• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

What is that Strange Noise?

Reaction score
Ok, I'm sure you've all had em - some weird noise creeps up while riding and you look everywhere but can't figure it out?!

I've got one and I'm just debating whether to take the bike to the dealer or a shop to have it checked out - if it turns out to be warranty, dropping it at Honda will be quicker but if it's just some minor thing, my local shop can fix it and I'll get the bike back faster.

So, the noise sounds alarmingly like a bearing on the back of the Honda (VTX1300) - 1 year old - 11k miles.

When I pull out hard from a stop and hit the clutch I hear a high pitched sound that immediately stops when I shift and let out the clutch. BUT it comes back and grows in intensity when I get above 70 mph. I've backed off at 80 and stopped running hard just cause I don't want something freezing up on me while cruising down the freeway! Would seem like a bad idea!

I'm thinking maybe this could be a bearing in the drive shaft? Are there any?

Any ideas before I give the bike up for several days while they try to find it?

STrider said:
Hmmm... A high pitched noise from the back of the bike on acceleration, that stops when you slow down?

In my case, that would be the S.O., if she would ever ride...
:rofl

Does sound like a bearing... is it louder when the bike is cool, then quiet down after operating for a while? That's usually a good sign of a bad bearing (not always though). Not knowing your bike, not sure which it could be though, maybe the main bearing or a bearing in the clutch system (throwout, release bearing, etc), if affected by the clutch...

:tab If it is the rear drive, I would expect the sound to be independent of what gear you are in. I would expect it to be dependent on speed and whether or not you might be on/off the gas (putting it under a load versus coasting). Given the consequences of a rear drive failure, I would go ahead and take it in to the dealer.

I dont know about the 1300 but the 1800 has 2 bearings in the drive plate between the differential and the wheel that are very prone to failure . They are 9 dollars worth of bearings that Honda wants 180$ for , they want to sell the coupling instead of the bearings. A 5 min job to press the old bearings out and new ones in . After seeing this I pulled the rear end of my Valk down to check it , it didnt have these bearings just an empty hole . Bottem line if its under warrenty take it to the dealer . SEYA

Back