• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

BMW red alert!!

Reaction score
First Name
Leon
Last Name
Hogan
only 20 minutes till the live debut of the new R1250GS and RT!

yep your 1200 is now outdated and needs replacement!!:lol2:

IOOOO gold wheels!! OLED display!!

Interested....but only because it should drive the price of the old model down a bit. :)

I really don't understand the advantage on the GS, maybe the RT but not the GS.

For me, the existing 1200 in the GS has more than enough power, torque and speed. Now....if they could keep that power, torque and speed and drop it to an 1100 that weighed less...that would be something I'd be interested in.

it was on there Facebook page and was supposed to be on there you tube channel.

Carolyn may chime in I saw her on there watching.

the dual intake cam profiles sounds interesting, offset low lift to promote low end torque and fuel economy that switches over to high lift free breathing.

who are the early adopters out there, get one please!

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtJIo-Ow71M"]2019 New BMW R1250GS - YouTube[/ame]

I heard BMW is offering Reverse Mortages to supplement the bike loan to make them within reach.

I heard BMW is offering Reverse Mortages to supplement the bike loan to make them within reach.

Most new bikes are well beyond my means... I am at the point where I have to wait 5-6 years it seems before any of them come down enough that I can afford one. My current bikes are an 07 GS and a 2011 KTM, both bought used. There is NO WAY I am going to finance one of these new bikes.

I bought a Goldwing and a GS new but that was when they were in the $17k range. Once they got $20k+, figured buying new was way over rated.

It's pretty. Would not want to drop it in the mud.Wonder if it's as easy to service as my KLR? Guess if you can afford it maintenance is not an issue. I'm going to buy me 2 lotto tickets this weekend. I want one. kenray in katy.

Shift-Cam looks elaborate is this new M/C technology? First year for new engine. Recalls possible :mrgreen: All manufactures get them.

Shift-Cam looks elaborate is this new M/C technology? First year for new engine. Recalls possible :mrgreen: All manufactures get them.

I am not sure about actually sliding cams over to change entire cam profile, lift and duration. I can't remember hearing of that being done before.

variable timing where the cam timing is changed has been done and is common on cars.
Honda had a system on the VFR where it ran one intake valve at low speeds and then picked up the second as RPM rises.

I am not sure about actually sliding cams over to change entire cam profile, lift and duration. I can't remember hearing of that being done before.

variable timing where the cam timing is changed has been done and is common on cars.
Honda had a system on the VFR where it ran one intake valve at low speeds and then picked up the second as RPM rises.

Yeah our CRV has a green Clover Leaf, it won't pull a highway hill when it is on without down shifting.. We leave it off.

:tab When the VFRs went to the Vtec setup, checking and adjusting valves became a MAJOR hassle. It also increased the cost of having a dealer do the service if you did not want to mess with it. I wonder if this will have the same result? Given my general distrust of dealer mechanics (with a few exceptions), there is something to be said for the screw/tappet setup on my old GS :-P

Press junket from BMW's site hundreds of pictures of the new GS and RT.

Check out the GS Exclusive in "set 7"

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/glob...e-new-bmw-r-1250-gs-and-the-new-bmw-r-1250-rt

Of the colors shown, I like that one.

It seems that with each new version of the GS, they find more ways to add more bits and pieces of plastic. I recall my 1150 GS having two plastic side panels under the gas tank and the gas tank. It was a clean look. It was easy to take apart for maintenance. I guess with the water cooled bike they need more air control to direct it over the radiators, but it really gives the bikes a cluttered look and takes a lot of time to get it all apart and back together again if you want/need to remove the tank.

Geez. I saw the subject ("BMW red alert!!") and assumed it was in reference to a newly-discovered and highly dangerous failure mode in the front suspension.

I realize that's probably a personal problem.
But it sort of clarifies whether or not I should ever own one...

I think the tech war is unstoppable. I'm satisfied with the lower power and complexity of my '13 RT. If I was to buy another RT, it would be well maintained '13 without a scuffs on the panniers. The new motor is going to be fast, even more torque and horsepower. I don't need the temptation.

So I posted earlier that I'm not sure I'd be interested as why would one need more power on an ADV bike than the existing 1200 already gives you.

But...

After looking at some of the technology and advancement in engine design they are using, I have to say it's a bit impressive.

It should produce some really usable power gains and efficiency making it easier to ride and a bit less fuel consumed which is always a good thing.

I don't think I'd buy a first year model though. It looks like they've done quite a bit of change and although they've got some really smart engineers, it's very likely there will be teething pains of the new design. I think I'd rather wait until the engine is a bit more proven and refined by real world use before I get one.

So I posted earlier that I'm not sure I'd be interested as why would one need more power on an ADV bike than the existing 1200 already gives you.

But...

After looking at some of the technology and advancement in engine design they are using, I have to say it's a bit impressive.

It should produce some really usable power gains and efficiency making it easier to ride and a bit less fuel consumed which is always a good thing.

I don't think I'd buy a first year model though. It looks like they've done quite a bit of change and although they've got some really smart engineers, it's very likely there will be teething pains of the new design. I think I'd rather wait until the engine is a bit more proven and refined by real world use before I get one.

It will be ten years before I can afford a used one, so I am not worried :lol2:

With all the talk about and "all new" RT, I was hoping they were going give it a new face, a better-looking front end. Nope, same. Seems the only major changes are mechanical.

Back