• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

T-Minus Five Days....

No Rocket by the weekend. :-(
But I could ride up on the Tiger.
However 30% chance of TStorms for a 140 miles each way...the wife probably will Veto that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The one I checked says 20% but the forecast is just a guess. That means there is a 80-70% chance of NO rain!:sun:

@#*%!
Rocket was supposed to be here Monday, then it was pushed to Tuesday. Then they said Wednesday.
On Wednesday they said it would be Friday.
Today they say it will be next Tuesday.

And next Tuesday they will say............

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

UPDATE ON THE ROCKET III
News during the week went from bad to worse.
The freight company moved the delivery date out several times as I noted above.
Late on Friday I was informed that he bike had fallen over in the truck somewhere between Denver and Dallas.
The pictures inside the semi showed the Rocket on its side - actually 5-10 degrees beyond horizontal.
It had fallen off of the "pallet" and onto metal rails that support the second level of freight in the semi trailer. How long it had ridden like this was unknown.
I saw the pictures and my stomach just turned....this would not end well.
The dealer in Idaho implied it was our problem and to call our insurance company.
The freight company informed me I could file a claim but the coverage for this deal was only $0.60 a pound; the movers would pay out no more than ~$400 for damage. You can imagine my disappointment and frustration.
I emailed the dealer in Idaho and told them in a strongly worded message that this was 100% their responsibility and if the damage was severe I would refuse delivery and have it shipped back with the expectation of a replacement bike. I did not want to be paying for a new bike, but taking possesion of a wrecked and repaired bike. If the damage was minor, I would expect 100% coverage of repairs made in Austin.

I changed the delivery location from my house to Lone Star Triumph so that they could look at it and assess the damage.

The beautiful beast arrived today at 11:15. Scott from Lone Star and I climbed in the truck to take a look.
Scott's quick inspections estimated at least $3000 in damage. Bent fender, damaged exhaust, dented gas tank, etc. Coolant had leaked out from somewhere and to my horror the keys were in the ignition so it looks like someone must have started it which could have damaged the engine after being inverted for so long.

So - I called the dealer in Idaho, told him of Scott's opinion and told him I would refuse shipment.

His tune has changed a bit once he did research and realized that it was his folks that worked the deal and dropped off the bike with the shipper.
He said he understood my refusing the bike and he would take it back and see what could be done about replacing it. >>whew<<

So, I am ever hopeful that he will keep his word even after receiving the bike back and a new Rocket will be in route to me once again (different shipper) sometime in the next 4 weeks.

T-minus.......?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No crate can contain-the rocket.

Seriously, I hope it all gets worked out and ends in a complete triumph.

Fly and ride is the only answer!
The company wasn't "daily direct" (haul bikes dot com) was it?

Fly and ride is the only answer!
The company wasn't "daily direct" (haul bikes dot com) was it?

Yeah - Fly and Ride would be preferred, but it's a LONG haul and I don't have the PTO for work. Would need to stop the second day for the first service! ;-)
Fly and UHaul was looked into as well - expensive!
Scott at Lone Star mentioned a company he highly recommends; I plan to get the name and contact them.

The companies involved are Air Van and S.T.I. - Beware.

The dealer says they have used them for a long time with no issues shipping bikes all over.
Hmmmm - they don't seem at all customer or quality focused and were indifferent about what had happened and downright ice cold about the $0.60 per lb coverage even though it was their negligence that caused it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Doyle cancel the sale and just go to LSBMW and buy one there and save yourself a lot of grief. Sad to hear about the mishap. I do not know if I would use the same shipping company and give them a chance to goof up again. The weather was down right terrible rain wise. So it was good that it did not arrive in time. Several bikes were so wet they died out a few times. KP

Doyle cancel the sale and just go to LSBMW and buy one there and save yourself a lot of grief. Sad to hear about the mishap. I do not know if I would use the same shipping company and give them a chance to goof up again. The weather was down right terrible rain wise. So it was good that it did not arrive in time. Several bikes were so wet they died out a few times. KP

Thanks KP!
Wish I could have done the deal with the good people at Lone Star, but I am stuck for now.
Definitely won't use the same shipping company if/when a new bike is ready to ship!

UPDATE -
New Rocket III picked up Monday night in Idaho by a different freight service than the original.
The truck has to make more pick ups in the NW before returning to Milwaukee where it will be transferred to a Southbound truck.
Estimating ~3 weeks.

Re: T-Minus Five Days....(months)

The Rocket III Roadster arrived Monday a week ago....on a very rainy day in Cedar Park!

We met the semi truck at the Cedar Park Center (small entertainment arena) parking lot because that afforded a lot of room for the truck to easily maneuver. The original plan was to have the bike delivered to Lone Star, but they are closed on Mondays.

It was interesting to see that in that 80 foot trailer, the Rocket was the only bike on the first level.
The driver rolled it out as we got a momentary break in the weather.
Upon inspection we found some damage to the triple tree clamps; it looks as if they were damaged by tie downs – maybe too tight combined with heat of summer. It looks like the coating on the metal has been messed up and it’s ugly.
We are submitting a claim with the carrier, but it is not looking good. Even though we noted it with the driver and the driver’s paperwork, and the driver took pictures as well as us….the fine print says we needed to submit the “claim packet” (we were not given one) + pictures within 24 hours via email.
We did not do that until Wednesday = 48 hours.
In addition the require two estimates within a week. Well – the only place I know to get an estimate on Triumph repair is Lone Star, and the appointment isn’t until this Thursday so that will probably give them more reason to reject the claim.
Here is a picture of the damage. It looks kind of like it is simply some old adhesive, but it’s not. The metal is marred.
P63103 DAMAGE 1.jpg
P63103 DAMAGE 4.jpg
P63103 DAMAGE 6.jpg

Anyway, the rest of the bike was in good shape. What a beast! I rode it home a whopping 5 miles that Monday on the wet streets.

rocket3.jpg

rocket1.jpg

Since then, I have been busy and out of town on the weekend to move a kid to college. So I only have 76 miles on her at this point via some short evening rides.
It has been a blast getting to know the bike; very different from riding the Tiger 800!
I have been taking it easy as I learn the nuances of riding an 800 lb high torque machine like this.
Holding on for dear life a few times as I let fourth gear do its thing up to about 70mph. It is different feeling the full on wind vs. the Madstad windshield on the Tiger – but it helps keep me cool in this weather.

I take it in on Thursday to let the Lone Star team go over everything to make sure it was set up right. First gear has a very loud clunk when engaged and second gear is not smooth to engage as I let out the clutch. Third and Fourth are very smooth; fifth has not been played yet!
Pretty good amount of heat comes out on my right thigh after a few minutes, but speed will help with that.

Regardless of how the damage claim turns out, I am looking forward to riding this sexy beast around and getting to know her better!

There may be one possible way you could have made this transaction more complicated.

..but I can't think of it. Nice bike.

Back