• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

MexTrek, Oct 22-25, 2008

Hey Yall.

Made it to Galeana this afternoon and have taken over the town square. :-P There are about 50 of us here, having a great time. The weather is fantastic and the riding is even better than that.

We have had a few bike casualties, but no human casualties that I know of.

Later...

Good to hear Richard. I am headed into Mexico again this weekend. Hopefully one of these days I will be able to join your group on one of these aventuras.

Saludos,

Mike

Hola Mextrexonians

I am in Matehuala and doing fine

The most interesting thing is the laughter I get from Army checkpiont soldiers. The ask about the bailing wire, duct tape, paste, JB weld zip ties and dried animal feces holding the moto together.

I myself look like the result of a auto recyling plant, the square block of compressed metal. But I was born that way so no love lost.

Walking around, getting on and off the bike is hard, but when riding I honestly feel no pain at all. The perfect position.

I soon discovered that I landed on my camera in the crash, but it only broke apart to a point and still worked, and I have ALL the photos from the trip on the SanDisk.

Have been walking with support (and the Mexican pharmacy system) but doing better every day.

Hank missed a donkey on MX 200 north of Playa Azul by a whisker. ooh la la pucker pucker.

Went to Guanajuato and relived some great memories from that amazing town.

My amigos were pulled over by the Federal Police but had many laughes with them. Trust me the police are not interested in Gringos but will chat all day about motorcycles.

Remember this phrase...No Fumar Espanol...I dont smoke spanish...

The bike was overhauled in PV by Hank and I. Tossed lots of metal in the hotel trash.

Bent fork and mostly non important issues

Major casualty in the crash was my ego. I was no Steve McQueen in Great Escape.

Contents of left side case being held together by shipping strap

Huge impact bruse on left hip, left foot purple, knuckles on left glove worn down to leather. Lower back medicated.

Big smile on face. The crash fairy can kiss me.

Its not IF but WHEN, wear your gear

Google Patzcuaro. YOU ALL MUST GO THERE. Went to Isla Janitzio nearby, epicenter of Nov 2 Dia de los Muertos celebrations for all of Mexico.

I am returning to MX in Feb. Running the coast to Mahahual. On a donkey if I have to.

Wish I was back in Galeana but spouse wants to confirm my reports of well being.

Friday night will be in La Posada in Laredo, leaving Sat morning for S.A. If you are in Laredo Fri night big botella de vino tinto on Roberto Loco.

Saludos and wish I was with you all

Major ride report in the works....

Bob

tricepilot,

Glad to hear you are in such good spirits. Many of us have been following your SPOT and your posts. Can't wait for the trip report. I'll be riding through S.A. on Sunday on my way to Cuatrocienegas and back thru on Thursday. Glad you are healing up nicely.

Mike

Oh man that sounds like quite a crash. And no hitting Mexican donkeys on KLRs. Shades of Ozy from ADV... :uhoh:

Well, gotta head home today. I have had a great time. The riding here has to be experienced to be believed. On Thursday I discovered my favorite road ever.

Have had some good conversation with some of the local business owners and they are eager for us to return.

Next year is gonna be even better.

Hola Mextrexonians

I am in Matehuala and doing fine

The most interesting thing is the laughter I get from Army checkpiont soldiers. The ask about the bailing wire, duct tape, paste, JB weld zip ties and dried animal feces holding the moto together.

I myself look like the result of a auto recyling plant, the square block of compressed metal. But I was born that way so no love lost.

Walking around, getting on and off the bike is hard, but when riding I honestly feel no pain at all. The perfect position.

I soon discovered that I landed on my camera in the crash, but it only broke apart to a point and still worked, and I have ALL the photos from the trip on the SanDisk.

Have been walking with support (and the Mexican pharmacy system) but doing better every day.

Hank missed a donkey on MX 200 north of Playa Azul by a whisker. ooh la la pucker pucker.

Went to Guanajuato and relived some great memories from that amazing town.

My amigos were pulled over by the Federal Police but had many laughes with them. Trust me the police are not interested in Gringos but will chat all day about motorcycles.

Remember this phrase...No Fumar Espanol...I dont smoke spanish...

The bike was overhauled in PV by Hank and I. Tossed lots of metal in the hotel trash.

Bent fork and mostly non important issues

Major casualty in the crash was my ego. I was no Steve McQueen in Great Escape.

Contents of left side case being held together by shipping strap

Huge impact bruse on left hip, left foot purple, knuckles on left glove worn down to leather. Lower back medicated.

Big smile on face. The crash fairy can kiss me.

Its not IF but WHEN, wear your gear

Google Patzcuaro. YOU ALL MUST GO THERE. Went to Isla Janitzio nearby, epicenter of Nov 2 Dia de los Muertos celebrations for all of Mexico.

I am returning to MX in Feb. Running the coast to Mahahual. On a donkey if I have to.

Wish I was back in Galeana but spouse wants to confirm my reports of well being.

Friday night will be in La Posada in Laredo, leaving Sat morning for S.A. If you are in Laredo Fri night big botella de vino tinto on Roberto Loco.

Saludos and wish I was with you all

Major ride report in the works....

Bob
i have some pictures of you after the flyyyyyyyyyy later take up the forum

"Friday night will be in La Posada in Laredo, leaving Sat morning for S.A. If you are in Laredo Fri night big botella de vino tinto on Roberto Loco."

Bob , looks like you crossed at Colombia an hour before i did.

After riding solo back from Galeana passing through downtown Monterrey
I cancelled out the permit for my rig at the N.L. Laredo Bridge II.
Then attempted to cross (due to my truck being parked right under the bridge in the city lot would 've worked out fine if not for about a 2hr. wait on the bridge . So , i opted to go to Colombia bridge. After crossing , my headlight went out. So i spent a long time in the dark 20 miles north of Laredo
wiring the Ural sidecar spotlight which got me back to Laredo and my truck
at 8:30.

"Friday night will be in La Posada in Laredo, leaving Sat morning for S.A. If you are in Laredo Fri night big botella de vino tinto on Roberto Loco."

Bob , looks like you crossed at Colombia an hour before i did.

After riding solo back from Galeana passing through downtown Monterrey
I cancelled out the permit for my rig at the N.L. Laredo Bridge II.
Then attempted to cross (due to my truck being parked right under the bridge in the city lot would 've worked out fine if not for about a 2hr. wait on the bridge . So , i opted to go to Colombia bridge. After crossing , my headlight went out. So i spent a long time in the dark 20 miles north of Laredo
wiring the Ural sidecar spotlight which got me back to Laredo and my truck
at 8:30.

Hey Chango:
Just got back. Left at 9am. Arrived at 7 pm w/ going thru Monterey (only took half hour, no traffic on Saturdays) Passed thru Colombia bridge. Half hour there. Ate in the USA (fried chicken // 30 minutes) .

Glad you got back ok.
Sure was nice riding w/ you.

Vinny.

That countryside is absolutely amazing. That was some rugged switchbacky looking stuff you guys were riding.

tricepilot,

Glad to hear you are in such good spirits. Many of us have been following your SPOT and your posts. Can't wait for the trip report. I'll be riding through S.A. on Sunday on my way to Cuatrocienegas and back thru on Thursday. Glad you are healing up nicely.

Mike

Mike:
Just wondering, are you still in Cuatrocienegas? If so let us know maybe we can meet there. We live nearby in Monclova you must drive thru.

Anyone else tried to start one of the MexTrek routes on their GPS? I've got them all loaded up (and the Bici Maps as well) but when I try to start one, using the navigate option, the GPS comes up with a routing error. I can get it to show on the map but not navigate.

I'm thinking it's because the GPS is currenlty outside of the Bici map area. I can call up routes within the US just fine but once selecting one in Mexico I get the error. I'm guessing because there are two seperate map sets involved. Sound correct?

Just an update, the routes worked fine when initiated in Mexico. Guess the GPS didn't like routing using two different map sets (Garmin City Streets and Navigator and the Mexico Bici Maps). All was well!

Mike:
Just wondering, are you still in Cuatrocienegas? If so let us know maybe we can meet there. We live nearby in Monclova you must drive thru.

Antonio I am here at Quinta Santa Cecilia 869 6960017 in Cuatrocienegas. I love this place! I´ll PM you my cell.

Mike

I made it back to NC last night. 2 weeks and nearly 5k miles on the KLR. Had a blast. Ride report is pending.

Thanks Richard, Milton and everyone else involved with MexTrek. I had a blast. What a great bunch of folks on this forum.

Kenny

Just thought I'd give this a little bump. It's been a little over 3 years since I returned from this trip. I had a blast but life has thrown me a few curve balls and I haven't been able to make it back....yet....

Tonight I am sitting in a hotel in McAllen with TVIP and tourist permit in hand ready to blast across the border in the morning. Plan to work my way down to Oaxaca and then on to Zipolite where I'm gonna stick my toes in the sand and and sip on some cervezas frias for a couple of weeks.

Just thought I'd give this a little bump. It's been a little over 3 years since I returned from this trip. I had a blast but life has thrown me a few curve balls and I haven't been able to make it back....yet....

Tonight I am sitting in a hotel in McAllen with TVIP and tourist permit in hand ready to blast across the border in the morning. Plan to work my way down to Oaxaca and then on to Zipolite where I'm gonna stick my toes in the sand and and sip on some cervezas frias for a couple of weeks.

Our house is open to you in Austin if you would like to pass by on your way back.
You sure where nice to us at Barber.

Vinny.

Kenny really enjoyed the visit, can't wait for the return stories, good luck, and have a BLAST!!!! I'm jealous.:clap::rider:

Back