• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Route Planning

JTS

Reaction score
I am wanting to ride around out in the country side around Wichita Falls and would like to set the route before hand and follow it via my iphone. I know you can use a garmin with base camp to set up routes to follow but I don't have a garmin gps unit for my bike.

Is there a way to do it with google maps or another app on the iphone?

Thanks guys.

I think so. Go to Google Maps Route Planner. I also think there are some step by step instructions on the net, though I've never tried to do it.

I think there are even apps for doing that. I've never tried one though.

Check inRoute for the iPhone.
I have no experience using it, but read in another forum that it was very good . . . .

I use a Garmin, not a phone, for GPS. But you might check Furkot.com. According to their help section, they work with both Iphone and Android. Not Google routing, but I've used it for some long, complex routes and been pleased with the results.

I use osmand for Android to follow pre-made GPS tracks.

I use copilot GPS to plan street rides on the phone itself.

I have also used motion-x when I had an iPhone.

All three apps allow you to download maps so you don't need cell coverage. I don't even have a sim card in the phone I use for GPS.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

Copilot and scenic are 2 that I have, I have had a good many problems with scenic. Copilot has been pretty good so far.
On a iPhone 6s+

STEP 1. I use Google Earth Pro to look at the maps to find and map out the route...

STEP 2. I save the route as a KML or KMZ file.

STEP 3. I log into GPSies.com and convert the file to a GPX file.

STEP 4. I transfer that file to my Galaxy S7 Edge and Garmin Montana 650T.

Now... I use the OSMand+ for android...it works fantastic!! I dare say better than the GARMIN Montana... The user interface is alot easier and there are alot of options...plus it will make a track of your adventure...

I also open the GPX file with the Montana and use it normally.

Back