• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Houston burbs summer night riding??

• Thread starter Deleted member 23845
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 23845

All,

Spring is here and summer coming with longer evenings and the heat. When I was a youngster, my favorite time to ride was in the cool/dry Durango, CO summer evenings.

Here in Sugar Land, I have never done any night riding. Main reason: concern about visibility, seeing road hazards, and such. I am amazed at the number of vehicles driving at night without lights on. And throw in pedestrians randomly crossing at night in dark clothing, and even bicycles.

Am I being over cautious? I have the desire to do some night riding. Example is the Wednesday Katy bike night-- an easy swan up from Sugar Land. But, the night riding gives me pause.

Advice? Thoughts?

thanks

Depending on where you start you can shoot up 99 to westhiemer. I feel better about evening riding than my morning commute into Houston.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You aren't kidding about the number of people driving at night with no headlights; counted 7 within a 20 mile commute last Saturday. With spring break in full effect right now, it really pays to remain alert.

I think in our youth, we were more fearless, had better eyesight and perhaps didn't weigh our risks like we do now.
I am starting to not like driving the car at night, much less riding. There are too many cars; everyone seems to be in a hurry; some of these newer HID headlamps are awfully glare-y; and all the hazards you already mentioned.
Plus, even after sundown, it does not cool off very quickly here. Too much concrete and steel and humidity.

Hahaha. I sound old and cantankerous!

Riding at night is a great thing - no reason not to do it. Cooler temps. Watch your speed because the LEOs in Houston have their hands full with the Loop 610 MotoGP that hits its peak on Sunday nights.

If you are just cruising around, the inner city is awesome. Memorial drive through the park into downtown, Montrose towards Rice U, everything is well lit, light traffic, a great way to see the city.

Stop and grab a burger, find a food truck, duck into a Vietnamese cafe, enjoy the diversity of the city without all the road rage, traffic backups, heat etc.

Some caveats -be aware of the big sporting events and flash traffic that comes with starting and ending times (but cruising by Minute Maid while they are in the 5th inning is really cool). The later you get the higher the ratio of DUI there is out there (and higher ratio of LEO). But if you mind your Ps and Qs there is nothing like it.

Nowadays it takes my eyes a while to adjust during dusk. I try to avoid driving during those hours, especially on two wheels.

During the heat of "SIMMER", night riding is close to the only riding the wife and I do in the Houston area. It's still hot but ya won't melt. We too like to venture into Downtown via Memorial or Allen Parkway. Taking Navigation or Harrisburg to the Lawndale, Harrisburg/Manchester areas we get to check out some of the old homes. Lots of history in these areas. One really neat place we've explored is the Glenwood Cemetary. It's where Howard Hughes is buried.
:rider::rider:

Loop 610 MotoGP? I think it’s moved up to the Grand Parkway. [emoji965][emoji965][emoji965][emoji965][emoji2][emoji2][emoji2][emoji2]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

At heart the question is if riding in Houston traffic at whatever time is fun. Since I have to go through the Galleria to get anywhere, it just isn't fun for me. I hear guys on sport bikes going around the loop and out the main extension every night.

Several of us on the NW side take our Groms out at night to ride around. The direction we're going is usually only decided when we get to an intersection. "i don't think I've ever gone down this road." The average age of the group if at least 40! lol

And I've ridden my Super Adventure and the VFR800 before that for hundreds/thousands of hours at night cross county. You just have to fight the urge to freak yourself out worrying about a deer jumping out in front of you! lol

Last edited:
I worked in the Webster area after Harvey hit. There was a good sized group with a random mix of supermotos, dual sports, and groms that would mob this huge parking garage a few nights a week. They must of had permission for this specific garage because no one ever messed with them from what I saw. No idea where they would go after but It sure looked like they were always having a great time from what I could see while working.

Loop 610 MotoGP? I think it’s moved up to the Grand Parkway.

I know someone that got a special dispensation to run his SS1000 in a loop around Lubbock.

I've thought about trying for a similar feat around BW8. 12 laps and it's done!
Toll tag time stamps would be easy documentation. ;-)

Back