• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Lone Star BMW sold?

Aso went to the B S A shop a lot between Belton and Temple on west side of 35, I wanted a Lightning 1972 model so bad, bought a honda 350 instead They had a BSA Rocket triple, the most beautiful bike ever made in my book.

I don't think correction is necessary, IMHO it's fair to say that LSCM 'morphed' into LSBMW. I do have recall of the sense that LSBMW was a 'continuation' of LSCM even with the slight name adjustment.

Your mention of the Guzzi dealer in Cedar Park jogs the memory ... there was a rather 'mad' Dutchman (literally, a fellow from the Netherlands with a rather notorious temper/demeanor) who worked at LSCM and was irrevocably tied to the Guzzi marque. That's the guy that took Guzzi to Cedar Park when LSCM closed - somewhat predictably not making a go of it. Does "Frans/Franz DeVeers or something similar ring a bell? The guy was scary on the Lime Creek Road runs of that era on a LeMans.

The name sounds familiar.

Did perhaps Robert and Peter buy out LSCM and move the business to Lamar?

Aso went to the B S A shop a lot between Belton and Temple on west side of 35, I wanted a Lightning 1972 model so bad, bought a honda 350 instead They had a BSA Rocket triple, the most beautiful bike ever made in my book.

I so badly wanted a Triumph Trident back in 1970, maybe I'm lucky never to have been able to afford one.
The BSA 250 Starfire was enough Britbike experience for me, though I absolutely loved the bike when it ran.

I stopped by and visited with Robert and the Lone Star family yesterday. Sean and Shane from Woods were there, both of whom were part of the new management team at Woods after it was bought out. They are very big riding enthusiasts. I have been dealing with them for two years for purchases and sponsorships for Roll The Bones Rally. I am not going to get too far in their business but as many of you know, Robert is a member of this forum and has read this thread. At some point, I suspect he might elaborate more. It has to be a tough choice to make such a decision. The new Woods have treated me fairly in my dealings so I can only hope that continues...that said....they have a very tough act to follow. :chug:

Henry's Motorcycles was on the north side of I35 between Belton and Temple in the 60s, just across from Sidles Sun Shades. IH35 is almost east and west between Belton and Temple. He also sold Yamaha.

I wonder if the Woods management would reconsider the decision to move the Triumph/BMW biz to the "Fun Center" (ugh) location?

I think they would be wise to consider the unique product lines, legacy, and customer base they are acquiring and keep it unique rather than folding it into the acres of bikes, ATV's, and watercraft where it will lose it's brand recognition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back in the 70s there was a local bike shop on Rancier in Killeen that carried almost a full stock of Honda parts. I'd find things in stock there that Killeen Honda, on US 190, didn't have. I know there was a Suzuki dealer in Killeen at that time, but I don't remember where it was.

I wonder if the Woods management would reconsider the decision to move the Triumph/BMW biz to the "Fun Center" (ugh) location?

I think they would be wise to consider the unique product lines, legacy, and customer base they are acquiring and keep it unique rather than folding it into the acres of bikes, ATV's, and watercraft where it will lose it's brand recognition.

BMW is pretty particular about store lay outs. Woods will have to conform to BMW specs to maintain the dealership. I asked the same question about location and LS will be moved to the Woods location but they will make extensive changes to accomodate the new lines.

BMW is pretty particular about store lay outs. Woods will have to conform to BMW specs to maintain the dealership. I asked the same question about location and LS will be moved to the Woods location but they will make extensive changes to accomodate the new lines.

In either location, major changes would have to be made. So for Woods, it makes sense to have it all in one location even though it may mean a major addition or new building at that site.

They might consider keeping the moniker. Carrying the torch so many are familiar with. (besides, the "Lone Star" aspect makes for nice design options on T-shirts, decals and such)

"Woods Lone Star BMW and Triumph" could have a nice ring to it.

They might consider keeping the moniker. Carrying the torch so many are familiar with. (besides, the "Lone Star" aspect makes for nice design options on T-shirts, decals and such)

"Woods Lone Star BMW and Triumph" could have a nice ring to it.

Based on what I have been told...the name will live on only in our hearts:tears:

Where exactly are they going to expand? I don't remember much extra space around their building.

Henry's Motorcycles was on the north side of I35 between Belton and Temple in the 60s, just across from Sidles Sun Shades. IH35 is almost east and west between Belton and Temple. He also sold Yamaha.
I bought(Dad paid) my first motorcycle from Henry's about 1964.I was 13 or 14. A yamaha 55cc. two stroke. The Japanese bikes were just starting to show up here in Texas. Before them, the thing for a kid that age was the cushman eagle. Two years later, I got a Yamaha 250 Big Bear Scrambler from Henry's. Henry used to sponser an event that was called The Hare and the Hounds. Basically the precurser to motocross.

I have heard rumblings that a long time BMW (and Triumph) dealer here in the Denver area has been getting pressured to split the BMW and Triumph parts of the showroom for the new BMW corporate brand style of facility. Their existing building bears no resemblance to the new style that BMW is pushing for. From what I understand Triumph has also changed much of their design, inventory levels and such in recent years with some new people running things. I think that is one of the factors that triggered the decision by the Waco and OKC dealers to drop Triumph.

".they have a very tough act to follow." 100% good luck with both parties involved. I think they need to leave the BMW dealership right where it is. Keep it in another building and then I might at least check it out. Other than that I might be done. I am also waiting for Sir Robert to chime in. He has his hands full right now with personal business and that is I bet one of the reasons (and that twisty road out by his house) to get out and enjoy life. Life is too short lets get out there and ride.:rider:

What about the Foremost/Dairyland insurance end of it? Can we still visit the smiling Jenny Lippincott somewhere!!! :lol2:
Talked to Jenny yesterday, she's staying in business!

Tapatalk on a Note 2.

I just finished reading this entire thread and I can't believe it.

I've bought several bikes from Lone Star and I am really sad to see them go. I bought my first BMW at Lone Star when they still were on Lamar close to Central Market. That was back in 1998. It was an R1200C (I had James Bond fever at the time).

They offered some of the best accessories of any shop in Central Texas. Like others here, I will miss their Christmas party. I haven't had a chance to go over the past couple of years and now, it's too late.

I wish Peter and Robert the best.

I haven't had a chance to go over the past couple of years and now, it's too late.

It's not too late to visit! They will be at their current location until around December. Plenty of time to go by and see everyone.

That's the name! I was going to TJC and learning A/C and trying to not go to Vietnam, I used to stop at Henry's on my way to Austin for the weekend, there wasn't much to do in Temple in 1970-72, lived at Shady Trailer park on Ave H. A lot of soldiers bought at Henry's nothing in Kileen or C C, now Kileen has Harley, Indian, Power Sports , and one more I think, and temple Belton have Horny-Toads Harley Davis' (like the old timers say it).

Back