• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Need Help!!

Reaction score
Hi im moving from the UK to Fortworth Texas and im going to be 16 when i move out just wondering if anyone could help me!
I just wanted to know some good starter bikes, Ive heard the Kawasaki ninja 250r is a good place to start!!
Thanks

The Ninja is an excellent choice. Many of the 500cc and under bikes will fill the bill. The first step will be the Basic Rider's Course required to obtain your license. BTW, welcome!

My class in San Antonio had a Ninja 250 to learn on ,maybe you can call around and find one in Ft Worth.

The Ninja is an excellent choice. Many of the 500cc and under bikes will fill the bill. The first step will be the Basic Rider's Course required to obtain your license. BTW, welcome!

just a quick question how many courses and tests do i need to do to get my licence?
Thanks

just a quick question how many courses and tests do i need to do to get my licence?
Thanks

It is a two day course, they supply bike and helmet if you do not have one.
Go to link up there and read what else is required.

Passing the course will allow you to not have to take the on road driving test.
You will just need to take the written test at TDPS. Don't remember number of questions on it.

Most of the questions are answered in the class, you just have to pay attention. Still get the TDPS driver's handbook and read it.

One Basic Rider Course (a two day course) and a written exam at DPS.

Welcome to TWT. Lots of friendly folks here.

As to your question, we get that a lot (what should I buy?), and the usual answer is "it depends." In your case, given your age and that you're probably just starting out on driving of all types, the answer is pretty easy - get something small. 250-300cc is right in the pocket where you want to be. The Ninja 250 is a good starter bike. Honda has a few in that range. I believe Suzuki does. Not sure about Yamaha. The size range limits your choice greatly. I think basic question you'll need to answer is -- do you want a street bike, or a street-legal dirt bike? That depends on you.

So are you English and immigrating, or are you perhaps a military brat rotating home?

Yeah definitely take the MSF class to forego the ride portion of the license test. We don't have the tier system of licensing like the UK does (unless something changed with DPS) that I don't know about.
I would suggest a 500 and I don't know what your price range is. Lots of stuff to choose from but sadly less than what you'll have as options in the UK.

Cowtown is great though. Come join us one Tue. Night.

Welcome..
All new riders in Texas that do not come here with a Motorcycle endorsement on their drivers licence are required to attend and pass the Basic Riders course.
The BRC is a 15 hour program.. 5 classroom hours, 10 on bike range hours. You can find the course done over 2 or 3 days depending on where you sign up to take it.
You can finding training locations HERE
The course is about $215 give or take.

The course is BASIC only, you should be able to ride and balance a two wheel bicycle before attempt to take the course.. and the BRC does not prepare you to PASS the written test at DPS.

To get a class M endorsement you should study the Motorcycle Operators Manual
found HERE

If you're not planning on a car Class C driver's license or learners permit before you go for the Motorcycle endorsement.. you will need to study the vehicle operator's handbook http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/DriverLicense/documents/DL-7.pdf
as well,,, as you'll need to take that basic portion of the test.

And for those UNDER 18, Texas does have a graduated licence program
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/DriverLicense/gdl.htm
But it's kind of weird for motorcycles

Last edited:
I second what everyone else has said, take the MSF class first thing and then study study study for the test. Like posted above, the class does not give you adequate instruction to pass the written test.

Also consider this a pre-welcome to the DFW metroplex. While it is a huge metro mess, there are lots of good reasons to want to live somewhat near it. Let us know when you get here and we can all meet up.

Yes, take the MSF class first and get your endorsement. Then look around at bikes.

I recommend the Suzuki TU250X as a great starter bike, but then again I am a little biased. I've been riding one daily for the past 2.5 years... :rider:

Of Note.. many MSF Basic Course providers require the student to have a Drivers Licence or learner's permit for all age groups

That is not technically required by MSF, but seems to be the common rule for Texas BRC providers.
For a minor it IS a requirement
"all first time class M applicants; 15 - 17 year olds must show proof of permit or license"

So for a 16 year old coming to Texas looking to get a Motorcycle only license, or a M endorsement on a Class C license.. either way, that 16 year old MUST have a learner's permit or licence FIRST .. So that really is the first step...

Take a DL class (in school, or private paid course, classroom portion only if you only plan on getting a Motorcycle license, no vehicle one. ) , get a learners permit or DL, then take the BRC and get a M endorsement.

Last edited:
Welcome to TWT! :wave:

Good luck with the move.

It is a two day course, they supply bike and helmet if you do not have one.
Go to link up there and read what else is required.

Passing the course will allow you to not have to take the on road driving test.
You will just need to take the written test at TDPS. Don't remember number of questions on it.

Most of the questions are answered in the class, you just have to pay attention. Still get the TDPS driver's handbook and read it.

Just a minor correction. At 16 years old, you will have to take the road course even though you passed the MSF course. If you are 18 or older, you will not have to take the road portion of the MC test as long as you passed the MSF course.

Just a minor correction. At 16 years old, you will have to take the road course even though you passed the MSF course.
Unless only applying for motorcycle license learners permit (J Restriction)
Motorcycle Riding Test
Individuals must take the motorcycle riding test unless the individual is:

Applying for a motorcycle learner license (J restriction—see “Class M Restrictions” section below);

If you are 18 or older, you will not have to take the road portion of the MC test as long as you passed the MSF course.
And since ALL new motorcycle riders regardless of age have to take a BRC course now....... All new riders 18 and over are basically exempt from the road ride test
"To obtain a Class M driver license, individuals are required to take a DPS-approved motorcycle safety course. When applying for a Class M, please bring the certificate of completion to the driver license office."

Motorcycle Riding Test
Individuals must take the motorcycle riding test unless the individual is:
18 years of age or older, has completed a motorcycle safety course and holds a valid, unrestricted Texas Class A, B or C driver license;"

Last edited:
Back