• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

what's goin on ?

Reaction score
I'm asking this question while its fresh on my mind. this is the third time its happened. I'm accelerating and after I put it in sixth the throttle doesn't respond. So I'm losing speed, I downshift to fifth give it the gas and it responds as it should. I continue on as if nothing happened. runs great. What the heck is going on? the bike is a 07 bandit with just a little over 5,ooo miles. yup it was a garage queen. Can anyone tell me whats going on and how do I fix it? thank you, Gary.

I'm asking this question while its fresh on my mind. this is the third time its happened. I'm accelerating and after I put it in sixth the throttle doesn't respond. So I'm losing speed, I downshift to fifth give it the gas and it responds as it should. I continue on as if nothing happened. runs great. What the heck is going on? the bike is a 07 bandit with just a little over 5,ooo miles. yup it was a garage queen. Can anyone tell me whats going on and how do I fix it? thank you, Gary.

has this been happening since you acquired the bike, or did this problem just pop up.

I would think a fuel problem would show in all gears and not come and go. I would look to the wiring and pickup coming off the transmission. I'm sure Scotty can elaborate on this much more than I. Not too many places he has not torn down and put together on his bike.

Yeah it's odd that it happens when hitting sixth. This is something else.

I would think a fuel problem would show in all gears and not come and go. I would look to the wiring and pickup coming off the transmission. I'm sure Scotty can elaborate on this much more than I. Not too many places he has not torn down and put together on his bike.

Hmm....watch this space..... :ponder:

As I said , the start of a fuel blockage. Most that have had to clean out the pump have stated it first appeared as a hesitation in top gear.

Doesn't hurt to give it a good cleaning, and the odds over here at least, is that bad fuel, or containents in the tank is usually the problem.

Cleaning the pump is also a no cost repair, even if it does not fix the problem, at least you haven't spent money on a new regulator, or ECU or gear sensor.

thanks one and all. after reading another post I was thinking it might be the fuel pump. any chance putting a regular carb cleaner and sea foam in might clean it out? already dumped in some sea foam, its good stuff even if it doesn't help with this. thanks again, Gary.

Reminds me of a problem I had on a MerCruiser. 2 minutes on plane and it would stall. I finally discovered so much debris floating around the tank, that it would collect all over the pickup filter until it blocked flow enough to stall the motor. Solution was to buy a dozen clear fuel filters, remove the pickup screen "sock", and replace filters regularly until enough of the trash had been filtered out.

Okay...You win. I backtrack my words. :giveup: If it was my bike then I would take your advice here. With your last comment you have convinced me to do a clean on my own '07 as a precautionary measure. As you say it doesn't hurt and symptoms first appear in final gear and I have done some searching on threads about this problem and it seems that gunk in the tank is the most common cause with symptoms first appearing when giving the bike some WOT in final gear.
Hmm....watch this space..... :ponder:

As I said , the start of a fuel blockage. Most that have had to clean out the pump have stated it first appeared as a hesitation in top gear.

Doesn't hurt to give it a good cleaning, and the odds over here at least, is that bad fuel, or containents in the tank is usually the problem.

Cleaning the pump is also a no cost repair, even if it does not fix the problem, at least you haven't spent money on a new regulator, or ECU or gear sensor.

seeing as this bike was a garage queen, I'm thinking varnish, not gunk in the tank. also the po had two mustangs in his garage that looked pristine. the bandit, except for dust, was also very clean . my wondering if some carb cleaner would solve the problem is a reflection of that. I expected somebody to tell me that the bike didn't have carbs :-P anyway only way to find out is to do it.

A couple over this side of the pond that have had this problem didn't get any joy out of just using carb/injector cleaner.

I think you'll find that if the bike has been sitting for long periods you'll have contaminants and gunk in the tank. You might be lucky to dislodge some out of the pump plumbing with the carb cleaner, but unless you clean the tank there's a fair chance it will come back. One member over here picked up a good looking bike, freshly painted, but they forgot to mask off the fuel inlet, paint got inside and then that started flaking off, another found bark of a tree inside the tank, it's amazing what can get in.

Take your tank off and strain the contents through a white cloth, you'll be able to tell easily from the resulting stain what if anything has been in the fuel.

I think changing the tea-bag fuel filter has also been helpful, there was also a thread somewhere (I believe it was referencing V-Stroms but the principle if not the actual parts are the same) where someone changed the tea-bag to a replacable glass type fuel filter.

barry_mcki, thank you for the ideas. I admit I'm reluctant to get into the tank, but will if it looks necessary. ran fine yesterday. Its at a full tank now just crossed my mind if that might make a difference. thanks again, Gary.

Try this: Take a high pressure air hose and blow out the vent hole in the gas cap.

It's free and it might work.

Worked for me on an old '97 Ducati Monster.

Back