• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Dead duck...

Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Schmidt
The battery is not holding a charge. A voltmeter on the battery shows no change when I rev the motor. It seems to me that this could be a voltage regulator, rectifier bridge, or alternator.

Anyone know how to test the individual components?

The bike is a model year 2000 Suzuki SV 650, with a model year 2002 engine.

Any advice?

... Paul

Lots of folks are riding today so your responses may be slow in coming. I'd be riding too except I'm in the middle of a Farkleanza.

paul14814 said:
The battery is not holding a charge. A voltmeter on the battery shows no change when I rev the motor. It seems to me that this could be a voltage regulator, rectifier bridge, or alternator.

Anyone know how to test the individual components?

The bike is a model year 2000 Suzuki SV 650, with a model year 2002 engine.

Any advice?

... Paul

Are you using a digital multimeter? Sometimes the analog ones dont read well since the voltage change is minimal anyway. What kind of voltage are you reading? Did you try trickle charging the battery over night? I think the voltage regulator/rectifire going bad can cause a couple of different readings. When mine went bad, it showed 16.5 volts when the engine was revved up. Others have noted that it showed low when they revved the engine. You may also check the plug to the regulator/rectifire to make sure the connections are good and clean and use some dilectric grease on them. There are proceedures for checking the stator in the service manuals. What kind of bike is this?

Hope this helps some,
Vaughn

First I'd put a charger on it and see if it takes a charge. If it does, then see if it will hold it.

Edit - I just noticed the date :suicide: . Hope you figured it out....

The bike is fixed. Here's the deal...

The starter motor was putting a drag on the charging system. The starter was changed out and all is fine.

Back