• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

The Phenix Oiler

Ken, I showed this too a buddy of mine and he made some snide comment about, oh he only oils the top of his chain?? Followed by, "wow that is messy"... I was a little offended because I recalled taking the motor out of his bike and not being able to grab on to it because it was coated in oil and grease.... Talk about irony......... LOL
No more free motor swaps for him, even if he does provide the drinks and dinner.. :rofl:

I'm going to file this in the things to add to my adventure bike, once I start building it!!!!

Understood. There's always somebody waiting to poo poo an idea. I have benefited so much from others' ingenuity and I post this stuff in hopes that somebody else can use it too. That's the way the rider community is. :mrgreen:

BTW: I haven't given the old girl a bath since I started this project but I have noticed the WD-40 wipes right off with a rag - much easier than PJ-1 residue.

atf and wd40 combined for chain lube. I must confess I've never heard of such a thing. wd40 sure but atf? very interesting. thanks for the education.

The more I use the WD-40 the more I like it. Check this. I took the bike to the car wash and this is how the high pressure wand left the chain, sprocket and swingarm. No stiff bristle brush, no oily rag. Voila! :trust:

WP_20141102_16_43_46_Pro%5B1%5D-XL.jpg

How many miles on that chain again Ken?

My maintenance log is at the office but it's really close to 5k. I also meant to point out that the axle is still all the way up in the front of the slots.

I'm really pleased with the chain too. I've been running EK chains at least 5 years and would get 20 to 30k out of them cleaning and lubing with PJ-1 every 300 miles or so. This one, EK 530zzz rated at 11,000 pounds of tensile strength is on track to last quite a bit longer. Here's hoping.

That's not the same chain you did your West coast trip last year then correct?

That's not the same chain you did your West coast trip last year then correct?

Correct. I got 21k out of that set. The chain had more life in it but the front sprocket was toast so I just replaced the whole set. And I lied, that was 3,600 miles ago, not 5k. But I would have adjusted the chain at least a couple of times by now - so I'm really pleased this go-round. :mrgreen:

UPDATE: I now have a little better than 6700 miles on my chain and the axle is still in the front of the slots. I just give the chain a little squirt pretty much every time I get on the bike and voila - virtually no stretch. :trust:

Outstanding.... glad to see you're still pleased with the WD40.

I'm finishing up my Loobman oiler mount (v2.0) for my recently installed chain and sprockets. I ended up getting 54,000 miles out of the previous chain and rear sprocket - used up two fronts and flipped them over to wear out the other side of the teeth. :deal:

Trying to decide on lube type - whether to run straight WD40 - as I can now reach the reservoir while riding and do applications on the fly. Haven't ruled out the previous concoction.

Outstanding.... glad to see you're still pleased with the WD40.

I'm finishing up my Loobman oiler mount (v2.0) for my recently installed chain and sprockets. I ended up getting 54,000 miles out of the previous chain and rear sprocket - used up two fronts and flipped them over to wear out the other side of the teeth. :deal:

Trying to decide on lube type - whether to run straight WD40 - as I can now reach the reservoir while riding and do applications on the fly. Haven't ruled out the previous concoction.

EXCELLENT!! :clap: I didn't think about flipping the front sprocket. Good idea.

If I had the Loobman I might do a mix of WD40 and ATF. In the Iron Butt magazine test, a Scott oiler with straight ATF was used as the benchmark to measure the spray lubes.

The Phenix Oiler 3.0

UPDATE:
I have gotten in the habit of giving the chain a little squirt while rolling in 1st gear just about every time I get on the bike. But I ran out of WD-40 while on a short road trip back in February and the chain ran dry a while. So due to my own negligence I had to make the first minor adjustment. The axle rode in the front of the slots for 9,809 miles.

PHENIX OILER 3.0

Well after that first adjustment came another followed by that dreadful grinding and popping sound when starting off. I feared my little experiment had cost me a chain. But I had a like new oem front sprocket in the garage and figured it was worth a try. Bingo! Once again the chain runs quietly and the axle rests in the front of the slots!

In the Iron Butt Magazine test the Scott Oiler using ATF recorded the lowest chain and sprocket temperatures with WD-40 a close second. I always wished for a way to combine those two fluids or anything else I might want to try.

Almost 10k with no chain adjustment speaks for itself. However, a copious amount of WD-40 (a squirt every 50 - 60 miles or so) is required to keep the chain cool and wet when out on the road and there's no way to know when the can is empty. I almost broke down and ordered a Loobman Oiler but I really didn't want the whole swingarm/rear sprocket apparatus. So all I really needed was a small reservoir placed accessibly with a lid for checking and adding fluid and a valve for dispensing it. I got this.

20160513_183242-L.jpg

20160513_183100-L.jpg

The ball valve has a long handle for easy access and the spring ensures it stays closed. I put a tiny vent hole in the center of the buddy bearing cap. Now I just open the valve for 3 - 5 seconds every 100 miles or so and life is good.

I tidied up a little, moving the lube delivery point off the swingarm altogether by cutting a grove in the front sprocket cover to hold the tube.

20160404_224228-L.jpg

I began with straight SAE 30 motor oil which required longer valve opening and seemed to bounce off the chain ending up on the garage floor. So I cut the oil 50/50 with good old WD-40. The dripping completely stopped and the chain is visibly well lubed. I have already mixed some ATF/WD-40 to try next. Stay tuned.

https://kphenix.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/The-Phenix-Oiler/i-LMhMZ7X

Last edited:
So I managed to squeeze in a BB1500 to Ft Hancock and back May 16th. The new oiler worked flawlessly and the 50/50 mixture held the drips to a minimum. I am very pleased.

Is the tube just open ended over the front sprocket?

Is the tube just open ended over the front sprocket?
Yes. An orifice isn't necessary. I control the viscosity of the lube, the amount of time the valve is open and the interval between valve openings. It doesn't take long to find your happy place between dry chain and wet garage floor. :rofl:

I already had just about everything I needed to build this rig in the man cave. When I ordered the ball valve for my fuel cell project I got an extra one for the oiler. $15 shipped ain't bad and it comes with 3 handles. The lever pictured is most convenient.
https://www.maplefarkles.com/index.php/products/plumbing

I may misremember, or maybe it's just been too long since I bought brass hose fittings (lower left of the page linked above) but those prices look awfully high to me. I'm thinking they should go for a buck apiece, or so, at Lowe's or your friendly local Hardware Store (both of which probably also have the ball valves) so I think maybe the "free shipping" ain't really, y'know, like, free.

3.0 is pretty slick haha. I've got all he stuff in the garage to make your original oiler. I need to get to it.

Sheer genius my friend!
Great hack that I will try to adapt to the Strom.
I am genuinely surprised at the results with WD-40.

Sheer genius my friend!
Great hack that I will try to adapt to the Strom.
I am genuinely surprised at the results with WD-40.

Thanks. Just remember the idea is that WD40 cools the chain via evaporation so it requires frequent sprays and copious amounts. So far I like the 50/50 mix of WD40 and ATF in the new gravity feed rig better. A gallon of WD40 should last a good while. ;-)

Back