• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Easiest Tire to Mount

Reaction score
I'm fairly new to radial tires and need the advice of the forum concerning mounting tires. I've always "spooned" on tires myself until I tried my first set of radials. Maybe it was the brand or maybe it is true of all radials.
I tried to mount a set of Bridgestone T30s and found it to be impossible with hand tools. Is it possible with other brands or am I left at the mercy of shops that want 50+ per tire to mount.:giveup:
Thanks guys

Smoky

I'm fairly new to radial tires and need the advice of the forum concerning mounting tires. I've always "spooned" on tires myself until I tried my first set of radials. Maybe it was the brand or maybe it is true of all radials.
I tried to mount a set of Bridgestone T30s and found it to be impossible with hand tools. Is it possible with other brands or am I left at the mercy of shops that want 50+ per tire to mount.:giveup:
Thanks guys

Smoky
Very doable by hand.
It helps to start with a warm tire, this time of year that can be a challenge for some.
Real tire lube is super helpful as well.
You must keep the bead down in the rim drop center...this can be quite difficult at times. I have found the "Yellow Thing" from NoMar works very well
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LRIOSMO/?tag=twowhetex-20

I mount several tires a month and still do not own a tire machine... (Dynamic balancer Yes) and have not come across a tire I cant mount by hand. Though a few I will never do again by hand (ATV tire on a TW200 wheel)

I second the "yellow thing". Also, a couple of "C" clamps for pinching the tire on the opposite side of the tire from the side you are spooning.

Starting with a T30 is rough. I know this, because I mounted one yesterday. That is one super stiff tire. T30's were on clearance and I'm cheap so I grabbed a set, but my Michelin PR2's were always easy to install. Can't think of any that were easier than others but that T30 GT tire was stiff.

If you want difficult, change a tube tire on a 50cc dirt bike. That will use up every last bit of patience you have.

Starting with a T30 is rough. I know this, because I mounted one yesterday. That is one super stiff tire. T30's were on clearance and I'm cheap so I grabbed a set, but my Michelin PR2's were always easy to install. Can't think of any that were easier than others but that T30 GT tire was stiff.

If you want difficult, change a tube tire on a 50cc dirt bike. That will use up every last bit of patience you have.

There are a bunch of T30 tire configurations... MS・BELT, HTSPC, HTSPC & MS BELT and it just depends on front or rear, tire size and BATTLAX SPORT TOURING T30 EVO or BATTLAX T30 SPORT TOURING ..they are not all hard to mount, but some are worse then others all in this one tire "model"

Back