• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Beyond Epic 5 - Ozark Rally, May 26-29, 2017

Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Gibbens
_1030909-M.jpg

Beyond epic? A few years back I was perusing a motorcycle magazine when I came across a ride report about central Texas. The guy who wrote the story had flown into Austin to meet up with his son who lived there. The man rented a Harley and he and his son, who owned a cruiser, rode 20 miles west of Austin to Mansfield Dam.* Upon reaching Mansfield Dam and snapping a few pictures, the writer declared their ride to be “already epic”. Wow! Already epic after just 20 miles of urban, paved, road riding? I didn’t realize how little it takes for a ride to reach epic proportions.

If 20 miles of urban highway riding is epic, then a four day rally in the Ozark Mountain of northwest Arkansas surely qualifies as Beyond EPIC! After all, it is hundreds of miles to get there from Texas and we will ride hundreds of miles during the rally. Hmmm, maybe even “Beyond EPIC” is an inadequate description. Well, no matter, that’s what we are calling it.

So, load up the bike and let’s hit the road for the annual Beyond Epic rally in Clarksville, AR. I can’t promise a magazine will write an article about our rally but we’re going to have an adventure they would surely call Beyond EPIC.

_1030902-M.jpg

What is it? A dual sport adventure rally on Memorial Day weekend in the Ozark mountains of northwest Arkansas open to all riders.

Our Fearless Leader: JT (John Thompson) has stepped up to the plate and agreed to organize this year's event. Thank you JT!

The Plan: Arrive on Friday evening at the Sunset Inn, Clarksville, AR. Ride all day Saturday and Sunday. Head home on Monday.

If two full days of riding aren’t enough for you, don’t despair – it’s not enough for a lot of us. Some riders arrive a day or two early in order to get in some extra riding. Feel free to do likewise.

Ride HQ:
Sunset Inn
Interstate 40, exit 55
2600 West Main Street
Clarksville, AR
479-754-8555

Make your reservations now. You can always cancel if life throws you a curve ball at the last minute.

Riders Meeting: Saturday and Sunday mornings, 8 a.m., Sunset Inn parking lot.

Sleeping: The Sunset Inn is where we will meet each morning for the riders meeting. There is a Hampton Inn and a Holiday Inn Express nearby in case the Sunset Inn is full.

What should you ride? Your street legal motorcycle. The paved roads in the area are to die for. The dual sport riding is also excellent. So, whether your ride paved, dirt, or both, this rally is for you.

Note – Most of the dirt roads in the national forest require your vehicle to be street legal. However there is some stuff you can legally ride on your non-street legal dirt bike (or atv). If you don’t have a street legal bike and want to attend the rally then there is some stuff for you to ride but you will have to trailer your bike to the designated riding areas.

Where should you ride? Your decision. There are more twisty paved roads in northwest Arkansas than you can ride in a month. The paved road riding here is so good riders come from all over just to ride the area. Grab a map and have a look for yourself – twisty roads are everywhere.

Or you can buy a copy of the Ozark Adventure ride guide. It includes multiple pavement only routes designed to direct you to some of the best riding in the area. And just in case you didn’t already know, dual sport bikes excel on these kinds of roads.

This area is also home of Ozark National Forest with at least a thousand miles of dirt roads just waiting to be explored. Many, many dual sport riders love the riding here, including us. The Ozark Adventure ride guide includes 7 proven dual sport routes, maps of the forest service roads, and GPX files of the routes available for download.

Note – the dirt roads in the Ozark National Forest tend to be better suited to dual sport bikes (650cc and smaller) than the big adventure bikes (like the GS800, 1200, Tiger, Strom, etc) due to the scarcity of class 2 roads. The dirt roads in the forest tend to be class 1 and class 3. If you have a big adventure bike you are very welcome to attend the rally, just be aware of the limited amount of good class 2 dirt riding. On the other hand, your big adventure bike is custom made for the fantastic and abundant paved riding in the Ozarks.

Is there an organized ride I can join each day? This is a rally. We are all here to ride but the event does not include a daily organized ride/route that everyone follows. Instead, riders self-organize into small teams and then head out each day to ride whatever that team wants to ride. Finding a team to ride with is easy – just ask around. Also, during the morning riders meeting JT will help find a group for those riders who need a group to ride with.

I don’t know anyone. New to Texas/Oklahoma/Arkansas dual sport adventure riding and haven’t met any other adventure riders yet? That’s okay – we are a friendly bunch of guys. Come ride with us.

Registration $20

For the measly sum of $20 you get rally attendance and your very own custom designed Texas Adventure Rider baseball cap. (In fact, you will be the first adventure riders to get Texas Adventure Rider baseball caps. JT and I are having them custom made for this event.)

"I'm in. How do I register?"

Paypal: Send your contact info, email address, payment, and a note letting me know you are registering for the Beyond Epic rally to me via paypal at rgibbens@austin.rr.com.

US Mail: Mail $20, your contact info, email address, and a note letting me know you are registering for the Beyond Epic rally to me at

Richard Gibbens
12609 Red Bud Trail
Buda, TX 78610

Please write legibly. If I can read your writing and you include an email address I will send you an email confirming receipt of your registration.

(If you haven't used paypal before, follow these instructions:
1. go to www.paypal.com
2. click the "send" button at the top of the page
3. follow the instructions to sign up and send money
4. send your payment to me at rgibbens@austin.rr.com
5. Include the pertinent details (name, email address, why you are sending me $20)

"I have commitment issues and want to wait to the last minute. What is the last day I can register and still get one of those really cool Texas Adventure Rider hats?" - 5 pm, Thursday, May 4th.

You can still register after Thursday, May 4th, but I am ordering hats at 6 pm on the 4th and I can not guarantee you will get a hat if you register after I place the order. We will order a few extra hats but if many riders sign up late (and ahead of you), we could run out before you get yours.

"Okay, I'm convinced. I will register now but might have to cancel. Can I get a refund?" - We will cheerfully refund your money until 5 pm, Thursday, May 4th. After that, I will have spent your registration fee paying for the custom hats.

Let's ride!

11_09_-024-1-M.jpg

_1030899-M.jpg

_1030883-L.jpg

Last edited:
Wow would love to go but work is calling.
I went a couple years ago for vintage ride and it was AWSOME!
1f4b09a93076366ec5ce52b5c4b58285.jpg

Oark Cafe has excellent burgers

2b8f739f0c7b673e60365d86d7dc3346.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad this is on again this year. Wish I could make it. For a few years it was my favorite ride.

I think I can make it. Looking forward to it!

Riders,

Please note that JT (John Thompson) has graciously agreed to be the ride organizer for this year's Beyond Epic rally and there is a $20 fee for rally registration. I have updated the first post in the thread with registration information.

If I'm in one of the pictures, it means I should go, I'm recruiting...

So it turns out that I have a conference in Nashville that ends on the 25th. I am pondering if I drive to Nashville I could bring a bike with me and stop by this event on my way home...

Which bike would be better the Africa Twin or the Husky?

Not committing to this yet just pondering the logistics of it

Hi Mike, bring the Husky. You could have a lot of fun on the AT, too, but its a lot easier to get the Husky in the back of truck. :-)

Mike, I'd like to clarify the last post a bit.

There will be some riders there to ride nothing but pavement. It's good enough to be worth the trip. I keep telling myself that I will make a trip up there someday on a street bike and ride nothing but pavement.

I just can't get past the dirt. That's why I said 'take the Husky'.

I just noticed that The 'Blackjack White Rock Enduro' will be May 28th at Combs, AR, just around the corner from Clarksville. I have ridden through Combs many times when riding in the area.
Here is a recent video of the enduro.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HeYfHegoqk"]Black Jack Enduro Circuit White Rock - YouTube[/ame]

Strongly considering this ride! It seems the Sunset Inn is all booked up..

How many have registered so far JT and Rich?

4 have registered as of this morning. I expect we will end up with about 20 riders attending.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Strongly considering this ride! It seems the Sunset Inn is all booked up..

How many have registered so far JT and Rich?

Hi Justin, did you call the hotel? The booking websites may show them as full, but hotels rarly allow the booking sites to have full access to all the rooms. Call them at 214-563-5459 and say you are with the motorcycle rally.

JT

This is probably a bit of a cheeky thing to do, but I will be riding through the Ozarks in June (on the TAT going West to East) and wanted to spend a day or two sight seeing in the Ozarks, would anyone be willing to share any GPX files of some good DS/off-road trails in the area that we could spend a day riding? Last time I rode the TAT, it was almost a race from one end to the other, this time I am taking my time and smelling the roses, so want to visit a few things near the TAT trail and relax a bit this time!!

Regards Gary

Last edited:
Hi Justin, did you call the hotel? The booking websites may show them as full, but hotels rarly allow the booking sites to have full access to all the rooms. Call them at 214-563-5459 and say you are with the motorcycle rally.

JT

Hey there JT. I will give them a call. I just did a quick online search..

Following...... This ride sounds pretty incredible. I am doing the Great Divide Ride a couple weeks later so not sure I can do this. I am going to see what I can work out......... I really want to ride a group ride in this area.

Hey there JT. I will give them a call. I just did a quick online search..

Regarding the Sunset Inn

When I made my reservation, I was told they are busy these days with a pipeline going through the area, but that they expected some of the pipeline people would go home for the holiday weekend.
There are other hotels nearby.

Back