• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Ninja 500, blown head, bars leak

ke5awf

Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Beucler
Well my Ninja 500 blew the head gasket :doh: Luckily I had my dads Honda Shadow VTX1100 to ride for a while. While I was deciding what to do about the 500/looking up how annoying it was to tear down my DOHC engine.

I decided what the **** I will give the BARS head gasket leak stop a try. I look on a lot of forums and pretty much no one gave a review on it. REALLY ANNOYING! They all said dont do it, tear down the bike and fix it. Well no duh, however I was looking for a quick "patch" for now, and no one would give a straight answer.

I am here to tell you that it does work! I put the stuff in and I had to hold open the throttle for 20 minutes, but the bike holds idle/compression, and is running good again.

Yes I need to tear down the bike and repair it, although I doubt I will, hoping to get into a new zx-6r soon. Still, I just wanted to let people know the stuff does work, despite no information online. I added only 1/4" the bottle into my radiator tank, then ran the bike for 20 minutes so it was heated up and got the "goo" into everything. Than I let it sit over night. I repeated the next day and then took it for a spin the following day. :rider:

I've seen 4x4's use egg in a pinch. The only warning I'll give though is if it can clog the leak, it can clog other things too causing a bigger problem. I'd only use something like that to get out of a remote area to a local town, then fix it there.

Sent by my NSA monitored Verizon Galaxy Nexus.

I used something similar in my GL1100. Works, but it's not a long term fix.
May as well do the work on your EX500 as the value has dropped a lot, at least to me, with a temp-fixed head gasket.

It's pretty simple to pull the head on most parallel twins I've worked on. You might not even need to remove the engine from the frame.

I'm glad the temp solution got you back on the road, but I hope you're not planning to sell the bike on without fixing it properly.

im hoping to hand it off to a dealership as a trade-in, and yes they know it has a blown head-gasket.

Back