• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Carl's lessons learned Ft Worth to Lafayette and back.

Having done an 826 mile day on my old CRF450X, this was the key. Stand early and stand often.

How the heck did you cover 800+ miles on a 450X in a single day? That's right at a 60 MPH average for 14 hours. Did that thing have an 8 gallon tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A lot of useful advice so far. I ride a big adventure type bike as well and so far the best improvements I've done are:

1. Real cruise control. I've used throttle locks of different types through the years, and even though they allow you to rest your hand, they don't control your speed. I think the real advantage is to be able to set your speed and relax. You're not continually monitoring and adjusting your speed. I know it doesn't sound like it should make much difference, but over the course of a long day, it's very noticeable. I won't have another street bike with out it.

2. XM satellite radio through my GPS and a set of Etymotic HF5 ear buds. I have no roaring or wind noise, only my favorite tunes. That sure makes the miles fly by.

3. A good helmet that is not susceptible to buffeting. Nothing is more annoying or tiresome than enduring the bobble-head for a long period of time. Even a slight amount of buffeting is annoying.

4. Alaskan leather sheepskin seat cover.

I've done a couple of long days, up to 750 miles, with this setup and along with other techniques recommended in this thread, it was actually an enjoyable ride...

How the heck did you cover 800+ miles on a 450X in a single day? That's right at a 60 MPH average for 14 hours. Did that thing have an 8 gallon tank?

That was a planned endurance ride. I believe they rode for over 21 hours straight. Can't find the RR searching on the phone (Tapatalk not so friendly).

_

On long interstate jaunts I'd look into carrying a hydration bladder in the tank bag instead of on your back. Even a little pack can get irritating after a while. Some of the Klim jackets have a place for a hydration pack built in and, in my experience, this makes things more comfortable than wearing a hydration pack.

Keep your electrolytes replenished too. You don't have to resort to sugary sport drinks for this as a number of companies make tablets designed to be taken with a full glass of water. The ones I use are from Medi-Lyte.

Sour candy helps keep me alert. My next helmet will be modular to facilitate stuffing my face with snacks from a "feed bag" attached to my tank bag on occasion. Chocolate covered coffee beans can fight off headaches for those of us "suffering" from caffeine addiction. My next helmet will also have a chin skirt.

I'm 6'2" and on multiple bikes have found that a Mad Stad bracket or Tobinators with a small screen that's almost vertical works best for me. Before the Tobinators I did what Tourmeister said and removed the wind screen on my 1150gsa. One of those removable extensions ain't a bad idea either.

When searching for buffeting also try removing hand guards and mirrors. The KTM 950SE mirrors and the 1150gsa hand guards make a lot of turbulance.

Above all I've found that being on a bike that's big enough for your body type to move around on and get into multiple positions helps a lot. For example a DL650 is to cramped for my frame after a few hours.

For "cruise control" I use a Catapillar O'Ring that lets me move the throttle but still holds it in place when I take my hand off. It's sorta like having gummed up throttle cables.

I have a sheep skin cover for winter and a bead cover for summer.

MeElectronic M6 Pro in ear monitors are cheap and have a low profile conch shell design that doesn't interfere badly with the padding in tight helmets. They also sound good and block out most noise.

Last edited:
Just to echo what everybody else is saying:

This is what works for me and there is some obvious stuff, but as always take with a grain of salt:

a) Take some advil before you leave and at the next gas stop.
b) Take water with you that you can drink while you ride - either a water bottle or a camelback of some sort - i have one that i strap to the bike and run the hose to the tank bag on a retractable tether.
c)
d) hydrate a lot before you ride - your first stop should be for a bathroom on a "really" long ride, not for gas.

1. Butt soreness - having a good seat that is comfy is pretty helpful... but expensive. *Butt*, Wearing the right pants has just as big of an effect for me.
- wear some spandex bike shorts like LDComforts or just the shorts you see guys riding road bikes in (or tight fitting riding pants) that "hold your butt together"
- this makes a HUGE difference for me. When i ride in my DS pants (which are quite loose) my butt hurts way quicker than if i ride in my adventure pants (which are much tighter fitting) - the more your clothes hold your butt in place for you, the comfier it will be for the long run.

2. Back soreness - Pick 3 posture positions and switch between them regularly - 20 mile intervals. leaned forward, straight up and reclined.
-If you're taking a bag with you, strap it so it can be used as a lower back rest. (if you don't need to take a bag of gear with you - take one anyways and use it as a backrest)
My lower back is my weak point and i have to be mindful of it, so I make it a point to "stretch" while riding (side to side and front to back)
- consider bar risers that will let you relax in a more neutral position.

3. leg/knee soreness - small changes in knee angle can give good results. switch positions from/to balls of the feet, arches and heels on the pegs regularly.
- get a peg lowering kit (or lowered pegs) to increase the knee angle while riding.

4. wind noise and buffeting - this one really depends on the bike and the rider and you need to figure out what works for you and your bike.
- The Vstrom is somewhat noted as having a lot of buffeting - on that bike my solution came from moving the mirrors out about 1.5 inches, changing windshields didnt help.
-On the GSA - i cut the tabs off of the winshield adjusters so I could put it up into a higher position - close enough for me.
- wear earplugs when traveling at high speeds/long distances.

5. Throttle/hand soreness - theres nothing like a cruise control... but I don't have one on the GSA either....
- I use a kaoko throttle lock A LOT on long trips. I only tighten it lightly - down to the point where i don't actually have to apply real pressure for it to hold. This is still loose enough to make minor adjustments (without disengaging the lock) for going up and down hills and completely close the throttle quickly if needed.
Takes a quick bit of practice to get the "feel" for it.

6. Stretching -
- let a foot dangle on either side for 10 miles or so, point your toes, roll your ankles while doing it.
- Stand up A LOT: I can stand for about 20/30 minutes at a time every hour or so
- any other stretching you can think of while enroute.

7. tiredness - always try to get good rest first. Stop if you get tired.

8. Practice - repetition results in improved performance over time.

02ba7688f3aa393e6ab0c3ff96aa50e8.jpg

Last edited:
Cant say much more than what is posted. I ride between Houston and New Orleans a lot! I know the Lafayette area and MSTC well. Sounds like we might be in the same line of work. I can tell you the roads east of Lafayette get worse in that the sections of the roads have moved up to where it feels like a wash board! I ride a 14 Suzuki DL1000 with a Madstad windshield, barkbuster hand guards and a clamp on the throttle for cruise control. I do like a lot have posted and hydrate before I leave and I even mounted a cup holder to hold my Yeti cup with water.
When you ride down to College Station I would recomend from Fort Worth cutting down to Ennis over to Seven Points down to Trinidad. Ride behind Ricland Chambers Resivor to Fairfield down to Teague then to Personville to Jewett to Normangee and finally onto College Station. Lots of twisties in this area and makes for a lot of fun! Good luck

One additional note: train for the ride. Jumping on a bike w/o adequate seat time or if out of shape will take its toll.

Did some checking and it looks like the hotel will have laundry service available. That will cut my gear in half. So, tail bag or panniers for this trip? I am leaning to the tail bag. 40 liter wolfman.

Thank for the route suggestions Jdsmetx. I'll look into that route on the maps.

Looks like rain in the forecast tomorrow and Monday. So Klim gortex is laid out and ready.

Any other suggestions.

I will post up when I get there.

Something I don't think was mentioned and not really possible for everyone, but ride, and ride often gets you ready for longer rides. It's tough to not ride then all of a sudden expect your body to take the beating of a long trip. My 2 cents,

Made it to college station yesterday. The Senic app I was using crashed about 50 miles in. So I swapped over to trusty copilot granted my fun route was wiped but I still got to run on hey 81 and then hey 6.
There were a lot of bike heading north on hey 6.
Anyway I made it before the rain hit and in little to no pain.

SPIRIT FINGERS!!!
no really, just a few seconds of waggling the fingers on top of the levers every 30 minutes or so really helps to prevent the 'grip of death' that so many riders fall prey to on long rides. (especially on interstates) You can maintain grip on the throttle with the web between your thumb and forefinger while doing this so you don't lose any speed control and it restores a proper sense of relaxation to the hand (for me anyway).
I do recall when I began doing this it felt quite strange but now I don't even need to think about it and it does a lot for keeping my hands, arms and shoulders relaxed while making big miles.
As for the rest, the others have covered pretty much everything, and as I think you have already learned & others have said, avoid interstates and similar roads unless you just really HAVE TO make lotsa miles.
Ear plugs, seat covers, music, bar risers, ergo adjustments etc are all very worthwhile and I use all of them, but monitoring your own body is probably the single most important thing a rider can do. Hope you get value from all the great advice here.

Okay, trip to College Station I just brought a single soft tail bag (Wolfman Medium Duffle 40l) and no panniers. The trip down was great and I never noticed the duffle except when I would lean back into it and when I got on or off the bike. Now that I am here and commuting to and from school I miss the panniers since they lock and picking up a 6er on the way to the hotel would be much easier than unrolling and rolling up the Duffle.
Spirit finger, I do something like that I think. Maybe not often enough though. I do know that riding my Mtn bike my gloves had gel and were much more padded in the palms than any of the moto gloves I have found so far. For that matter the impact gloves for power tools at work have more padding in the palm area. Go figure.

Brian,

Is that 1,000 miles in around 14 hours?

Great tips everyone.

RB

Last edited:
Yesterday I rode a Red River loop and the wind was pretty tough.....well at least for me. How do you combat the wind inputs during a turn. I ended up leaning less and was having issues with keeping my line. I slowed way down for the ride when I was getting pushed around even on the straightaways.
Very nice ride with a little gravel road and lots of curves.

Ohhhh yea, I also tried out a pair of motoskivies. Seem to work like bike shorts did on the MTN bike. I did get more time before the dreaded butt sleep.

Ohhhh yea, I also tried out a pair of motoskivies. Seem to work like bike shorts did on the MTN bike. I did get more time before the dreaded butt sleep.
Excellent!
Pants/shorts that help hold your butt "in place" really help me a lot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

Installed a Madstad windscreen today. So far it has been great, 50 to 60 I can roll with the helmet visor up and no problems. Visor down most of the wind noise that I has was from the 15 to 20 mph crosswinds and what was left I think can be taken care of by using the chin curtain. Looks like this will be the winter screen, we will see how it does in the summer...Maybe next week...

Back