TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > General

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 03-31-2016, 02:57 PM   #1
Morgan Buchanan
Forum Supporter

Need vs. Want...how do you handle it?

So... I WANT a new bike. More specifically, I want another bike. I don't want to get ride of the bike I have.

I have a 1400 Concours and I love it. I WANT a ZX-6R. I've never owned a small light sport bike, and I think it'd be a hoot and a half.

But. LOL

I haven't ridden as many miles the last two years as I'd like. I feel like I WILL be able to ride a lot more this year than last. But I'd be sorely disappointed in myself if I got it and then rode only as many miles this year as I did last.

How do you go about making the "right" decision for YOU when faced with a dilemma? I'm not asking anyone what *I* should do. LOL I'm just asking for perspectives to help me set my mind. I literally talk myself in and out of it over and over. Yesterday was my birthday and it would have been a terrific birthday present to myself. LOL
Morgan Buchanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 03:11 PM   #2
gixxerjasen

Re: Need vs. Want...how do you handle it?

Odd. This is a timely conversation. I just paid off my FJR and am now looking for a sportbike to put next to it in the garage. I've owned one before and cannot wait to get back out on the track and in the twisty bits. My FJR satisfies all my motorcycling NEEDS and some of my wants, but is lacking for some of the wants.

As I'm working on hammering out a deal, I guess you can figure out which way I'm going in relation to your question.

Looking forward to seeing how your decision turns out. In the end, you need to be responsible, but also acknowledge that the years you have left to ride fast motorcycles are limited, so get out and have fun!
gixxerjasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 03:22 PM   #3
Rainmaker

I hear once you buy the 2nd one the 3rd one's a lot easier.

Four Bikers and a Monkey

http://www.pearlsnapsandpermafrost.b...s-sparked.html

I want to stay as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all kinds of things you can't see from the center. -Kurt Vonnegut
Rainmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 03:51 PM   #4
Morgan Buchanan
Forum Supporter

I've had more than one at a time, which is part of why I tapped the brakes on buying a second one this time around. The last time I had 2, I rode one of them 500 miles in a year. LOL
Old 03-31-2016, 03:58 PM   #5
camper

I actually went through this a few weeks ago. It all started 3 months prior. I've been back and forth with myself on whether I really NEEDED to buy the new bike. My current one was paid for and I didn't want to have 6 months of payments on another bike.

The sensible side of me was strong, because I didn't NEED a new bike. My current bike was satisfying most of my moto wants. But, but but...

I kept looking at bikes on and off during the three months. I knew what I waned - a DL650 with low mileage and no more than 4 years old. So I worked a few deals and kept walking away because the deals just weren't good enough to overpower my sensible sight.

Then one day I walked into Action Kawasaki in Mesquite, knowing they had a 2012 DL650 adventure with 3k miles on the floor. Unlike other DLs I walked away from, this was love at first sit.

The bike spoke to me. It wouldn't have been enough to convince my sensible side, but I got a great deal on it took it home same day.

No regrets. I'm happy and that's all that matters. Life is unpredictable so I might as well enjoy it now.
Old 03-31-2016, 04:12 PM   #6
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

If you are paying all your regular bills and meeting your responsibilities, what comes after that is just personal preference. Need is rarely an objective standard. You just have to consider the other things YOU might wish to do with the money versus getting a bike. The problems start when you let other things go so you can buy the bike and those things start to come back to bite you. I mean let's face it, most of us don't REALLY need a bike. We simply have one (or more) because we can and we enjoy it.

Total Forum Supporter Donations For October: $323.43 - Previous Month: $685.11 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 128 Current Forum Supporters out of 20679 Users (0.62%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 04:28 PM   #7
Ghost Rider

There were times when I had more than one bike in the garage, these days I just keep them one at a time... for now. I regularly commute 16,800 miles in eleven months, and that has a great influence on need versus want. For me I traded the 2011 Ninja 1K for a 2015 Versys LT because the need and want were closely overlapped. The "delta" or cost between the two was minimal at $25.00 more per month. I believe I'll make up that saving with better fuel mileage. Ultimately, the lure of a more comfortable seating position for the 45+ minute commute each way was always in the back of my mind. To add ABS and Traction Control was a bonus. When I learned that hard bags for the 2011 were no longer available, it sealed the deal to move to another bike.

The need/want equation was also tipped because I envisioned even more time in the saddle. Time will tell if I made a smart decision.

Three people can keep a secret, if two of them are dead.
Ghost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 04:58 PM   #8
Meriden

Years ago there was the Barn Find of the Gods. '26 Indian and three newer, a handful of Harley flatheads, a post war Zundap, another handful of Brit iron and more 70s-90s UJMs than could be cataloged. I wanted it all, but with two projects in the garage, passed on all. Eventually I ended up with an RD400 Daytona for my trouble that is still in the way in my barn.

My primary transportation is a bike, but for most it is nothing but a toy and that is just a want. To add to Tourmeister's point, if you have enough money on hand to sock away the price of the bike into a retirement account AND buy the bike, then do both.

Y'all go ahead. I'll catch up to you at the crash site.
Avatar: Jawbone Canyon Store by Rman
Meriden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 06:11 PM   #9
rickmillertx

As I have gotten older and the acceptance that riding and living will come to an end, my priorities have changed. I am a lot more likely to buy what I want and enjoy it while I can.

Former AMA Member
http://www.fredericky.com/mybike.htm
rickmillertx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 06:25 PM   #10
cheez

I let the budget handle it, and don't finance toys. It's a self-limiting situation until I make my millions, at which time we'll have to revisit the strategy.
2003 Honda VTX1800R (Punkin II- riding the darkside)
2002 Honda VTX1800R (Poor Punkin got smashed by an inattentive kid)

IBA # 57764 || Patriot Guard Rider || Thursday Night Irregular
cheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 06:33 PM   #11
gixxerjasen

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez View Post
I let the budget handle it, and don't finance toys. It's a self-limiting situation until I make my millions, at which time we'll have to revisit the strategy.
I went that route for a while. Came up with a genius plan to get the FJR. It required some wheeling and dealing with the wife though.

She's had surgery and we had to put a bunch of that on credit and were paying it off, but the CC interest rate was pretty high and kicking our butts. I bought the FJR on credit through my bank with a low interest rate loan, then sold my old bike and took the cash from that sale and paid off the expensive credit card situation. Thus, I upgraded my bike while moving high interest debt to low interest debt.

I could have straight up sold the old bike and paid the CC's for sure, but I'd have been bikeless for a while and that's my primary transportation, so this worked out and now it's paid for.
gixxerjasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 06:42 PM   #12
Rsquared
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmillertx View Post
As I have gotten older and the acceptance that riding and living will come to an end, my priorities have changed. I am a lot more likely to buy what I want and enjoy it while I can.
Exactly...
Old 03-31-2016, 06:57 PM   #13
Morgan Buchanan
Forum Supporter

It's not REALLY about the money...it's the power-to-weight ratio. LOL If I WANTED it badly enough I can afford the bike and never ride it. LOL But that isn't any fun. When I sold my VTX, it was like "Well, paying insurance, I spent 60 cents a mile on that bike that year. That's stupid."
Old 03-31-2016, 07:03 PM   #14
charrito

Well....I'm up to 3, so maybe I'm the wron person to ask!

Sent from my SM-G900H using Tapatalk
The views and opinions expressed in any of my posts do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of this forum or anyone associated with it. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental. Sometimes.
----------------------------------
IBA #57800
2011 Triumph Tiger 800 (1,467 - ?)
2006 Yamaha TTR250
2007 Suzuki Boulevard M50 - 28'855 miles
Spotwalla -- InstaCharrito
charrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 08:37 PM   #15
budzrex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
I hear once you buy the 2nd one the 3rd one's a lot easier.
It leads to trouble, I have 3 and am thinking on number 4 as a matter of fact i made a first right of refusal offer on it tonight
1992 RM250
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T
2005 Dodge Ram

The best times in life are often behind bars
just pick horizontal ones
budzrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 09:00 PM   #16
JMZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by budzrex View Post
It leads to trouble, I have 3 and am thinking on number 4 as a matter of fact i made a first right of refusal offer on it tonight
I'm betting it's a street bike ???

Signatures? We don't need no stinking signatures!

XR650R

2000 KTM 380 EXC PLATED
1977 Honda Trail CT 125
JMZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 09:02 PM   #17
kurt
Administrator

Yes.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 09:09 PM   #18
budzrex

[quote=JMZ;1424543]I'm betting it's a street bike ???

Yes something rather sporting even though i really want a
newer dirt bike instead (something more modern than the 92) but it was one of those I lusted after
when it came out bikes and it is a great bike at a great price
1992 RM250
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T
2005 Dodge Ram

The best times in life are often behind bars
just pick horizontal ones

Last edited by budzrex; 03-31-2016 at 09:10 PM.
budzrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 10:22 PM   #19
dandeldesierto

Life is short, so, so short....
dandeldesierto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 10:35 PM   #20
StrokedNBored
Forum Supporter

'12 GSA, '16 TE300, '07 450X, '09 690R
IBA #56441
BunBurner1500 || 48 States in 10 days ||Austin to the Arctic
"Sanity is a relative term... and my relatives haven't accused me of having any lately."
StrokedNBored is offline   Reply With Quote