• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Review: MotoGP Nitrous gauntlet gloves

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Hare
Brand: MotoGP
Model: Nitrous
MSRP: $119.99
Distributor: Tucker Rocky
Price Paid: $87.96 shipped from MotorcycleCloseouts.com

2006-10-30015.jpg

2006-10-30012.jpg

Protection:
Carbon fiber protection is located on the outside wrist of each glove, as well as smaller studs on the second and third knuckles of the index, middle, and ring fingers.The thumb has padded studs rather than carbon fiber, and the pink has nothing. There is also a two-piece carbon fiber knuckle protector for the 1st knuckles on the back of the hand.

2006-10-30016.jpg

2006-10-30014.jpg

2006-10-30013.jpg

The palm is a two panel design, which means that there are less seams to fail in the event of a crash. All the things that are on the palm are sewn over these two main panels, which eliminates the "patchwork quilt" type gloves which have a much higher chance of failing.

There is padding reinforcing the base of the palm underneath a second layer of leather, as well has padding along the gauntlet's length.

2006-10-30018.jpg

According to the manufacturer, these gloves are made of "the finest Nappa leather." A little research turned up that Nappa leather is made from unsplit sheepskin, lambskin, or kidskin. To me, the leather feels very soft and supple, easy to move and flex. This will become even more true when I get a chance to break these gloves in.

Comfort:
External seams along the fingers. This means that when the fingers are sewn together the panels of leather are sewn together outside of the glove, making the inside (where your fingers are) smooth and protrusion free.

2006-10-30017.jpg

Venting along the insides of the fingers allows cool air to effectively make its way into the glove. From my own experiences, this is one of the most effective ways to vent a glove.

2006-10-30022.jpg

2006-10-30023.jpg

Rubberized matierial along the palm and thumb allows for a better grip on the controls, as rubber to rubber has a far greater coefficient of friction than leather on rubber. This feature should make for no-slip throttle gripping. I do not know how long this material would last under real world conditions.

Stretch panel on the back of the palm allows for easy movement of fingers, as it isn't stretching the leather.

2006-10-30021.jpg

2006-10-30020.jpg

Secure straps:
The gauntlet has a dual-closure system, thus ensuring a much tigher fit than the typical single strap gauntlets.
The main wrist strap has excellent adjustment range, and can even be cinched down tight enough to fully enclose my 6.5" diameter wrist with adjustment room left over. The manufacturer did an excellent job in providing enough "loop" side for the "hook" strap to stick to.

The wrist cinch strap is covered by a leather flap similar to Alpinestars SP-1 and higher end gauntlet gloves. This prevents the cinch strap from coming undone in the event of a slide.

2006-10-30019.jpg

Overall Opinion:
My main concern when buying gloves was finding something that fit my skinny wrist (6.5" around, as noted above). There was not much information on these gloves anywhere that i could find on the internet. No reviews, only limited mention in various forums and only as a "hey have you checked these out" type situation.

The fingers are slightly big, but they still manage to snug up to my long and skinny fingers surprisingly well. I intended to wear liners with these at times, so I couldn't have fingers that were too tight.

The guantlet has plenty of room to fit all sorts of jackets inside, and the double closure strap facilitates a tight fit no matter what.

And to be honest, I really like the white. It looks awesome, I think.

For $90, I think they are a fantastic deal. You can find them pretty regularly for $100 at various other online retailers as well, but I was lucky enough to find them for cheap; that's good for my poor college student budget.

If you have any questions or would like specific detail shots, please let me know. This is only my initial review as I haven't even gotten to road test these at all yet. I'll update and add more stuff as time goes on, hopefully giving some more information on these.

Nice writeup. Looking at these brought home to me just how little protection my existing gloves provide. If you continue to like these after you're worn them a while I would certainly consider ordering a pair too.

Good review. I wonder how that soft rubber in the palm area will last through a few hot Texas summers and I hope you never have to test the abrasion resistance on pavement. One of the first things you subconciously do when crashing is put your hands down to break your fall. Don't ask me how I know this.

jetblue said:
Good review. I wonder how that soft rubber in the palm area will last through a few hot Texas summers and I hope you never have to test the abrasion resistance on pavement. One of the first things you subconciously do when crashing is put your hands down to break your fall. Don't ask me how I know this.

Trust me, I know this too.

The rubber stuff is actually sewn over the two main leather panels that make up the palm, so even if it does wear off there is still a hefty layer of leather underneath.

After an incident I had in April of '05, I only wear gloves made entirely of leather, especially between the fingers.

Stook said:
Nice writeup. Looking at these brought home to me just how little protection my existing gloves provide. If you continue to like these after you're worn them a while I would certainly consider ordering a pair too.

I'll definitely let you know. These are actually my track/winter/rain gloves. While they aren't waterproof, I have rubber overgloves that will keep off the wet. My summer gloves are actually a pair of Alpinestars Octane S-Moto short cuff gloves. While they aren't as protective as these, there is a bit of practicality I can afford with short cuff glove during the summer, especially for commuting and whatnot.

Great review, good enough for me to order a pair as well as a pair of Hein Gericke Maddox boots.
I wore them for the first time today, they are fantastic and will be better after they are both broken in a bit more.

Thanks for the review.

4734 said:
Great review, good enough for me to order a pair as well as a pair of Hein Gericke Maddox boots.
I wore them for the first time today, they are fantastic and will be better after they are both broken in a bit more.

Thanks for the review.

Glad I could be of assistance. I haven't had a chance to wear mine on a bike yet, as I just got my bike back a few days ago and it's been fairly warm here.

I got size L and they are pretty tight. I'm hoping that they break in and loosen up a bit.

4734 said:
I got size L and they are pretty tight. I'm hoping that they break in and loosen up a bit.

I don't see any reason why they wouldn't. My Alpinestars gloves were pretty tight on my hands when I first got them, but now they are extremely comfortable after a few hundred miles. These gloves are a bit bigger than the A* gloves, but not by much. The biggest difference is in the finger width. These are just a tinge bigger than my A* ones, but they are also gauntlet gloves and cut differently.

I know I'm resurrecting a really really old thread, but I have a pair of these gloves, and they just developed a hole in the palm. I got them basically brand new from a guy on here around 2006 or 2007. They've held up amazingly well, and I'm really sad that I have to replace them.

Back