• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Semi-permanent SHNF thread

No limits for old guys check ...and rechecked

I went out Friday with Rsquared, forest is dry, sandy, hot, and fast! get you some while it's good!

Trails totally dry now. Some big, dry mudholes. Trails are typical summer treat, deep sand and whoops with an occasion root(not many,ha).

ODODB CRASH VIDEO 9 - How we spend our time on the SHNF trails!!!!

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbmWLOKRqI0"]ODODB Crash Video 9 - YouTube[/ame]

This a PSA for everyone.
11836629_10208225855583194_17219489812145151_n.jpg

FYI===2016 SHNF bike stickers are now available at Cycle Shack North in Conroe

fyi GUYs====FAT BIKE RACE (Bicycles)

Hi Larry.

We are doing another bike race on October 11 2015 starting at the East side
trailhead at 9am.
We will also have a demo day on October 10th 2015.

If you could spread the word that bicycles will be working the trails and riding on the Fatbike course it would be appreciated.

The course will be from the East side trailhead Sandy to Boy Scout to Fern back to the trailhead.

Thank You
David Mackey

Last edited:
Wanted to ride SHNF tomorrow with my wife. All the dealers around here are out of Texas Offroad stickers. Honda dealer says they will have some end of next week. That doesn't help me any.

Fwiw, never been checked(although I'm legal). Then again it's a holiday. Tough call.

Wanted to ride SHNF tomorrow with my wife. All the dealers around here are out of Texas Offroad stickers. Honda dealer says they will have some end of next week. That doesn't help me any.

I'm probably going to Cravens in the Kisatchie next Sat, won't need one there. About the same drive from Groves.

Last edited:
Has anyone has ridden a Free Ride in the Forest?
What's your opinion?
Just wondering if the trail is too fast for it.

Last edited:
Has anyone has ridden a Free Ride in the Forest?
Just wondering if the trail is too fast for it.

Trail too fast? no way. I don't think I've ever gotten out of 3rd gear in the forest more than a handful of times. I never gear my bikes down though. When I bought my 300 it was geared down and I hated it. First gear was completely useless. Going back to stock gearing let me ride all day in 2nd and 3rd gear.

_

Just the impression I got from TT is that FR is only good for technical trails (which SHNF is not) and is out of its element on faster trails (like SHNF). And some guy claim at 50 mph on the road, the bike was too scary to ride; so no dualsporting this bike.

Last edited:
"The mountain is high, the valley is low and you're confused as to which way to go."

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWpND8GhBuU"]FREE RIDE - Edgar Winter Group - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
Hugh SUCCESS on our work day on the west side trails in the SHNF TWT! Had 40 participants show and 19 of those were sawyers, so we cleaned the Kelly's Pond, Honeymoon, and Woodpecker trails completely of fallen trees before lunch. Unfortunately, the grasses and over growth were plentiful along with some newly made rutting in the trails. Then after lunch we worked on the N Balloon and String, but were overwhelmed by the sheer number of fallen trees in that area. Made a good dent in them but was way to many to finish that job in an afternoon.

West side trails are open and getting beat in very well, have fun guys

Kelly's Pond ride

Saturday November 7th 8am-12pm

"CALL BEFORE YOU HAUL"
SHNF 1-888-361-6908 ext 2

So I am thinking of taking the family down here over Thanksgiving for some camping (tent), mt biking and of course dirt biking.

I have never been. We've got 4 little kids (ages 2-8). Kids all have bikes and ride the trails by us. I am the only one with a dirt bike.

I would like to camp somewhere that we can ride right from camp is this possible? We'll be tent camping.

Also looking for any other "local" advice.

Edit: Looking on the websites and spoke with someone at the park. She said Kelly's Pond is closest to dirt bike stuff, and Double Lake is best option for MT Bike. However Double lake is booked out that whole weekend. How "primative" is Kelly's pond, and do I stand a chance of getting a sport there Thur (Thanksgiving) & Friday night???

Last edited:
freeride98, I would suggest KELLY's POND for camping and being able to ride from camp site. This is the only trailhead that has that option. Probably be very busy after Thanksgiving with lots of dirt bikes and hunters. Bicycles on these trails with small kids could be dangerous as dirt bikes are moving fairly quick down them. There is roads around to ride and can bicycle down to the lake Conroe from there without having to go down a highway. There's a few dirt roads in that area also but all are dead ends, hardly any traffic. Stubblefield lake campground is not far from there also, can bicycle out of there on paved and dirt roads, but have to haul your dirt bike to west side trailhead or Kelly's pond to hit the trails. If you'd like to see what the trails look like, go to youtube and I've posted a lot of our trail rides under ODODB SHNF or join the Old Dudes on Dirt Bikes group and videos are posted under the past rides on the ODODB calendar. FREE to join ODODB.

Last edited:
freeride98, I would suggest KELLY's POND for camping and being able to ride from camp site. This is the only trailhead that has that option. Probably be very busy after Thanksgiving with lots of dirt bikes and hunters. Bicycles on these trails with small kids could be dangerous as dirt bikes are moving fairly quick down them. There is roads around to ride and can bicycle down to the lake Conroe from there without having to go down a highway. There's a few dirt roads in that area also but all are dead ends, hardly any traffic. Stubblefield lake campground is not far from there also, can bicycle out of there on paved and dirt roads, but have to haul your dirt bike to west side trailhead or Kelly's pond to hit the trails. If you'd like to see what the trails look like, go to youtube and I've posted a lot of our trail rides under ODODB SHNF or join the Old Dudes on Dirt Bikes group and videos are posted under the past rides on the ODODB calendar. FREE to join ODODB.

Thank you! I would be fine peddling around with the kids just on the roads. We just want to get out of the city and enjoy ourselves. I wonder how crazy it will be on Friday and Saturday. I would think Thursday would be pretty mellow.

What are the fee's associated with camping and access?

Man the riding down there look fantastic!!

Last edited:
Back