• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Star Tron Fuel Additive

kiko

Reaction score
I'll be storing a bike for about 4 months at a time. Since it is fuel injected, I am concerned about gas/ethanol damaging the fuel pump. This product was recommended by the local dealer. I've tried StaBil in the past in an older bike and ended up with some pin holes in the gas tank so I am looking for an alternative product.

Anyone have any first hand experience with Starbrite Star Tron products?

http://mystarbrite.com/startron//content/view/14/37/lang,en/

Any other suggestions??

I use it. It is supposed to slow down the separation of the alcohol and gas. Seems to not cause a problem. And I haven't had an issue with the gas in the tank where I've used it. Had a carb gunk up, but that was due to evaporation not fuel separation.

So, either it is doing its job or it is benign snake oil.

I've used it for several years and it seems to do what it says. I add it to my pre-mix for 2-strokes and all my 4-strokes. TSC had it on sale recently for 5.99 for the 8 0z bottle.

Any other suggestions??
Our fuel injected 650R sits for months at a time. Matter of fact - it had been well over a year since we started it before a few weeks ago. And it fires up without issue every time we get around to riding it. Heck - even the KX450F starts (although it takes several kicks) - it runs Chevron premium but the others are Chevron regular. I never use any stabilzer products in any of the bikes, but I also never run grocery store gas or other off-brands. Maybe I've just been lucky. YMMV...

Best price I've found is Lowes in the lawn mower dept.

It's like $6.99 - some other places are double

Use it in my F800gs and it works the base is naphtha I think, I need to look at the MSD sheet. With the enzyme added to the base, one thing I did notice is there is no carbon deposit at the tailpipe.

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Our fuel injected 650R sits for months at a time. Matter of fact - it had been well over a year since we started it before a few weeks ago. And it fires up without issue every time we get around to riding it. Heck - even the KX450F starts (although it takes several kicks) - it runs Chevron premium but the others are Chevron regular. I never use any stabilzer products in any of the bikes, but I also never run grocery store gas or other off-brands. Maybe I've just been lucky. YMMV...[/QUOTE

Chevron fuel has their additive "Techton" in it and I like that gas. Some Texaco stations have fuel with that additive in it also. I wish we had a Chevron ststation Temple.

I bought my first FI truck in 1988 from Desert Toyota in Tucson while stationed at Fort Huiachua, AZ. Within 1100 miles, the truck was stalling and I took it back and the dealer asked me what brand fuel I was using. I told him it was the "White Tank" at the PX service station and he told me the injectors were clogged. The service mgr told me about Chevron and Techtron and to stay away from bad gas. They checked the fuel filters and put some inector cleaner in the tank and I drove the vehicle for 16 yrs. No more Huachuca PX gas.

I noticed that the baffles and tip on my DR are also much cleaner since I started using Startron(an earlier poster mentioned that also)

Is Star tron necessary as an additive when the bike is being ridden on a regular basis and not in storage?

I'll be storing a bike for about 4 months at a time. Since it is fuel injected, I am concerned about gas/ethanol damaging the fuel pump. This product was recommended by the local dealer. I've tried StaBil in the past in an older bike and ended up with some pin holes in the gas tank so I am looking for an alternative product.

Anyone have any first hand experience with Starbrite Star Tron products?

http://mystarbrite.com/startron//content/view/14/37/lang,en/

Any other suggestions??

I don't if Stabil CAUSED the tank to develop pin holes. I have also heard Seafoam is another very good stabilizer, especially on carbed motorcycles.

RB

All my understanding is based on reading the interwebbs.....:eek2: so take it for what it is worth:sun:

Apparently it helps prevent some of the plastic tank issues found on the Ducati and Guzzi's - where the ethanol bound water is what attacks and weakens the tank, causing the distortion - supposedly by breaking up the globs of ethanol/water into smaller bits

Heck - I don't know....a lot of this stuff seems to be placebo effect.

But I did buy some as my soon to be delivered bike has a plastic tank

Chevron fuel has their additive "Techton" in it and I like that gas. Some Texaco stations have fuel with that additive in it also. I wish we had a Chevron ststation Temple.
Yes - Techron is the additive found in all Chevron gas grades. This is the fuel Porsche recommends for their engines. If I remember correctly, I believe Techron is only found in Texaco's Premium grade, but I could be mistaken... Seems I read that somewhere...

I quit using grocery store gas the first time I changed oil in the Hayabusa. It was NASTY black after only 1500 miles. I thought that odd at the time and then wondered why on earth I would put crappy gas in the Hayabusa, but run Chevron in all the cars. So I switched to Chevron in the bikes and the oil was MUCH cleaner there after.

Forgot to add that I first read about Startron in Dirt Bike magazine. They had nothing but good to say about it. Can't recall if the product is a big advertiser in the magazine.

old-fashioned moth balls are napthalene, a have a mechanic out here in the woods who swears by them. anybody else heard of that? i ran a tank of gas with, i think he said one moth ball per gallon. he put them in it when he worked on the bike (a '84 virago 700.) i didn't notice any ill effects.

old-fashioned moth balls are napthalene, a have a mechanic out here in the woods who swears by them. anybody else heard of that? i ran a tank of gas with, i think he said one moth ball per gallon. he put them in it when he worked on the bike (a '84 virago 700.) i didn't notice any ill effects.

I have heard of the moth ball use, but didn't understand what they actually are to know how (in)sane it was. Is the whole moth ball napthalene or is it napthalene-soaked something?

Startron gets 5 stars from me and several friends who use it.
I have had 3 friends had engine problems blamed on topping off their tanks with ethanol laced gasoline. They were very expensive, too. I emptied all my tanks and bought Chevron 91 octane and used Startron after reading about it in Classic Motorcycle magazine. I have had no problems. I did this just after heart surgery October 1st, when I had to park my many running motorcycles, 2 generators and 1 lawnmower for over 3 months during the winter. I am still running on some of the gas, including my 75 Norton, which was getting very hard to start before I used Startron. The reviews on the internet were nearly unanimous in their praise. It is only for fresh gas, not to restore bad gas. It is used in marine applications where partially filled 100 gallon tanks have to contend with damp weather and long periods between use. My neighbor put it in his 74 restored MGB, and was able to advance his timing 4 degrees without pinging. My friend is an expert on MGB timing and carbs. He is very impressed and is using it in his motorcycles, too.

I use Startron in every tank of every piece of equipment or motorcycle I own. I never have to worry if I am going to park a bike or lawnmower for 5 days or 5 months. I am not smart enough to understand to science but I know it works based on my own non-scientific daily use.

After looking a Winsur4's garage in above post, I would think that he knows what he's talking about. I'm going to pick up a few bottles today at Tractor Supply. On sale until the end of the month at 5.99. I'll dump it in the tank whenever I'm off the saddle for a month or more.

I became concerned for my old bikes when I could no longer buy Ethanol free gas. StarTron was my choice after reading their add, and going to their website. I then read every review not associated with their website I could find. The success in the marine applications looks impressive. The 2 bikes that sustained engine damage attributable to old E10 gas were certified for use with E10. Neither were high mileage and were manufactured since 2007. They both topped up their tanks after most rides in the theory that a full tank can not get much condensation because there is little surface area exposed. Both rode infrequently over about 6 months time. I used to do that on all my vintage bikes. Over the 50 years I have owned motorcycles, I had done this to keep from getting a rusty tank. It works pretty well. However, topping a tank over time with E10 apparently can concentrate the heavier water laced fuel at the bottom of the tank. Both the aforementioned bikes were dual sports with accessory tanks, which could easily concentrate heavier fluid in the way the tanks are built. Both spent over $1000 for repairs. What we really need is to stop the government which is **** bent to increase ethanol to up to 15% in fuel, and reverse this trend where there is nearly no place to buy Ethanol free gas.

I became concerned for my old bikes when I could no longer buy Ethanol free gas. StarTron was my choice after reading their add, and going to their website. I then read every review not associated with their website I could find. The success in the marine applications looks impressive. The 2 bikes that sustained engine damage attributable to old E10 gas were certified for use with E10. Neither were high mileage and were manufactured since 2007. They both topped up their tanks after most rides in the theory that a full tank can not get much condensation because there is little surface area exposed. Both rode infrequently over about 6 months time. I used to do that on all my vintage bikes. Over the 50 years I have owned motorcycles, I had done this to keep from getting a rusty tank. It works pretty well. However, topping a tank over time with E10 apparently can concentrate the heavier water laced fuel at the bottom of the tank. Both the aforementioned bikes were dual sports with accessory tanks, which could easily concentrate heavier fluid in the way the tanks are built. Both spent over $1000 for repairs. What we really need is to stop the government which is **** bent to increase ethanol to up to 15% in fuel, and reverse this trend where there is nearly no place to buy Ethanol free gas.

You GO boy! :clap::clap:

Whoever the genius was that decided to use our food supplies for fuel was......well liberal I guess.. :miffed:

I know this isn't a political thread but I couldn't resist. :twisted:

P-Ratt, napthalene is the only ingredient listed. i never saw any ill effects, but neither did i notice a great improvement. i imagine a product made specifically for the problem would be safer.

You GO boy! :clap::clap:

Whoever the genius was that decided to use our food supplies for fuel was......well liberal I guess.. :miffed:

I know this isn't a political thread but I couldn't resist. :twisted:

I don't know about liberal, as it seems to linger through all types of party affiliations. No one wants to aggravate Iowa as they are the first stop on the presidential primary run. They benefit greatly from the increased corn sales and politicians benefit greatly by keeping their mouths shut.

P-Ratt, napthalene is the only ingredient listed. i never saw any ill effects, but neither did i notice a great improvement. i imagine a product made specifically for the problem would be safer.

Naphtha is used in octane boosters and cleaners and can take several forms depending on how it is refined. I suspect it is used as solvent for gelled gas and as a delivery agent for the proprietary enzyme in Star Tron. It is mind boggling that one ounce can treat up to 16 gallons and that 95% of it is naphtha. I use a medicine dropper to put 1/4 oz in my Vstrom tank or when I make up a 5 gallon batch. I just know it works from experience.

Don't all carburetors have a drain screw? I just drain all the fuel out of the bottom of the carb via a drain screw after every ride. No burden of using additive.

Back