• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

need some info about bandits.

Reaction score
Let me introduce my self. My name is Chris and I live in Pennsylvania I currently do not have a bike but in the market for one. I just sold my 82 Honda magna and wanting to upgrade to something bigger and newer. I really like the Suzuki bandit 1200 I got a chance to test ride one for sale it was a 2002 gsf model and wow what a great bike. I like the power they have and they way they handle and I felt pretty comfortable too. Now the question I have for all you on this forum. I’m interested in a 2000 gsfs from a dealer with just over 7000 miles in very good shape the dealer just installed new front and rear tires (big plus) changed oil and air filter. They haven’t done anything with the vales. I no they need to be checked every 7500 depending how you ride. This is something I’m sure I can tackle my self with a service manual. I did not ride this bike yet when I went to the dealer it was raining. What I don’t like is the front faring, no offence to anyone with them. The dealer was asking $3200 they said they would go down to $2900. I didn’t negotiate with them yet cause I was still looking around. The other bike that I like better is the one I test rode. It’s a 2002 gsf with 6000 miles. It looks like it just came off the show room floor. But the down flaw is it needs tires front and back. And when I rode it I turned the choke completely off and the idle went down to about 800 rpm. I look up what the idle speed is and its around 1300 or so. I have herd these carbs aren’t the best on these bikes. I could just be a matter of turning the screw to increase idle speed. He is asking $3000. I could probably get him down to $2800 or so if he doesn’t put tires on it. He said he was going to get it inspected and if it doesn’t pass with the tires he will put them on but wants more money for the bike. I no some of the changes they have done on these bike from 2000 to 2002. I want to know is what are some of the issues these years have had. I tried to look and find some info but wasn’t able to find much. So if you could please give me some input on these bike to help me decide.

Some issues. The idle could just be the idle screw. Most likely the cause. It is on the left side of the carbs when you are sitting on the bike. Test ride it again and turn that know clockwise to get the idle to 1200 or so. If it holds a steady idle there, that is the only issue. Most people don't know they should idle that hight. A fuel injected, water cooled bike could idle comfortably at 800, but the oil cooled motor needs a higher idle to keep the top end lubricated well.
Some of the 2001s were oil burners, the VIN range for this issue is in a section all its own on the forum I posted the link to. So, if the rings have been replaced, it should no longer burn oil.
The carbs are actually great on these bikes. Very tunable and easy to maintain as long as you ride it regularly and keep fresh gas in them. The only problem I know of with the carbs is they have a tendency to get gummed up easily if allowed to sit with old gas. You can prevent this by using a fuel stabilizer and making sure it gets down to the carbs (running it a bit with the stabilizer in the fuel) before you shut it down. With the ethanol in the fuel these days, the fuel can start to gum things up with just a week of sittting.
The fairing can be removed and the bike converted to naked. The headlights are horrible on the second generation of bikes. This is the main reason mine has been converted to a naked Bandit. However, there is another way to deal with this problem. It requires dissasembly and cleaning of the inside of the headlight unit. 2nd generation is 2001-2005 model years.
That's about it.
They are really solid, simple, reliable bikes. Peruse the forum I posted the link to. Use the search function before posting a question as they do not like to answer questions that have already been answered 100 times before.
Feel free to post up here if there is anything else I can help you with.

Wrong thread.
Thought this was another about travel in Arizona, New Mexico & Tejas.

All 'll say about bandits is vote the bums out.

http://forums.banditalley.net/index.php?sid=6a7560b63f6f5ab0c4c169c584c6d016

try the FAQs with Bandit Alley.

Some of those early 2nd Gen models were recalled due to faulty pistons causing high oil consumption (this was some 2002 and 2003 model year according to above FAQ). Probably corrected, the owner would know it. I have a First Gen 1998 with 69k miles on it. Tires will set you back $250-300, everyone's got an opinion about tires & oil. The valve adjustment can be done with wrenches- no special tools or shims.

My bike has been reliable, uses no oil, has recently had the carbs gone through, timing chain replaced, and have 30k miles on the third clutch. Lots of mods to suspension, jets and muffler. 2nd Gen bikes have better clutch and carbs. My timing chain was noisy but probably OK, my mechanic knows how to thread a new chain without splitting the case.

Not sure where you can find a better deal for $3k than a Bandit. Then you can modify it to make it any kind of bike you want.

Back