• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Oil Drip from Tube

Tree

Reaction score
Wondered if anyone else has seen this and knows the cause.

I recently went on a 2,000 mile week long trip. Every time I stopped for gas I noticed smoking due to oil dripping from one of the two tubes under bike onto the hot exhaust. The bike is losing oil at a rate of about 1/2 quart per 1000 miles. I'm trying to figure out why I have the oil dripping out of the tube.

Prior to leaving for the trip I cleaned the K&N Air filter, changed the plugs, changed the oil and filter, new tires, sprockets and chain. Maybe I pinched a breather tube or didn't get something back together correctly.

Appreciate any thoughts or suggestions.

I would trace down where the tube is originating from. Put some white paper under it and check the color. If it's red it may be excessive K&N oil off the filter from your air box. Also over filling the crank case can cause oil spray to get into your air box via the crank case breather.
I would be more concerned about that much oil loss. Make sure you are checking the oil the same way every time. After a ride, waiting the same amount of time after shut off and on level ground, tipping it off the side stand to it's balance point. It should be below the full mark in the sight glass.

Back