• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Delkevic header question

af240z

Reaction score
Silly question: there aren't any instructions with the header, and it came with a tube of red paste. Is this a threadlocker or is it for something else?

Squeeze out a dab and rub it between your fingers, if its anti seize you will easily be able to tell. Will have some metallic like pieces in it and very slippery. If threadlocker it will be very liquid and would be permanent lock tite being red so no use for it anywhere on an exhaust. I've never seen red anti seize.

Most likely it is high temperature sealant for header pipe to muffler slip fit.

_

My guess is anti-seize for the header bolts.

:eek2: NOOOOOO!!!!! Don't put this stuff on your header bolts!!! It is exhaust sealant, to be used at the joints. Spread a thin bead on the inside pipe, slip the parts together, then tighten the clamp. I just bought a set of Delkevic slip-ons. While the instruction were horribly incomplete, they did specifically say what was in the tube and how to use it.

:eek2: NOOOOOO!!!!! Don't put this stuff on your header bolts!!! It is exhaust sealant, to be used at the joints. Spread a thin bead on the inside pipe, slip the parts together, then tighten the clamp. I just bought a set of Delkevic slip-ons. While the instruction were horribly incomplete, they did specifically say what was in the tube and how to use it.

I just read my install instructions again. This was from Dale Walkers header not the Delkevic....I am not saying the "tube of red stuff" is the same. Per Dale's instructions, it says put the "thread sealant" on the bolts. They also say put it on at the joint between the slip-on and the header. No problems here.

I didn't even get instructions!

Only thing in the box i got was the headers.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nov4T8fbxYE&list=TLsM2r-qZWwIVhT8d-mVsB4i7zT7oB89kZ"]Yoshi with Delkevic SS Headers - YouTube[/ame]

It is high temp sealant (possible silicone)...I asked Delkevic.

I got a Delkevic header kit last month. They were out of the paste. I ordered WURT exhaust assembly paste. It looks like toothpaste then sets up like concrete. It is rated for 1292 degrees. I haven't installed it. I'm looking for a tool to install those stiff header springs.

That should work as long as it doesn't get brittle as the engine vibration will crack if it does. You can get the reddish colored high temp silicon at any auto supply store, and it will work for sure and stay flexible.

Back