TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > Story Telling and Tire Kicking > Photography > The Coffee Table

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 02-15-2017, 12:45 AM   #301
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Re: Clouds in my coffee

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCBH View Post
The scars of others should teach us caution

I think I may have left a good scar there... It might be that one in the lower right corner...

Is this on the South end of Cow Creek Road? If so, I slid a LONG WAY after going down at low speed on that crossing back in May of 2016 on the way to Richard's Hill Country dual sport event. While running South toward FM 1431, I hit it at maybe 10mph while straight up and down on my 1200 GS. A few feet after I entered the water the front end just shot right out from under me with very little warning and I went down pretty hard on the right side. I slid for a good 35-40 feet before coming to a stop. I was sliding on my backside, away from the bike and feet first, and got a LOT of water up my pant legs and the back of my jacket! It was... refreshing...

Looking North. I made it through the first two patches of water and the third got me. I left the stuttered white scratches and actually came to rest just to the right of your bike in your picture.

Total Forum Supporter Donations For April: $530.99 - Previous Month: $719.72 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 139 Current Forum Supporters out of 20268 Users (0.69%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas

Last edited by Tourmeister; 02-15-2017 at 12:50 AM.
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 07:54 PM   #302
FCBH
Forum Supporter

Talking Re: Clouds in my coffee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourmeister View Post
I think I may have left a good scar there... It might be that one in the lower right corner...

Is this on the South end of Cow Creek Road? If so, I slid a LONG WAY after going down at low speed on that crossing back in May of 2016 on the way to Richard's Hill Country dual sport event. [/img]
Yep, that is our favorite sitting spot.

The water going over the road is extremely clear. Further the road surface appears just like clean concrete without that greenish tinge associated with algae...however...that is not the case. This section of Cow Creek has claimed so many bikes I can't count on various ride groups.

I can't imagine dumping a Goldwing on it.

I actually have somewhere deep in the bowels of my digital archive a picture of a bicyclist laying on the side of the road with lacerations on his face and blood spattered on the tarmac. He took it at high speed thinking he might get a refreshing splash of cool water on a warm spring day.

The continuing saga of Texas low water crossings.

RB

motorcycleroads.com
FCBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 08:05 PM   #303
FCBH
Forum Supporter

The earth has its music for those who will listen

motorcycleroads.com
Old 02-16-2017, 08:40 PM   #304
FCBH
Forum Supporter

Iron Butt weekend route

motorcycleroads.com
Old 02-16-2017, 08:42 PM   #305
FCBH
Forum Supporter

Inuit death mask

motorcycleroads.com
Old 02-16-2017, 08:44 PM   #306
FCBH
Forum Supporter

German U-boats in New Mexico

motorcycleroads.com

Last edited by FCBH; 02-16-2017 at 08:46 PM.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:49 PM   #307
FCBH
Forum Supporter

The flower which is single need not envy the thorns that are numerous

motorcycleroads.com
Old 02-16-2017, 08:53 PM   #308
FCBH
Forum Supporter

One touch of nature makes the whole world kin

motorcycleroads.com
Old 02-16-2017, 09:04 PM   #309
FCBH
Forum Supporter

The clouds - the only birds that never sleep

motorcycleroads.com
Old 02-16-2017, 10:17 PM   #310
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

There is no real excuse for that particular crossing being so bad. The water could easily be diverted with a culvert under the road. Moreover, they could easily texture the concrete, like with rain grooves, which would go a LONG way toward making that safer. It is so slick it can even be dangerous for cars/trucks.

Total Forum Supporter Donations For April: $530.99 - Previous Month: $719.72 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 139 Current Forum Supporters out of 20268 Users (0.69%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 06:35 PM   #311
FCBH
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourmeister View Post
There is no real excuse for that particular crossing being so bad. The water could easily be diverted with a culvert under the road. Moreover, they could easily texture the concrete, like with rain grooves, which would go a LONG way toward making that safer. It is so slick it can even be dangerous for cars/trucks.
That is a good point about the road condition. They could just install a slippery road section sign...

Cow Creek has gone from several large actual ranches on both sides of the road to a series of private homes. That portion of the road floods due to the proximity of the river that runs parallel to it. Perhaps this dangerous section acts as some type of sport-bike racing deterrence? The locals that live along that route probably don't mind some type of obstacle on the road that discourages heavy use by bikers.

RB

motorcycleroads.com

Last edited by FCBH; 02-17-2017 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Added link
Old 02-21-2017, 06:26 PM   #312
FCBH
Forum Supporter

Fractal tree design

motorcycleroads.com
Old 02-21-2017, 06:29 PM   #313
FCBH
Forum Supporter

Miss Louise

motorcycleroads.com
Old 02-21-2017, 06:34 PM   #314
FCBH
Forum Supporter

Refreshing cascade of icy water

motorcycleroads.com
Old 02-23-2017, 08:24 AM   #315
achesley

Wow! Lake Louise! What memories from my 1st LD ride on my then new '95 R11Gs. solo to the North states and Canada.
Old 02-23-2017, 09:26 PM   #316
FCBH
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by achesley View Post
Wow! Lake Louise! What memories from my 1st LD ride on my then new '95 R11Gs. solo to the North states and Canada.
You probably had a better time than I while in Canada. Two years ago, I experienced heavy smoke from hundreds of fires burning out of control from Montana all the way to eastern Alaska. I turned around early and came home because I was tired of riding in the choking smoke every day.

You will notice a whitish hue in some of my Glacier National Park images. That was the result of the smoke. The only place where I experienced smokeless riding was at Bear Tooth Pass. It happened to be the best road of the entire trip. I could ride that portion of the road from Cooke City Gate to Red Lodge for several days and never get tired of it.

Lake Louise is stunning, however, the Trans-Canada Highway was fun initially but it was mainly straight. I was ready for a change after 400 miles.

The good news is California has received record amounts of rain, so the riding should be awesome for a summer road trip.

RB

motorcycleroads.com
Old 02-23-2017, 09:29 PM   #317
FCBH
Forum Supporter

The Grandeur of Western Civilization

motorcycleroads.com
Old 02-23-2017, 09:34 PM   #318
FCBH
Forum Supporter

And when thou art weary I'll find thee a bed, Of mosses and flowers to pillow thy head.

- John Keats

motorcycleroads.com
Old 02-24-2017, 10:28 PM   #319
Gravel Guy
Forum Supporter

Hey Fred, have I told you lately that I am glad you are here? Well, I am!!

Are you doing what you are doing in the name of love?

Mark
guido calculo
NEast of Weird, Texas
Gravel Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 07:09 PM   #320
FCBH
Forum Supporter

Talking Re: Clouds in my coffee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Guy View Post
Hey Fred, have I told you lately that I am glad you are here? Well, I am!!
Do I know you?

This is Peter Throckmorton.

motorcycleroads.com