• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Delkevic header installed

af240z

Reaction score
OK, it was definitely more of a pain in the rear than it should have been. It was $305 shipped, which is very fair compared to $700 holeshot or arrow headers. It is definitely at least 10 lbs lighter than OEM header

Things that annoyed me and may help others resolve possible issues in the future:

1. The collector sits too close to the mount point, resulting in yoshimura rs3 pipe hitting the swing arm. By putting a spacer between the collector and the mount point, the issue's resolved. No additional cost

2. first fit resulted in #2 header pipe not lining up, and once it was forced, I could not line up the collector mount point, as it was 3/4" off. I changed my tactics (see below)

3. I ground out the weld burrs in #2 pipe collector on the inside, and cleaned out the rest of the collector flange welds on the inside. I managed to get an extra 1/8 to 1/4" of the pipes to fit in.

4. I decided that it's a lot easier to loosely mount the collector with pipes 1 and 2 installed (as springs are a pain to put on from the other side), and then slid pipes 3 and 4 in, and installed the springs

5. Slip on is slightly deviated from original location, but this isn't crucial. It was initially hitting the swing arm until I spaced out the collector mount and suzuki frame mount by about 1/2".

A45kqKc.jpg

Overall, it took me longer than anticipated to get this installed. Is it worth saving $400 with the amount of labor and modifications I had to make? yes.

I haven't fired it up yet, as I still need to fill the oil, hook up cooling system, remove secondary butterflies, hack up the airbox to finish stage 2 holeshot mod, and re-sync the throttlebodies and check TPS position

Being a Delkevic slip on owner I'm not dissing them or anything but come on! I'm guessing they designed it on a test bike but then didn't go back after making the final changes!? **** I'm gonna wait a bit longer before getting it then again my suspension and brakes come 1st and that still hasn't been sorted yet! lol Winter is almost here so once it gets really cold and the snow/sand are around shes going into hibernation aka get stuff done time! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like you had as much fun as I did. Delkevic had to send me another single downpipe as one of the originals was too far out to install.
The replacement had to be seriously manipulated to get that to fit too.
I got around the misalignment of the slip-on by extending the gooseneck pipe joining the slip-on to the collector (my Yoshi was hitting the swingarm too, even though the stock muffler fiit like a glove).
Was worth it in the end though, even if I didn't think so at the time.
I never removed the radiator though. Just tied it back enough to get to the headers.

The only way I could get mine to fit was to grind the inside of all the of openings in the collector so that the pipes would slide in easily and all burrs removed (a bob or flapper wheel will work). Then I loose fitted all the pipes into the matching openings and marked them with a felt marker when they were fully inserted. Then put the exhaust gaskets and pipes into the head so that the bolts were all snug, but I could still swivel the pipes. Then I put the hi temp silicone inside the collector and drove the collector onto the pipes right up to the marks on the pipes with a rubber mallet. Then I tightened the bolts in the head. I had to use a pry bar to get the collector bolt to line up, but there are no leaks and it made a big difference in performance. The engine spools up much quicker at all rpm and there is a noticeable increase in both HP and torque. Well worth the $300.00 + dollars.

Attachments

• P1000315.jpg
    P1000315.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 208
  • P1000316.jpg
    P1000316.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 190
  • P1000317.jpg
    P1000317.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 201
  • P1000318.jpg
    P1000318.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 216
I have a question. How did you attach those Springs? These Delkevic springs are too stiff.

If you have to pound the header pipes into the collector, maybe I don't need the springs.

I wish I could load photos.
Anyway, these Delkevic Springs are NOT true springs. I stretched them first and they grew in length about an inch and lost their stiffness.
My Delkevic kit went together without a Rubber Mallet. I think Delkevic has updated the Kit's fitment.

My springs are definitely keeping tension on the pipes. The second set had 8 attachment points, while the first set they sent the collector only had 2 and the header pipes had one each so there were 2 springs on an angle to one point on the collector and it pulled the pipes at an angle, which didn't help the fitment any. The new way is much better....one attachment point for each end of the spring. In my case the spring wouldn't pull the header in, I had to convince it with a rubber mallet, but it will keep it from vibrating loose.

Back