titles, Registrations, and both US & MX insurance papers on every "rollable" and, Buddy, the insurance on 5 vehicles added up quickly, as in $7-10/day for each one and that was Liability Only, even on the trailer. Broader coverage was not even available on the bikes or trailer so my advice is to NOT take anything to MX if you aren't prepared to lose it and walk away smiling. The only time any of it was looked at/questioned was at the Border Crossing in Tecate when the Agent matched Registrations (i.e., License Plates) against MX Insurance Papers and, yes, individual insurance was required ON EACH ONE.

+1 on annual drivers policy. Very cheap, $90-$100 a year and covers you for liability on anything you drive; car, truck, bike, RV. Only exception is cannot be a MX registered vehicle. I try to avoid entering on higher value vehicles that need collision/comprehensive coverage anyway so this helps discourage me. If I do, then I get a short term policy when needed. You can buy annual full coverage also but higher, approx $300 a year for $25K value and then only covers that vehicle.

I have not heard of this before and that includes talking with a bunch of experienced Baja500 Racers & Crew, over many days in Ensenada. A link to info would be appreciated, especially if it's way around those exorbitant short-term Liability Insurance rates.

Plenty of other hassle free entry points. Sonoyta south of Tucson is another. Hwy 2 to Baja is not the most scenic drive but still better than I-10

Just returned from overseas recently and got my passport renewal in the mail quickly thereafter as figured I wouldn't be out again for a couple months at earliest. Ordered a passport card at the same time for MX and cruise line trips. Total was only $140 (passport $110, card $30). Didn't pay for any special processing or mail expediting fees. I will post back here with the actual time it takes upon receiving back in the snail mail. FYI, I visit my PO Box almost daily and witness crazy long lines (2-3 hour waits typical) for people applying for passports in person and paying all those extra fees. A little planning goes a long way and saves much time and money. Do it before you need it, it's valid for 10 years.

_

Good info for the most part.

At the Passport Office at the Main PO in Tyler, appointments were/are not required but are "strongly recommended" I drove up one day but was delayed and didn't get there until abt 29min before closing. Nope, ain't gonna get in though I was the only one waiting; The Passport Guy had just taken in the last of the day, two minutes earlier and I'd have been in. So I made an appointment for the next day and went right in and had a good ol' time and paid my money (Expedite Fee included but I'd never had a Passport before, and I wouldn't have for a renewal which could have been done by mail, anyway) was in & out in abt 25-30min (5 of us "inside," two of them just about ready to leave when I was admitted), laughing and, as I said, had Passport in hand 9 days later.

Read the Instructions printed on the boot heel (i.e., the State Department website) and no problemo! I have no clue why anyone would choose to stand in long lines, anywhere, for anything.

I have not heard of this before and that includes talking with a bunch of experienced Baja500 Racers & Crew, over many days in Ensenada. A link to info would be appreciated, especially if it's way around those exorbitant short-term Liability Insurance rates.

I use Portugal Insurance, they are in Puerto Penasco, Sonora. They have two offices in town, both with Arizona numbers so no Int'l phone charges. Someone is usually always available that speaks good English (602) 445-6182 or (602) 283-3686. They will take your info over the phone and email you the policy. I like this because then easy to save email attachment of policy on my cell phone so I always have it handy. Underwriter is General de Seguros, regardless of what broker or agency you purchase insurance from there are only 2 or 3 insurance underwriters in Mexico. Last annual liability policy I purchased was $90 but I remember my brother recently renewed his and it increased to $100. But if you buy two policies at the same time only $185. Remember this covers you as a driver not a specific vehicle, so if two drivers you both need a policy. It covers you on any vehicle you drive so long it is not Mexico registered.

They have competitve rates on full coverage and short term policies also. In December I purchased full coverage for my daughter's Saturn, 4 days insured to $10K value was $39 after tax. My Tenere full coverage insured to $15K was $18 for 1 day. They charge a $5 policy fee so shorter policies are higher.

_

Back