• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Sealant in tires with TPMS

Leaks_04-X3.jpg

Check it out.

As the tire machine spun the tire, it folded those mold release hairs flat and they were trapped between the tire bead and rim.

I've never paid attention to those, good to know. I've installed about 12-13 Mitas tires without issue. I spoon on by hand though, not machine and appears the E-07 Dakars are more a "hairless" variety. Note you get a couple extra plies as well.
96a4b2548e8122bf035a78fa0a06aa90.jpg

Oh ... well, OK then

Nice to have friends, Mitch. Did I mention the tire installer will not accept responsibility for this issue? Unless I get an engine or something then I might....

Well, it wasn't old rubber bits between the tire and rim, but it was rubber there! ;-)

After everything, it appears I have several leaks around the spokes.

Last edited:
And I cannot thank Doug and Donna enough for allowing me to interrupt the last few weekends chasing this thing.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Mitch, will they cover that under warranty? The thing looked pristine this morning. There is not a mark on the rim, or the sealing surface of the valve stem TPMS gizmo. I would think KTM should make this right. Sorry it didn't work out, we did enjoy the donuts, sir.

Might as well get something good out of the day.

Tire sealer can ruin the pressure sensor. It clogs the tiny little port that it reads pressure from and you could get a flat and it won’t alert you to the dropping pressure.

How on earth did we ever get along with the gadgets on our modern bikes?

Put a tube in it for now and call it done until the next tire.

I guess I could live with and ignore the TPMS error message blinding me while driving.

Thanks ... I had found that thread and read through it.

Mid decade 1190 and early 1290 Adventures randomly suffered this problem.

My plan of attack if it fails warranty work, is to replace the outer band that seals into the rim.

while it's off, I will install a 2nd layer of sealant tape 3M extreme 4412. I figure a contiguous seal would be better than several small patches.

That is a great find, thanks for sharing

Back