• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

DR-Z400 Case Saver Removal

OldTLSDoug

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a way to remove case savers that have been RTV'ed on the engine cover?

I haven't discovered a method, so I am asking.

Thanks.

Does anyone know of a way to remove case savers that have been RTV'ed on the engine cover?

I haven't discovered a method, so I am asking.

Thanks.

I use piano wire with aluminum dowels as handles

You can also use fishing line. Braided works very well. Doug, PM me your address so I can ship out the piston to you

Real thing guitar string, piano wire or a long thin chisel would probably work best. Heat won't do much unless you are talking open flame heat and if you try the flat mating surface of the cover is going to probably be warped.

use any heat?

I dont, but that is when RTV has been used as an adhesive..
If the installer used something that softens at a relatively low temp (doubtful of it would have fallen off on its own) heat might help.....but......no, Id say dont bother with heat.

I should have mentioned, I never removed with with the intent of reusing the case saver.. It was to just to remove the trashed or cheap brand case saver without damaging the side case itself. The case saver does get tweaked a bit in removal as I remember it.

Last edited:
Unless it's fuel resistant, like Permatex, soaking in gasoline will probably make it swell up and come right off??

Unless it's fuel resistant, like Permatex, soaking in gasoline will probably make it swell up and come right off??

Permatex being a brand not a type aside, pretty much All commonly available RTV silicone is solvable by constant contact with fuel, some more resistant than others but still..... so that is a not bad suggestion if time allows and the paint on the case cover is not a concern :-D you could lay that cover in a container of solvent and let it soak a day or 5 and the cover may peel off with just finisher pressure. :giveup:

Back