• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Trip Advice: Black Hills National Forest

DFW_Warrior

Hmmmm.....
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
In a month or so, a buddy and I will be heading up towards the Black Hills. No, we will not be going during the Sturgis Rally, so I am hoping that things will have died down and be fairly quiet by the time we get up there.

I have a list of things that I'm thinking that we want to do, but would love to hear other people's experiences from the area. Here is what is on my list so far, feel free to tell me to skip something if you have already been there, done that, wouldn't go back.

• Badlands National Park
  • Devil's Tower
  • Jewel Cave
  • Wind Cave
  • Deadwood (history buff, really want to go see it)
  • Little Bighorn Battlefield
  • Custer State Park
  • Spearfish Canyon Scenic Byway
  • Peter Norbeck Scenic Byway

Thoughts?

Sounds like a great trip, I've never been up there, but aren't both Mount Rushmore and the Crazy Horse memorial in the area?

At Mt Rushmore, it's good show to be there at dusk when they illuminate the faces

Hot Springs has well, hot springs. Nice place to relax after being on the bike all day

Iron Mountain Road... ride it south to north, and buy the t-shirt. It tells the entire route of the road. :rider:

I'm heading up there for the rally, but two weeks before or two weeks after are much better times to ride the Black Hills.

Enjoy Your Ride,
Bud...

I've been up there once before during the rally, and have been to Rushmore and Crazyhorse. They were nice to see, but nothing for me to phone home about I guess. Granted, I didn't see Rushmore in the evening so that may make it where I need to go back and see it again.

I will do some research on Hot Springs and Iron Mountain Road. Both sound like darn good ideas! Thanks.

Back