• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

strange noise on startup

Reaction score
my 07 1250s has started making a brief strange sound on startup in the morning. later in the day, after work, it does not make this sound. the sound, hard to describe, if it was a car I'd say it was a belt. a little uurrgh, like I said hard to describe. anybody experience anything similar? thanks, Gary

Hi there

The first thing that comes to mind is the timing chain tensioner, however, if at all possible, take a video of the bike with sound and move the camera/phone or capturing device around the bike while this noise that is taking place and post it for the guys on this forum to hear and get a better idea of what you are referring to, uurrgh wise. This I am positive will help the guys immediately identify your problem.

my 07 1250s has started making a brief strange sound on startup in the morning. later in the day, after work, it does not make this sound. the sound, hard to describe, if it was a car I'd say it was a belt. a little uurrgh, like I said hard to describe. anybody experience anything similar? thanks, Gary

Funny you mention that. I had my 07 1250S in for valve check, coolant change, assorted other 32k mi service, and I noticed it was making a metallic rattling noise on morning startup for few seconds. Wouldn't do it in the afternoon after sitting for 9 hours or so. Seemed to be coming from the top of the engine.

Now, a week later (and equally cool mornings), it has stopped making the sound. Starts up with the same sound I remember from before the service. I have not looked at the service manual, but is there an oil pressurized cam chain tensioner that somehow could have come "unstuck?" I don't know. Bike runs fine and is quiet now, so I guess it's not something to worry about for me. Curious as to what may have caused it though.

I'll bet money on it being the tensioner that has now sorted itself out.:-P

Funny you mention that. I had my 07 1250S in for valve check, coolant change, assorted other 32k mi service, and I noticed it was making a metallic rattling noise on morning startup for few seconds. Wouldn't do it in the afternoon after sitting for 9 hours or so. Seemed to be coming from the top of the engine.

Now, a week later (and equally cool mornings), it has stopped making the sound. Starts up with the same sound I remember from before the service. I have not looked at the service manual, but is there an oil pressurized cam chain tensioner that somehow could have come "unstuck?" I don't know. Bike runs fine and is quiet now, so I guess it's not something to worry about for me. Curious as to what may have caused it though.

this noise is also at the top of the engine. bike only has 4700 miles on it thought, a little early for cam tensioner problems don't you think? anyway just as added info, I recently did oil and filter change, 10-40 synthetic. recording the sound, hmmm didn't know it was possible to post sounds on here. then again you could just be pulling my leg.

Pulling your leg.....nope. TAKE THE VIDEO!!! ATTACH IT. And an oil change from mineral to synthetic can make all the difference to the sound of your bike. Still think it is the tensioner though.

this noise is also at the top of the engine. bike only has 4700 miles on it thought, a little early for cam tensioner problems don't you think? anyway just as added info, I recently did oil and filter change, 10-40 synthetic. recording the sound, hmmm didn't know it was possible to post sounds on here. then again you could just be pulling my leg.

stormiezzz thanks for the feedback. hope you weren't offended by the pulling leg statement. and if it is the cam chain tensioner what do I do about it? I might mention my minimal wrenching skills. thank again, Gary

Dont worry. No offence taken at all. Now to fix your bike....Just ride it like you stole it. It will sort itself out.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

I recently did oil and filter change and was pleasantly surprised to find the oil drain plug had a magnet in the end. and no filings sticking to it. so guess I'm o.k. in that department.

The 1250 tensioners occasionally cause a top end rattle on cold startup, and you will get this for a few days and then it will vanish. Mine has always done it periodically and it's nothing to worry about.

There.... you have now heard it from two peeps, myself and Kewwig. All left now is what I mentioned earlier. Ride it like you stole it.

The 1250 tensioners occasionally cause a top end rattle on cold startup, and you will get this for a few days and then it will vanish. Mine has always done it periodically and it's nothing to worry about.

There.... you have now heard it from two peeps, myself and Kewwig. All left now is what I mentioned earlier. Ride it like you stole it.

Funny you say that. I recall reading of a member on this or another forum that had wicked noise and eventually he took it to the dealer. Their fix!? Ran it hard on the dyno to force the adjuster to "click" into the next tooth! :rider:

EDIT: If I recall it happened when he bump started it after having a low battery or something and somehow that upset the adjuster!

Funny you say that. I recall reading of a member on this or another forum that had wicked noise coming from the engine, and eventually he took it to the dealer.

Their fix!? the dealer brought in a priest and performed and exorcism on his bike, and after that it ran like a bat out of ****

:rider:

The sound has gone away! It has sorted itself out as suggested. now I can ride it like I borrowed it from a close friend who has no insurance. yay!! :rider:

Now I wish I knew how to use emoticons on my note 3. Anyways, heres a smiley that shoulda been a laughey. :) Glad to hear its all sorted funny money.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Back