• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Ride the Talimena Oct 3-4, 2012

Reaction score
First Name
Russell
Last Name
Bowman
For some time now we have been doing day trips and RTE’s with some friends of ours. Earlier this year in June we did our first road trip together to the Carolina’s and rode all the amazing roads in that beautiful part of our country.

Since we survived that trip and were able to put up with each other for a whole week together :lol:, we decided to make this a habit. So this past weekend we loaded up the bikes and rode out to Oklahoma and Arkansas to ride The Talimena Trail. We tried to time our ride with the peak of the fall colors and we were not disappointed – the colors were stunning and the weather was sunny and mild.

Our friends ride cruisers so we had purchased one so that we all rode similar rides. Here is a picture of our cruiser back in June at Deals Gap Resort.

picture.php

However I wanted something more substantial since my wife rides as my passenger. So we recently traded the cruiser for another Gold Wing, our second Wing. Previously we owned a 2006 Gold Wing but then down sized with kids going to college and the economy being so iffy. As much as we liked the cruiser we really missed our Wing. They are such amazing bikes - comfort, speed, great handling, rider-to-rider intercom, luggage space, and the list goes on and on. So I am very glad to be back on a Wing.

Here I am packing up the Gold Wing early Saturday morning before the sunrise.

picture.php

Arrived at the gas station early and fueled up. Watching the sunrise while waiting for our friends to arrive.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

This will be a recurring theme for the trip. Our friend uses an iPhone and recently upgraded to the new iOS 6 and yes the new maps are horrible. We started out with him leading and promptly got lost trying to follow the route he previously loaded on his iPhone. Even though he had pre-programmed the route into his phone, it re-routed us all over North Texas when all we wanted to do was follow roads we mostly already knew.

Here we are at our first gas stop trying to figure out the iPhone maps. The iPhone constantly re-routed us with who knows what logic. I’m very glad I’m a late adopter when it comes to technology.

picture.php

From Paris, TX we followed FM 195 North-East and then jumped on 37 to Idabel, OK. What a treat FM 195 is! It runs through some beautiful areas with upscale neighborhoods, horse ranches and nice open areas. We were pleasantly surprised by this road and have added it as one of our favorites to ride again.

From Idabel we headed North on 259 to Broken Bow where we made a lunch stop. We stopped at Papa Poblano’s for lunch as we despise eating at chains especially when on a road trip. We love seeing what the local flavor is by eating at as many local dives as we can. And while Papa Poblano’s is not a dive it is a good place to stop and eat.

picture.php

More later…

Last edited:
After a good lunch in Broken Bow we rode North on 259 which is always a beautiful ride winding its way through the forest as it climbs in elevation. A little bit North of Broken Bow Highway 259 turns east for a bit and right there it meets up with Highway 144. Highway 144 is a gem of a road. It is a little two lane road that winds its way up and over the hills and down and around and through the valleys of the forest heading north by northwest until it eventually merges with Highway 271 just south of Talihena, OK. The varied terrain of Highway 144 offers breathtaking vistas and, at this time of year, offers vibrant colors all along the way. Interestingly enough Highway 144 crosses over itself :scratch: and continuing north it becomes the Indian Highway. Here it becomes steeper with tighter turns as it climbs up and over the final ridges and hills before it drops you on the other side into the little valley of Talihena, OK.

picture.php

Pictures of Highway 144

picture.php

picture.php

Shooting behind me on Highway 144

picture.php

A self-portrait

picture.php

Coming down 144 heading heading towards Talihena, OK

picture.php

Last edited:
Once we reach the beginning of The Talimena it's all hills, turns, superb fall colors with lots of motorcycles and cagers out enjoying a spectacular weekend.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

We eventually reach the Arkansas state line

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

About 4:30pm we pull into Mena, AR. Previously when I rode the Talimena I stopped at Queen Wilhelmina lodge and didn't ride all the way into Mena, AR. The stretch of road between Queen Wilhelmina Lodge and Mena AR is a blast! It drops very quickly into Mena and the return trip takes you up very steep hills and sharp turns until you arrive on top of the ridge. Awesome albeit short stretch of road.

At the hotel in Mena, AR

picture.php

picture.php

I'll have to get better at remembering to take my camera to the restaurants. We ate a very good dinner at the Branding Iron but did not take any pictures. :-( The cool thing is the Branding Iron is connected to the Harley Davidson dealership so while you are waiting for your meal you can browse some very cool American iron. Didn't get any pictures of that either :doh:

Sunday morning going up the Talimena heading west back towards Oklahoma

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

It was a great weekend ride and made it home just before dark. Hope you enjoyed the pictures. Better yet, hope you are out riding making your own special memories.

Love this area of Arkansas. Your pics are not showing this morning. ????

Love this area of Arkansas. Your pics are not showing this morning. ????

Hi there achesley, I just logged in from work and the pics are showing up now. Since I'm not a techie I'm not sure why they didn't show up for you earlier.

And yes isn't it a great part of this country? So many places to see, so little time.

Hi there achesley, I just logged in from work and the pics are showing up now. Since I'm not a techie I'm not sure why they didn't show up for you earlier.

And yes isn't it a great part of this country? So many places to see, so little time.

??? Nice captions. Still no pictures. :confused:

Back