TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > General

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 02-14-2017, 10:05 AM   #61
viffer07

Re: Need vs. Want...how do you handle it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan Buchanan View Post
So... I WANT a new bike. More specifically, I want another bike. I don't want to get ride of the bike I have.

I have a 1400 Concours and I love it. I WANT a ZX-6R. I've never owned a small light sport bike, and I think it'd be a hoot and a half.

But. LOL

I haven't ridden as many miles the last two years as I'd like. I feel like I WILL be able to ride a lot more this year than last. But I'd be sorely disappointed in myself if I got it and then rode only as many miles this year as I did last.

How do you go about making the "right" decision for YOU when faced with a dilemma? I'm not asking anyone what *I* should do. LOL I'm just asking for perspectives to help me set my mind. I literally talk myself in and out of it over and over. Yesterday was my birthday and it would have been a terrific birthday present to myself. LOL
there is no dilemma on what to buy if the money was earned through honest legal means. good luck and enjoy the new bike. (instead of a sport bike, i got a DR650)
viffer07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 01:51 PM   #62
sharkey
The Incredible Hulk

The right decision is to always have 2 bikes. I got 3 now but 1 is for sale. The 2 bikes serve different purposes. If your perspective is - need vs want, well you will have a dilemma. Just view it as you need

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-14-2017, 02:37 PM   #63
sharky nrk

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus_flavius View Post
How do I handle it? Poorly. Thats how........
AMEN
Old 02-14-2017, 09:25 PM   #64
viffer07

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkey View Post
The right decision is to always have 2 bikes. I got 3 now but 1 is for sale. The 2 bikes serve different purposes. If your perspective is - need vs want, well you will have a dilemma. Just view it as you need

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yes, i also have three and one is for sale. have had a few calls but so far, no one has bought it. I guess I'm lucky huh?
viffer07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 08:10 AM   #65
Rdslvr04

I want what I need
And need what I want

Guess that's how I ended up with 6 bikes in the garage
Old 02-15-2017, 04:21 PM   #66
Morgan Buchanan
Forum Supporter

Well it's been a fun year with the Ninja. I ride it a few less days than I'd prefer because it's harder to carry stuff, and I have stuff to carry more often than I'd prefer. LOL

But I love it, fantastic bike. My wife tried to talk me into getting rid of the Concours and just getting the ZX14...which would be an awesome bike, but I'd still have that "carrying stuff" issue that I never have with the Connie.

I do like my greatly upgraded memory foam and gel seat.

Morgan Buchanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 03:31 PM   #67
Bines

I'm wrestling with it now. I want a sport or sporty bike, like a 600-750. A plated dirt bike, like a KLR or DRZ. A bare bones cruiser type bike, like an S40 or 883. And one of these. And one of those. And... Yeah. But I'm really wanting an S40, right now. I dunno. I've just been wanting a thumper for years, just not as my only bike. The S40 only makes around 41 horsepower, and it's kind of small overall.

Thing is, I don't want to pay for a second bike. We have no vehicle payments right now. That's nice. I don't want to see our savings number go any direction but up. My truck has 279,000 miles, the AC is out, the back sliding glass is plexi, the headliner is gone, the CD player broke, and sometimes it makes a funny noise. So, pretty much its well broke in at this point. But how long before it's just broke? Second bike money would make a good down payment or more on the next truck. Then there was the S10 debacle. I just got rid of that albatross.

Meh. N+1.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:21 AM   #68
LowRyter

I'm kinda Jonesing for the new Duc 939 SS.

I am almost over it for a Tuono V4, California 1400T and 1200RT.

Almost.

Maybe I'll almost get over the Duc?
2001 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport, candy greenie

Aware of Russia Being Made Great Again since 20 Jan 17!

Last edited by LowRyter; 02-17-2017 at 09:22 AM.
LowRyter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 07:35 PM   #69
Rdslvr04

Just wanted to scratch a need
So went out today on one of those pesky needless "road racing machine"
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0534.jpg   IMG_0533.jpg  
Old 02-18-2017, 05:51 PM   #70
JacknTexas

I always compared it to having bikes like my buddies had guns for varied purposes. Each a tool for a specific type of riding.

I had as many as 5 inexpensive bikes at once, much happier with only one. Too much keeping up with all of 'em.

I also find I can do other things and not feel guilty about not riding in my free time.

Bottom line for me, if it's not blessing you, but stressing you, it's time to thin the herd. Or another way is just keep buying until it's not fun to keep em up and running.

The best Rx is repeat as needed.
JacknTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 11:33 PM   #71
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacknTexas View Post
Bottom line for me, if it's not blessing you, but stressing you, it's time to thin the herd. Or another way is just keep buying until it's not fun to keep em up and running.
That right there is it for me

Two, maybe three is my limit for maintaining my own bikes. Right now I have four additional bikes to maintain for the kids. They don't ride as much so it is not a big deal doing their bikes. Of course, they are ALL due for some TLC right now.

Total Forum Supporter Donations For October: $323.43 - Previous Month: $685.11 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 128 Current Forum Supporters out of 20679 Users (0.62%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 12:02 AM   #72
prhaussies

Motorcycles are exempt from hoarding regulations, along with many other fun toys. Just don't start stacking magazines and newspapers!
(S)He who dies with the most toys wins! I doubt I'll lead the pack but I will never let that stand in my way. rh
prhaussies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 09:13 AM   #73
SpiritAtBay
Forum Supporter

"want vs need" indeed.

Most of the time, I still can't believe I've added a THIRD motorcycle... for me, single, no dependents...it came down to the realization that my years of enjoying this sport/addiction/lifestyle are limited.

Although some folks I've met through TWT are testament that I might have longer to ride than one might think!

I decided to enjoy riding as much as possible, as long as possible.

gina

'09 Suzi DL650 (Quite possibly the best bike for me)
'00 Yami TTR250m (Dirty Sally)
'12 KTM 690 Enduro (O Orange One/ "3 Oh")

"Due to circumstances beyond my control,
I am master of my fate and captain of my soul."

Hemingway's Invictus, with a modern twist

"There's lots of things along the road
I'd surely like to see
I'd like to lean into the wind
And tell myself I'm free"

Townes Van Zandt
SpiritAtBay is online now   Reply With Quote