• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

My 09' Bandit has been mostly sitting

Reaction score
Hi all... I joined here about a year ago and then my heart tried to kill me again. I've got an 09' Bandit and she's unfortunately sat in the garage most of her life. I've had a bunch of heart issues that hit me right after I bought it. Wife keeps telling me I should sell it but I had a great time on it for the 200 some odd miles I got to ride her. I broke it in as per Motor man instructions. But then it was a heart attack.... Some other health issues... I was just plagued. I finally have my health back after another open heart surgery and some rehab. Lol, sad but it's set so long it needs a new battery.

Something else I was wanting to try to fix are the foot pegs. I know there are quite a few threads here and there about them. I'm a tall guy with big feet. A lot of you know the story.

Should I haul this thing to the dealer and have them check it over? I mean I'm mechanically inclined just not a bike mechanic. I was a Lincoln Mercury tech for 25 yrs in a dealership.

Just thought I'd run it by some of you'd and see what you thought.

I also wanted to say hello! Retired on disability after 3 heart attacks,2 open heart surgeries. This my 4th bike including the dirt bike I had as a teen. I had a Klr, Vstrom 650 and then this Bandit. I've been chasing a bike that I could fit my long legs on. I may be just SOL if this doesn't work out. Not buying another bike now with all the crap I've had health wise.

Thanks for reading
John

John: though I'm not a wrench turner by trade;
1-get new battery and get it charged before installing on bike
2-change oil and filter
3-If gas is old, siphon out and put fresh in, then install battery
4-If it runs smoothly then figger out if you want to pay a shop to do other stuff
Good luck! If possible, keep her, she's bulletproof

Thanks for the Reply Wally! I'm going to see about getting a battery tomorrow then! I was looking on the Holeshot website... well, I've been looking on there ever since I got the bike. 5yrs ago...doh! I want to get that exhaust off there. It's way too quiet. I don't need no stinking catalytic converter, I'm hoping anyways... I don't want a ringdingdingdingding sound. I know those 4 cylinders can sound pretty throaty.

Lots to think about..I don't need more power... but we do have a nice drag strip just a few miles from here...lol. Going from my Death Bed to the drag strip....my wife would kill me first...heehee! A new seat, new bars, new foot pegs...lol. I guess it just feels good to feel good for a change!

Thanks !
John

...Something else I was wanting to try to fix are the foot pegs. I know there are quite a few threads here and there about them. I'm a tall guy with big feet. A lot of you know the story...John

John - glad you're on the mend and ready to get back on there. Check out these sites for some foot peg/shifter lever options -

http://www.knightdesignllc.com/Prod...uzuki_Bandit_GSF1250_1in_Front_Foot_Pegs.html

http://shop.metrickmetal.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=35

The latter site owner posts here, but you might find more current information on the MaximumS forum, which if you're not familiar with it is a great Bandit resource. Here's a link about his adjustable shifter lever -

http://www.maximum-suzuki.com/forums/index.php?topic=93801.0

Well things never go as planned for me. One step forward,two steps back... Nothing like a little thing like congestive heart failure to ruin your day. Finally got a new battery a couple days ago but the fuel system is going to need cleaned, tank cleaned and sealed and fuel pump probably. Not sure this is ever going to work out but by God I am not giving up. Went back to the dealer to get the battery.... They had a bunch of nice bikes sitting in there but I don't fit on any of them. I have a 36" inseam and my legs just get in the way.... Funny, as a kid I was always worried about being short and fat. 6'3" isn't all that tall but if only my torso was longer and not my legs. If this doesn't work out.... I'm taking the front end off and building a reverse trike.

Well things never go as planned for me. One step forward,two steps back... Nothing like a little thing like congestive heart failure to ruin your day. Finally got a new battery a couple days ago but the fuel system is going to need cleaned, tank cleaned and sealed and fuel pump probably. Not sure this is ever going to work out but by God I am not giving up. Went back to the dealer to get the battery.... They had a bunch of nice bikes sitting in there but I don't fit on any of them. I have a 36" inseam and my legs just get in the way.... Funny, as a kid I was always worried about being short and fat. 6'3" isn't all that tall but if only my torso was longer and not my legs. If this doesn't work out.... I'm taking the front end off and building a reverse trike.
hang in there john. one day at a time. if you're looking for a bike to fit you in the future, v-strom, tenere, tiger, f800gs will do the trick. :-P

Hey Duchess! Yeah done been down the KLR...Vstrom trail.... Had the KLR and Vstrom 650's each about a year... I'm done buying. Going to make this one work or I will just give up. Now I'm feeling like I'm starting from scratch having to work on a bike I should have at least stored properly....

Thanks
J

Well I have had experience with an improperly stored bike as I bought an 01 model that had the same issues you stated so if need any advice let me know.

Do the flip mod for the foot pegs. I'm close to your inseam and it worked wonders. It took me about 20 minutes with minimal tools.

Check your tires closely for dry rot. Ride carefully if they look ok and you're going to keep them. The tires are about 6 years old now so they aren't soft and super grippy like they were when new. On the fortunate (or unfortunate) side, the tires that came on the '09 model year don't last long so you won't have to ride very long to wear them out to justify getting new ones. I had to replace my stock rear tire at 2,800 miles.

If you're on a budget, I'd suggest shopping ebay to get used parts from crashed bikes. Factory new Suzuki parts cost a lot and it will add up quickly if you have to get a fuel pump, injectors, and whatever else.

It probably goes without saying since you're an experience mechanic, but change all of the fluids before riding.

I'd suggest keeping the Bandit and getting it running. You will take a huge loss if you trade it in and its not running. You'll enjoy the Bandit once get you back on it.

John: Did you remember to re-set the clock after changing the battery? Did ya get a "Tender"? And are ya doing OK? Hope so to all 3! Get that girl back on the road! And new rubber helps too. Pictures. We need pictures, too!

Thanks guys! Got the Smelly tank off last night... Haven't pulled the pump unit out of it yet to get a good look inside. Wow with the tank off a whole lot of the mystery is gone. Fuel rail and injectors don't look to hard to get at. Yeah I plan to change the fluids for sure. A service manual and wiring diagram would be a good thing to have around.

I was reading about flipping the pegs... Will my big feet still fit the shifter? I saw where one of the guys on here is making an adjustable one.

I don't plan to do too much riding on these tires... You guys have a favorite? I don't really see long trips in my future. And yeah unfortunately the budget is an issue. Wife still works but I'm on disability. Getting a small pension from the Machinists union. It sucks but I'm still here!

Lol...I gotta tell you Wally I guess the dealer had the clock set. I don't know how it's done,yet!

Can't exactly say I'm glad about the resale value but never wanted to part ways with the bike. Wife's been doggin' me about it.

I have good days and bad days with the health issues.... I need to go back to see my heart surgeon. I had my aortic valve replaced for the second time in August of 13' and 2 months later apparently popped a stitch. Leaking pressure around the outside of the valve back into my heart. If I lay off all things salty I do pretty well... They got me on these darn water pills and they keep me hopping. Lol, have to laugh sometimes,I think, to keep from crying!
I've got great Docs and they've saved my life on several occasions now. Most days you'd never know I ever had anything wrong....as long as I keep my shirt on so you can't see the scars. If the fluid builds up I get really short of breath just walking. I haven't been back yet because I just got tired of all the pokin,prodding and cutting. Both surgeries were emergencies where I had no choice. Everything is stable and I just didn't want to push my luck with a third procedure! But,it's getting real old not knowing day to day how I'm going to feel.. Sorry for Rambling... Been feeling much better since I have been on the water pills and learning to eat with as little salt as possible but that's getting real old too.

Time to get this bike going and "get busy living" with whatever time the good Lord gives me.

Appreciate you guys replies to my post!

Thanks
John

Oh boy what a mess! Not sure the fuel gauge will ever work again... Sock on the pump has disintegrated.... Just a huge rust bucket. I don't know that I'll be able to save the paint which is mint. Thinking I wanted to go flat black anyways....

Oh boy what a mess! Not sure the fuel gauge will ever work again... Sock on the pump has disintegrated.... Just a huge rust bucket. I don't know that I'll be able to save the paint which is mint. Thinking I wanted to go flat black anyways....

pictures?

I had a moped once with a rusty tank so I brought it to a radiator repair shop. They put it in their cleaning tank and it came out spotless. Yes it removes the paint but its an inexpensive and easy method with no elbow grease needed. The biggest hassle of it is trying to find a radiator repair shop these days.

For your sake, I'm hoping someone will make a post who has a good solution to tank cleaning without sacrificing the paint. I just google'd it and didn't come up with a good, reliable, and easy solution for you.

Once you get it running don't for get to change the tires out for fresh ones. The old ones that are on there are going to be hard as a rock and slick as snot.

Thanks for the tip... Gonna work on flipping them...didn't find much on levers. Got some machinist friends... Gonna have to work something out...

Wow does apple cider vinegar ever eat rust.... Sorry pics. I put a couple of gallons in the tank and within a couple hours it was dissolving the heck out of the rust. I'm going to go get 5 more gallons tomorrow and fill it completely full. Sure beats the heck out of using stronger acids. Going to soak it for a few days then empty it and see if it got it all. Wash it out best I can with a good degreaser.... Then phosphoric acid followed by electrolysis and Red kote... May not do the electrolysis but the "Washing Soda" in the electrolyte will neutralize the acid from vinegar and phosphoric acid. Should be any damage to the paint.

Since I work on "classics" I was going to mention a old trick for cleaning the inside of gas tanks.
Throw a bunch of nuts and washers in there with some gas ,or fluid of choice, and slosh it around for several minutes a day. Rinse with gas and repeat till it's nice and shiney.

So I filled the tank completely full and left it for a day and half... emptied the vinegar out and the washed the tank out with Dawn dish soap. Then dried the inside good with my heat gun... after close examination it's pretty sparkling inside. I was going to seal it but decided to coat the inside with 2 stroke oil. I may end up selling the bike. The tank really did look awesome inside. I've got some rare earth magnets and I'm going to put one in the bottom of the tank to catch any rust in the future tho I don't think it'll happen again. Now to order a new fuel pump.

So you didn't end up having to mess the paint up after all. Good news. I bet after you get her back together and on the road you will enjoy the ride and keep her around for a few more seasons. Flip the pegs, get some new rubber, and enjoy that thing. Now, if you do decide to sell her, that bike is on mine as well as others wish list. Be hard to pass up for me anyway.

Back