TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > Introductions

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 02-21-2007, 09:37 PM   #1
wendigo

Smile Just moved to Austin

Hello,

I just moved to Austin back in December from San Francisco, where I learned how to ride. I've been riding about 8 months now, and I've put just over 6000 miles on the 2000 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic that I picked up out in California.

I found this board while searching for good motorcycle roads in Austin. I was initially pretty disappointed with the roads around here, but thanks to this board, I've since discovered (and enjoyed) a number of routes recommended by people in the member's section. I was initially convinced that nothing could live up to the Bay area back roads, but after a few trips down Lime Creek Rd, I'm starting to change my mind.

I hope to continue to find and share excellent places to ride in Texas. Hopefully attend a few rides or rallies with you all as well. Glad to be here!
wendigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 10:07 PM   #2
Graubart

Re: Just moved to Austin

Just hang with us a bit and we will show you some more fine riding roads.

2015 Yamaha FZ-07
2012 Suzuki Wee Strom
2010 BMW R1200R
Graubart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 10:52 PM   #3
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

Welcome to Texas and to the site

Get our farther West... Past US 281. Lots of fun stuff!

Total Forum Supporter Donations For October: $323.43 - Previous Month: $685.11 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 128 Current Forum Supporters out of 20679 Users (0.62%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 11:08 PM   #4
whoa

Welcome to Austin. A few of us met tonight in north Austin. Check out the upcoming rides for Austin Bike Night and come join us.
whoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 07:21 AM   #5
mlinkibikr

Welcome! While I'm not Californian I did live in Walnut Creek for 10 years, so I know what you miss. Good to hear you are finding some twisties, and you've found this place which will make it all even better.

I hope you like pie though. This bunch is really zeroed in on pie.

Dave.
mlinkibikr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 10:11 AM   #6
The Bruce

Welcome I did high school in San Jose and learned to ride in the hills south of town. Lots of good riding here once you learn your way around.
The Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 10:44 AM   #7
1TallTXn

Welcome

there's plenty of good riding around down there, just gotta get away from the metro mess

2002 VFR800STi | 1985 GL1200 Aspencade -Earl | 1983 GL1100 Aspencade

IBA# 31895
--------
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

"...what is the militia? It is the whole people, except a few public officials." - George Mason 1788
1TallTXn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 11:41 AM   #8
TWTim

I was in SF a few months ago and found tons of great roads between the south bay and Pacifica. The only problem was that I didn't have bike with me.

Oh well, next year, perhaps!
2004 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

TIM KREITZ ADVENTURES
www.timkreitz.com
TWTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 02:19 PM   #9
scratch
User's account inactive by request

Welcome!

There are quite a few other transplanted Californians that have signed up here.
scratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 09:30 PM   #10
wendigo

Thumbs up Re: Just moved to Austin

Thanks, guys. I'm not a Californian either. In fact, I was only out there for a year and a half, where I moved from Dallas. It's a pretty special place, but the cost of living is absolutely insane. I'm happy to be back in Texas again. Now that I've figured out that the first line of every set of directions to good riding starts with "head west from town...", things are really looking up.

The good roads around here are just as fun to ride on, even if the view isn't quite as breathtaking. What I really miss, though, is the lane sharing. Nothing like moving to the front of the line at every red light and passing right through interstate traffic jams. I got stuck in the 35 death star trench for over an hour the other day and the temptation to split my way out of there was almost overwhelming.
wendigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 09:50 PM   #11
whoa

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendigo
What I really miss, though, is the lane sharing.
Oh, we do that here real good.
whoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 06:50 AM   #12
Gilk51
Pie Man v2.0 (retired)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoa
Oh, we do that here real good.
Yep, had a minivan use half of my lane yesterday to change lanes.
Gilk51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 08:04 AM   #13
Chirpy

Welcome!

Don't forget that tomorrow is a free movie over in Taylor!

Should be lots of the local reprobates, er, riders to meet. Click the pic for details, and please cross your fingers for the rain to get over with tonight!

So I'm looking through the Constitution, trying to figure out where the Congress has the power to regulate light bulbs...
Chirpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 09:44 AM   #14
The Bruce

There are some really nice roads heading east as well. One that comes to mind is to catch Park Road 1 in Bastrop. You'll think you are in another state as you wind through the lost pines on the twisties. Another nice ride through the country is FM 696 from Hwy 290 east of Elgin to Lexington.
The Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote