TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > General

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 05-17-2018, 08:00 AM   #21
JTS

Re: GPS - Dedicated Unit or Smartphone App?

Subscribed also, Ill be traveling down to Santiago Chile in February. I am renting a bike to explore the area for a couple days and not sure what to do about GPS.
JTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 08:01 AM   #22
Jampad

I agree copb8... My experience (I admit isnít a lot) is that GPS devices are frustrating. And, we all carry phones with us everywhere and if it has the same features and even better than GPS units in many cases (screen size, zoom ability, speed, etc) why not use it.. I disagree that they are not durable enough. One issue that can be an issue is the overheating..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 KLR650
Jampad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 08:39 AM   #23
ricks77eb

Have used the Garmin 660 for years, keep the rerouting function turned off, and still building my routes in Mapsource on a 10 year old laptop. Never seem to have any problems.

Any bike is like a mistress, keep her serviced regularly and buy her bling, and she'll let you ride her until your knees buckle.

'12 Yamaha Super Tenere
'14 KTM 690 Enduro R
'08 Yamaha WR250XR (moved right down the street)
'89 Yamaha TW-200 (moved in with a friend in Santa Fe, TX)
'07 KTM 525 EXC (Now residing in Austin)
'08 Kawasaki KLR-650 (Sold and moved to Fort Worth)
ricks77eb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 03:07 PM   #24
EnduroRdr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Skies View Post
Me? I use a dedicated GPS. Weather proof and ruggedized for the ride. When I need my phone, want do what I can to make sure it works when I need it.

Agreed: same here!

04 TTR125
84 XR350R (loaner)
82 CX500 - DualSport
2006 TW200 & couple ATVs (need bigger garage!)
EnduroRdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 03:13 PM   #25
pub610

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaissos View Post
Anyone else tried Tyre? I've downloaded it, and messed around a bit, but haven't really tried too much.
I used Tyre to create a multi-day .GPX loop up through Canada and back a few years ago. It's been a couple of years so it may be better, but at the time it didn't import Garmin waypoints cleanly. I think it works best with TomTom.
'07 FJR -- adopted by a nice family in Boston.
'05 FJR 1300 (the Secretariat of the sport touring world -- except for the hair and the hooves and ...) gone
'99 Concours "Bugly" (We'll still love her, but we'll miss her)
'05 VStar Silverado (gone, but not forgotten)

Last edited by pub610; 05-17-2018 at 03:18 PM.
pub610 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 06:22 PM   #26
texxter

I will never pay Garmin again for anything. Lousy firmware and software, expensive, not integrated with anything. I don't know about iPhones but my Samsung is ruggedized and tough. I have dropped it dozens of times (in its case) and it keeps working fine and without cracks. After spending too much on unreliable Garmin units, I am very happy with my Galaxy S7 both on road and off road

Last edited by texxter; 05-17-2018 at 06:24 PM.
texxter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 09:06 PM   #27
bwdmax
Forum Supporter

I have been a Garmin user for about 20years. I have had my share of frustration with their hardware, firmware and software. They have always helped me with the issues, several times I had to escalate my issue to get resolution.

There Is something about the interface of their products that works for me. I have used handhelds, auto, marine, and aviation units and for the most part intuitively can use them. I did struggle with basecamp at first creating tracks but, worked through that with some help. I donít like how maps work between basecamp and the units. I have tried a couple apps on my phone and struggled to get them to work. I have been reading on here about using some different maps. I have also been reading on advrider about phone options. To be honest I donít know where Iíll go next. I may get a used phone and make it a dedicated GPS just to see if I can figure out all the file manipulation and make it work. I would likely run it side by side with my Garmin just to compare.

Gary
525 EXC & 650 V-Strom (mine)
CRF150F (family) CRF110F (Daughter)
Foreman 450 (family) TRX250R (could be yours)
XR250R (Son)

http://www.matamoroschildrenshome.org/
bwdmax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 07:37 AM   #28
SilverBullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dao View Post
The s6 edge I'm using is bomb proof and waterproof...
My S5 Sport has been bar mounted for 4 years. Ridden in rain, 120į heat, single track, etc. all w/o issue. My plastic connector port cover did break off so now it's only waterproof if I keep it plugged into power.

_
2002 KTM 300 EXC
1974 Suzuki TM400
SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 07:42 AM   #29
t-cab12

Does anyone have much experience with the updated Harley ride planning? I think they have an ap now? I wonder if you can save your routes online and pull them up on the ap...?

t-cab12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 07:01 AM   #30
chaissos

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-cab12 View Post
Does anyone have much experience with the updated Harley ride planning? I think they have an ap now? I wonder if you can save your routes online and pull them up on the ap...?
Sure, sure, but it'll insert stops at every dealer along the way...

Dead or Gone: 2010 Honda ST1300, 1975 Yamaha XS500,1986 Honda VF500FII, 1982 Yamaha XZ550 Vision, 1978 Honda CB250N,1974 Yamaha RD350, 1972 Yamaha DS7, More I can't even remember
chaissos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 07:32 AM   #31
jfink
Forum Supporter

For me, it isn't the software/firmware/hardware comparison, it is what I know and what I will have to learn. I don't want to invest a lot of time in learning a completely new system of developing, storing, uploading, modifying and using maps, only to find out it has the same or other limitations as the system I am currently using (Garmin). I am as frustrated as anyone that Garmin develops systems that don't even work together (Basecamp/Zumo), but my limited experience with other systems (Google/Android, a couple of windows apps) is they have their own limitations.

My Windows phone allowed me to download maps for offline use as large as the SD card could hold, but had only a few klugy apps that worked with it. My Android/Google phone asks me for a "box" that is only about ten miles square to download for offline use. It doesn't take long to use that up.

I also found that because of the volume of Garmin devices in the market other entities such as OSM develops interfaces to work with Garmin. That's a big plus.

Finally, I am not sure I trust my electronics to attempt a single point of failure. With a phone doing everything, should it fail, get lost or stolen, everything is gone. Mapping, Phone, Text, email, etc. I guess I could carry a second phone, but then why not carry a GPS. Until something comes along, and takes the consumer market by storm, I am pretty much a stuck in the mud, complaining about Garmin's overall system approach.

'04 Goldwing (ich bin eine Deutschlander) (US States and Canadian Provinces)
'11 KTM 990 Dakar (all 23 countries in South, Central and North America)
'14 KTM 500 Exc
'14 BMW GTL Exclusive
'17 KTM Super Duke GT

Where I have ridden
jfink is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 08:18 AM   #32
tshelfer

There's no perfect answer to your question. Personally, I use a GPS - a Garmin Nuvi. You'll find advantages/disadvantages either way. I just got back from a long wanderfest across some desolate parts of west Texas, NM, and AZ. I had both my Garmin and my Galaxy phone (Google Maps open) on my handlebar. Every time I lost cell service, I got a popup message warning me. Yeah, the map still worked, but that stupid message was blocking it. And since Galaxy phones aren't touch sensitive through gloves, I couldn't clear the message without stopping the bike and removing a glove. Also, if something happened while you were out in the middle of nowhere and you had to start a new map, even a preloaded one, my understanding is it wouldn't work because the phone wouldn't be able to figure out your starting place - somebody else will have to comment on whether this is accurate.

Also, if you're prone to occasionally searching out something while riding - i.e. wanting to poke a button to see where the next gas station is - the Garmin is the way to go. Even though they're made for cars, Nuvis work quite well with motorcycle gloves on.

And frankly, if I were going to be in REAL back country - away from roads, I'd trust neither a Nuvi nor a phone. I'd have my trusty old Garmin 76CSX backpacker GPS with me, with topo maps of the entire western United States loaded on. Heck, when you're on a bike, you can always find room for an appliance that size in a bag somewhere, and the weight is inconsequential - a few ounces.

Ultimately, we can only tell you what works best for each of us. Now you get to go experiment and find out what's best for you.

'05 red VStrom - sold
'79 Honda CB650 - sold
'75 Honda CB400F Super Sport - sold
'74 Suzuki TS185 enduro - liberated by a needy soul
'72 Yamaha RT3 enduro - sold
tshelfer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 02:50 PM   #33
88millimeter

Another vote for iphone app. I use Gaia GPS (~$20) and MAP Plus (free). The free app MAP Plus works great. Create a route on desktop using Google maps, email the kmz file to your phone, open with app, download enough of the ďmapĒ to cover your route, done. Easy.
88millimeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 04:13 PM   #34
Jampad

Scenic is really looking very promising and basically free.. I have downloaded Texas and all surrounding state maps for free.. Now, exploring Furkot for trip planning.. This software seems very easy so far to create trip..

2014 KLR650
Jampad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 08:22 AM   #35
copb8
Forum Supporter

I've been traveling but when I get back I'm going to start exploring some of these options.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

16 KTM 690 Enduro R
15 KTM 1190 Adventure R
09 KTM 400 XC-W Plated
copb8 is offline   Reply With Quote