• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

1989 Hawk 650 opinion?

Reaction score
What do you think? 1989 Honda Hawk, $1700. Starts, runs, but bogs on throttle. Been sitting for a year. Owner is having the shop clean the tank and carbs. My inspection of the bike saw tires with a date code of 3804 and obvious dry rot and a rusty chain. There is a little leak on the valve covers, but not too bad. Brakes feel firm. I expect I'll have to replace the brake lines, throttle cable, etc over the sooner rather than later time frame. Maybe the intake boots too. It's at a shop, and i'm not clear if it's consignment or what. Clear title. It's a little rough, but I didn't see anything that a little love couldn't fix.

I figure I need to have them do tires and chain before I ride it away and then catch up on the other stuff as I have time.

Just looking for opinions or things to watch out for. I"m thinking it's a pretty good price and I can negotiate on the tires and chain a bit. This would be bike #4 so I didn't just fall off the turnip truck, but I've been out of riding for 5 years. Bikes seem to have gotten twice as expensive in that time...:doh:

Also, my wife's birthday is coming up, so thinking I should homer simpson this and buy the bike for her. :trust:

If any of you have ideas for birthday presents that will keep me married after buying a motorcycle a week before her birthday I'll also accept those opinions. :lol2:

Very cool bike, but thats top dollar for one in great condition. I'd want to pay much less than 1000 for a bike with issues.

Those are awesome bikes. My old boss used to race one. Most of these bikes turned into racers... worn out etc. as long as the bike has not been sitting outside it seems like a fair price.

Blue book is $2200 or something like that. Hagerty says 1700 for "fair". Cycle trader has these in the $2-5000 ask range. Thousand might be a bit low ball, I'm thinking, but I'm really glad to hear you say it. Gives me hope that I have some wiggle room.

I am notoriously cheap. I get that this bike has a following and all, but you'll be putting another 800-1000 into it for neglected maintenance. Me personally I wouldn't pay more than a grand.

Not being driven daily I just don't see how a book price could know what all needs fixing. It does seem a bunch of money and $2000 gets you some really road worthy bikes on this forum.

Its a great bike.....and can be upgraded cheaply. We used to race those back in the day.

Very low mileage, late model Bandit 1250 in excellent condition for $3200. Not mine. ProCycle (979-822-6686) is selling it for a customer. While the Hawk has a great following, I see lots of later model bikes in great condition for less than you will eventually pay for this one. Buy it if you want the "Nice bike. I used to race one of those" comments, but I envision the Hawk being a $4000 bike when it eventually becomes a nice, reliable bike.

Also, my wife's birthday is coming up, so thinking I should homer simpson this and buy the bike for her. :trust:

If any of you have ideas for birthday presents that will keep me married after buying a motorcycle a week before her birthday I'll also accept those opinions. :lol2:

send her and a friend HERE!

Owner should have just sold it "As Is" for $1000. Probably would have gotten it easily. Now he's sinking $500-$800 likely for the tank cleanup and carb work and really it's still worth $1000 with all the other issues. He's asking $1700 to recoup his losses when he should have cut and run from the beginning.

Very low mileage, late model Bandit 1250 in excellent condition for $3200. Not mine. ProCycle (979-822-6686) is selling it for a customer. While the Hawk has a great following, I see lots of later model bikes in great condition for less than you will eventually pay for this one. Buy it if you want the "Nice bike. I used to race one of those" comments, but I envision the Hawk being a $4000 bike when it eventually becomes a nice, reliable bike.

Wow Denny. I wasn't talking about THAT bike in particular. I was saying that if he indeed was wanting a Hawk that they are a cool bike. Can you find better and newer bikes for a little more money. Of course. We all could. But not everybody wants a Bandit or an inline-4 or the same ho hum bikes out there. Is $1700 too much for it? Probably. But he can deal with the owner if he really wants a Hawk. Maybe he will end up having 3-4k in it. But its up to him. I had 2 Hawks. Never had any issues with them but didn't own them that long. But they were fun.

V Buy it if you want the "Nice bike. I used to race one of those" comments, but I envision the Hawk being a $4000 bike when it eventually becomes a nice, reliable bike.

hahaha I had that car once. a 1974 Saab Sonett III. If you wanted to attract 40 year old men in 1997, this was the car for you. "Nice car, I wanted one when they came out, but they were too expensive". 19 year old girls of the type I was interested in back then were NOT impressed..

send her and a friend HERE!

That's the kind of advice I keep coming back to this forum for, thank you. :sun:

Wow Denny. I wasn't talking about THAT bike in particular. I was saying that if he indeed was wanting a Hawk that they are a cool bike. Can you find better and newer bikes for a little more money. Of course. We all could. But not everybody wants a Bandit or an inline-4 or the same ho hum bikes out there. Is $1700 too much for it? Probably. But he can deal with the owner if he really wants a Hawk. Maybe he will end up having 3-4k in it. But its up to him. I had 2 Hawks. Never had any issues with them but didn't own them that long. But they were fun.

Thank you for the help guys. I do lean towards the eccentric, but at this point a bandit isn't very mainstream. :) You are right if I'm going to end up $4000 in there are a number of other bikes I'm into more than the hawk.

The hawk is pretty easy to work on, but I am uneasy a bit about cush drive, steering head bearings, wheel bearings, fork seals, leaky radiator lines, etc adding up, which is a real possibility that I'm afraid of. I don't have a LOT of time to tinker and farming this stuff out gets pricey.

I did buy a CBR F2 for 900 dollars once and sold it for $1000 loss, I just don't learn lessons very quickly. :rofl:

I have to agree with many of the other posts; I've been through "barn finds" before, and they're a crap shoot. this one sounds like it will just need too much. Just tires, battery, new fluids, chain and sprockets (there is a chain on this bike, right)? will start getting up to the 1K dollar range. then there's water pump, alternator, and starter that must be considered suspect; not to mention corroded electrical connections, diodes, and relays. It's just a lot of work, and only a rich man or a fool would pay a professional shop to go through the bike and fix all the things necessary for it to become a daily rider.

I have to agree with many of the other posts; I've been through "barn finds" before, and they're a crap shoot. this one sounds like it will just need too much. Just tires, battery, new fluids, chain and sprockets (there is a chain on this bike, right)? will start getting up to the 1K dollar range. then there's water pump, alternator, and starter that must be considered suspect; not to mention corroded electrical connections, diodes, and relays. It's just a lot of work, and only a rich man or a fool would pay a professional shop to go through the bike and fix all the things necessary for it to become a daily rider.

Or someone who really loves the bike. I know at least one such person. :rofl:

Eric, my comment wasn't directed at you. I was just telling the buyer that there are other bikes out there that are much better deals. The Hawk is a cool bike. I always tell a buyer to buy a bike that pleases them, otherwise it sits in the garage and motorcycling loses another member. I personally would buy this bike http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115400 for $1000 more. I know my wife and I would ride it more than we would a Hawk.

And that sv650 will likely outperform the Hawk in just about every way. Someone really needs to buy it.

Eric, my comment wasn't directed at you. I was just telling the buyer that there are other bikes out there that are much better deals. The Hawk is a cool bike. I always tell a buyer to buy a bike that pleases them, otherwise it sits in the garage and motorcycling loses another member. I personally would buy this bike http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115400 for $1000 more. I know my wife and I would ride it more than we would a Hawk.

That one is definitely on my list...thanks. Price and distance is stretching my comfort zone but it's a gem...

I would have to agree on that for sure.

Well, I took y'alls advice and bought something from the forum. I bought Recit's Falco. :rider:

Back