• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Friday ride @ Rio

It's doubtful I'll be out there tomorrow. Going to shoot for next Friday.
I had planned on running the TORCS race on Sept 6, but I may have a family thing out of town that day.

Jason - do the TORCS race on October 4-5; its just up the road and no membership or weekend pass needed!

Jason - do the TORCS race on October 4-5; its just up the road and no membership or weekend pass needed!

I've got a work thing that weekend. :(
At this point it may not happen, but it's unlikely.
My weekends book up fast with work and family stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok so good news, my work thing fell thru. Imma try and make this one. :thumb:
Any tips? This will be my first one.

A lot of good information on the TORCS site - http://www.torcsracing.com and on the TORCS forum on the "TON" - http://www.texasoffroad.net/forum/ubbthreads.php/forums/143/1/Texas_Off_Road_Championship_Se

The courses this year have been all off-road (hare scrambles), no moto-cross or enduro-cross sections. The loop is between 5-7 miles and each (adult) class races for 70 minutes. There are multiple classes on course at the same time, each class leaving the start in 1 minute intervals. Usually a dead engine start. The website has the schedule of when each race starts and the order of the individual classes. Everything so far this year has been pretty mild, course-wise. If there is a hard section there is usually an easier (longer though) option. Nothing dangerous except maybe some low tree branches. The October round is at a new property so I have no knowledge of course conditions, although if it's part of the SHNF then it will probably be sandy, no? Courses have been well marked with ribbons, arrows, X's, etc.

There is a practice session each day and you should be able to get in at least two practice laps. There are C and D classes both days but the course is generally less beat-up on Saturday since the C and D classes run before the A/B and Pros. Plus, the C and D classes race in the afternoon on Saturday is that's a plus. There is a fee to enter the property, normally $10 per person, with discounts for kids and seniors. You'll get a wrist band that you'll need to put on before practice. I think the normal race price is $40 (?) but there is a discount for members who pre-register. There's usually not long lines at the sign up trailer except for the first round. I belive they take credit cards and you will have to sign a waiver to race.

They will require you either rent or purchase a transponder for the day. I think it's $10 to rent and $40 to buy(?). I bought mine in 2007 and still use it today. They'll give you pre-printed, vinyl, temporary numbers at sign up unless you want to join and then can run your own numbers (if not already taken and there are some other considerations regarding number of digits, background colors, etc). You'll also be given colored, paper "dots" to put on your bike and helmet to denote which class you're in.

The D class is for true off-road beginners. If you have some off-road experience then they'll suggest the C class, either based on bike size or age classification.

The races are organized and run well. Jackie and Gil do an excellent job as do all the other volunteers - scorers, the sign up crew, course marshalls and sweeps. I've been racing with them since 2006 and try to make at least a couple rounds a year.

As far as bike prep - plan on fuel for at least 20 miles (plus practice), hand guards are a good idea and you'll need the aformentioned transponder which you can tape, ziptie or stick to your front fender. Some guys even carry it in a camelbak or zip tie it to their chest protectors. Some racers install pull straps on handelbars or rear subframes to help in case they get stuck. Some people slime their tires in case of flats. Almost everyone runs with some sort of hydration pack - highly recommended. If you're riding a 2T carry a spark plug and wrench with you just in case.

The biggest thing is to just have fun. You'll find pretty much everyone is laid back and enjoying themselves, people generally move over for you (as long as they're not in your class) and most will slow down or stop and ask if you're okay if you have a problem during the race.

If you've got access to a '91 or older bike come race the Double Decade class with us - it's a blast!

Good luck and I hope you have a good time.

There's a race this weekend, which means it opens at 10:00 Friday. Anyone want to ride?
Start early and beat the traffic home.

Rio Friday? Sounds good. I should be able to make it out by noon or a little before.

Rio Friday? Sounds good. I should be able to make it out by noon or a little before.

Well I hate to do this, but I'm backing out.
A friend needs some extra hands on a home remodel project, so I told him I'd help. Shame too, the weather looks to be perfect.

I'm out too. My next RORN series race is this weekend up by Lake Tawakani. But at least it should be great overnight camping weather. :sun:

Yea good luck to everyone on their upcoming races.
Looks like I will be riding Rio Saturday instead of Friday. I know it will be crowded due to lots of folks getting in last minute practice before their race Sunday. The last race of this series a couple of weeks ago @ 3 Palms had well over 400 entries.

Be careful Brian, lots of crazy's out there in practice. Good to see the series doing so well, many don't realize what a hot-bed of mx we have here in TX.

Yea for sure. If it looks too crazy, I'll just spectate. My son Kyle has some lessons scheduled & plans to ride afterwards.

Saw this in an email from Rio, and thought I'd pass it along....

IMPORTANT NOTICE!

ROAD CLOSURE AT RR Crossing on E.Mount Houston Rd.

Please use North Lake Houston Parkway from Beltway 8(Sam Houston Pkwy)

Thanks Jason. I guess that RR crossing is west of Rio? I come in from the east side from BW 8.

Saying Rio was crowded Saturday is the biggest understatement since Noah said "I think it's going to rain". The track was as rough & rutted as I've ever seen it. :giveup: I did not race Sunday but there were over 400 entries.

Saying Rio was crowded Saturday is the biggest understatement since Noah said "I think it's going to rain". The track was as rough & rutted as I've ever seen it. :giveup: I did not race Sunday but there were over 400 entries.

Yep, I believe Danny said 421 racers registered, 23 races x 2 motos made for a long day. I didn't leave until 6:30pm. When I arrived at 7:20am I couldn't believe the crowd, the place was packed. I've never seen it that full before and racers were still arriving. The track looked very nice Sunday though. The crew must of had a busy night after they ended practice on Saturday. Was a busy day for crashes also, broken bones for quite a few and one amputated finger also, ouch!!

_

I plan on going back to Rio Saturday for a ride. Hope they can get the tracked worked & in good shape after the storms that came through last night.

I plan on going back to Rio Saturday for a ride. Hope they can get the tracked worked & in good shape after the storms that came through last night.

Why don't you come to the TORCS HS in Willis Saturday. At least 73,245,364 gazillion, bazillion times more fun than endless, boring laps around that mx track year after year. You're really missing out on some fun. Come on Bryan, I know you would enjoy it. Expand your horizon.

Rio was a blast Saturday. Riding with my son & an old friend from DeQuincy La. It was a little wet early but turned out great. Got pretty rough & rutted but that made it challenging in a good way. I had made some pretty big suspension changes during the week & several fine tuning adjustments while we were there that made a big difference in the way the bike handled.
George I have ridden the forest several times & while it is OK, I find it boring ,but really enjoy riding Rio. But that's just me.

I was out at Rio late Sunday afternoon. The track had started to get pretty dry except in the shady spots. But there were plenty of nice deep ruts and it was fairly roughed up, so it was great for practice. Sorry I missed you all on Sat. Would have enjoyed making some laps again with you. I was all set to head that way Sat morning when my older son Sean (who almost never rides unless he is up at our ranch) announced that he wasn't doing anything, and would be willing to go riding with me if I knew a spot where there were some fun trails. So I postponed the Rio trip for another day. The boy really enjoyed riding at the forest, so it was very much a worth while endeavor. :rider: He even said he would like to get out on a proper MX track sometime to see what that was like. Music to my ears... Mission accomplished! :trust:

Rio was a blast Saturday. Riding with my son & an old friend from DeQuincy La. It was a little wet early but turned out great. Got pretty rough & rutted but that made it challenging in a good way. I had made some pretty big suspension changes during the week & several fine tuning adjustments while we were there that made a big difference in the way the bike handled.
George I have ridden the forest several times & while it is OK, I find it boring ,but really enjoy riding Rio. But that's just me.

:rider: I'll see you over there one of these days. I'm glad you didn't take my suggestion, no way you would have enjoyed the TORCS trail.

I'm headed to go help cull off a doe this weekend, but next Friday I'm planning in riding.
I like riding where there plenty of room for people to pass me :lol2:

Back