• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Candelaria Shootout

Hopefully a mod can link this article or thread to the previous closed thread. Otherwise a shame for that thread to be permanently archived with false facts.
http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112715

First accounts on similar incidents to this are often proven inaccurate once the facts are investigated. I can think of 2-3 major stories in recent years that created uproar but were debunked.

_

Agreed Silverbullet. I can remember several incidents in my career where one or two associates shoot each other over some dispute & by the time the police or EMT get on scene the tall tales of armed robberies & bandits take over. I remember a good one a few years back in San Marcos. Husband & wife police officers shot one another & tried to lie about it.

From the mother of one of the two owners:

The guide heard a noise outside. He and another guide went out to check.
The wife of the hunter is in the RV and sees men with guns and starts screaming believing they are going to be kidnapped. The hunter decides to drive off in the RV to escape. The guide thinks they are being kidnapped so attempts to shoot out the tires on the RV. The hunter fires back hitting the guide.

Anybody besides me old enough to remember the Keystone Cops? This episode has sad ending.

It's a shame events were so blown out of proportion as to what really happened. The ballistics report will provide proof of who was shooting.

I know I don't want to go hunting with either of them.

I updated the thread but left it closed for obvious reasons... I would not want to see the same behavior carried over to this thread.

Thank you Paul Harvey. Lol

Out of curiosity I did go back to the slanted news source link in that thread. It was recently updated due to the LEO's findings.
"...will continue to only believe the people who I know as well as their integrity and honesty, as opposed to the "authorities" who may have skewed or unseen agendas." Familiar tone there, especially with the (" ") 's. Completing ignoring the forensic evidence and discounting forensic science. Meanwhile their gofundme page continues to rise, both goal and donation. Pretty sure first day I looked at it the goal was $10K, now jacked up to $30K as donations surpassed the original and are at $25K. How could anyone's copay and deductible be that high?

_

Shown as Chambers Ranch on Garmin Topo

N30.33986 W104.69413

Yes, I had read somewhere that the Circle Dug had been purchased from the Chambers family. Use Google satellite view to review the compound and note the circle wall and rise behind the building shown in the news report for reference. It seems implausible that anyone would want to steal an RV at this location, spend hours getting back to pavement, more hours getting to a border crossing or a place to hide it from border patrol pilots and the sheriff. Anyway I thought it might be of interest.

Oddly enough, I found it after looking for Capote Falls.

There are a lot of good jeep trails in this area and a number of ranchers who appear to be open to more business than cattle provide. I wonder if anyone has ever contacted any of them for motocamping/riding opportunities.

I find the whole tale of it being a misunderstanding leading to a shoot out implausible. If that had really been the case then why concoct the first crazy story?

Yes, I had read somewhere that the Circle Dug had been purchased from the Chambers family. Use Google satellite view to review the compound and note the circle wall and rise behind the building shown in the news report for reference. It seems implausible that anyone would want to steal an RV at this location, spend hours getting back to pavement, more hours getting to a border crossing or a place to hide it from border patrol pilots and the sheriff. Anyway I thought it might be of interest.

Oddly enough, I found it after looking for Capote Falls.

There are a lot of good jeep trails in this area and a number of ranchers who appear to be open to more business than cattle provide. I wonder if anyone has ever contacted any of them for motocamping/riding opportunities.

I was invited to ride on the Circle Dug Ranch in 2007 by the owner, Harry Miller. On that same trip, I was given phone numbers for
The Coal Mine Ranch and another adjoining ranch to see if they would let us ride thru...

Never got around to calling any of the ranchers, so I have no idea if riding there would be possible.
Harry Miller did mention that seeing Capote Falls was a no go.
We've been up and down Chispa road for 10 years, along with riding the Mexican side of the River between Ojinaga and Fort Hancock.
There are places to get off Chispa road, but locked gates are pretty much the rule out there.

Last edited:
I think Capote Falls is on Bright ranch next door.

We had a Canadian rider in our BMW club who had worked out a route to Big Bend from San Antonio that was not paved. Sadly it was not public either. We had talked about contacting ranchers for permission to ride across their property, but never got around to it either. I'f be willing to pay a fee for a day pass to ride across some of the bigger ranches. Of course that brings other issues with it. The last thing I would do is allow some stranger to ride on my property as small as it is.

its called obama care. my copay for a sprained ankle was $800

All policies have annual caps so my point stands.
I read a couple of the gofundme comments after posting and it was stated he was uninsured. At the very least he should have then immediately signed up for coverage as was still open enrollment period. Then on Feb-1 and after his pre-existing condition/needs would have been fully covered. Could've got a policy with $1,500 annual deductible cap.

_

Back